Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
video capture not working
albertgarrido [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2017 09:13 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
anyone have any ideas what I should try?

I installed a VCR capture device with USB and RCA plugs.

I installed the driver and it works perfect with other programs.

But when I use with PD15 it captures the audio but video won't capture.

When I go to capture module, it recognizes it as a Video Cam (i believe this is intended) so that option is available. The microhone is also avaialable. I was able to capture audio and play it back. But when I click on the "web cam" and click on Record it just gives me an error (see attached). I tried all the different settings but nothing works.

Like i said, all other programs recognize the Video Cam and displays the video I'm playing through the VCR, but PD15 doesn't.

Hope someone can help.

I have a very new PC with Windows 10.

Thank you!

Al
[Thumb - pd15-vid-error.jpg]
 Filename
pd15-vid-error.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
185 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
72 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2017 17:04

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like you have the PC camera selected in PD capture module.

Click the Device button, look for your video capture device. The VCR capture device should show as 'Capture from a TV signal'.

Example picture attached.

[Thumb - VCR Capture device.JPG]
 Filename
VCR Capture device.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Capture from VCR device.
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
211 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2017 18:16

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It looks like you have the PC camera selected in PD capture module.

Click the Device button, look for your video capture device. The VCR capture device should show as 'Capture from a TV signal'.

Example picture attached.

Not sure what you mean by the "Device button".

If you mean the devices in the attachment you uploaded, the only thing available to click is the mic, video cam, external optical device, and screen.

Where is the "Device" button?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I am sorry, the button I am referring to is labeled "Settings" in the Capture Module on the lower Right.

For your Video capture device to be detected, it must be connected before you enter the Capture Module and the Device driver must be installed in Windows. Not all capture devices have a correct driver for Powerdirector to use.

[Thumb - Setting button in Capture module.jpg]
 Filename
Setting button in Capture module.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Selecting the capture device
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
177 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I am sorry, the button I am referring to is labeled "Settings" in the Capture Module on the lower Right.

For your Video capture device to be detected, it must be connected before you enter the Capture Module and the Device driver must be installed in Windows. Not all capture devices have a correct driver for Powerdirector to use.

frist of all...thank you for all your help!

Ok...found the button.....however, when I go there, the drop down to change the capture device is "grayed out" and won't let me change it. See attached.

I've tried changing some of the other values to see it allows me to change it, but nothing.

Not sure what else to do. I've tried deleting the driver that was installed when I connected the device and reinstalling...but nothing.

Any other ideas?
[Thumb - pd15-vid-error2.jpg]
 Filename
pd15-vid-error2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
162 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
83 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The capture icon for VCR/VHS is the TV icon ( capture with a TV signal).

Try a different USB port.
Also, if you can capture with another program, that is not a crime. Use another program and go on with your life.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 04. 2017 08:21

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The capture icon for VCR/VHS is the TV icon ( capture with a TV signal).

Try a different USB port.
Also, if you can capture with another program, that is not a crime. Use another program and go on with your life.

Barry...thank you again for the help.

Unfortunatley the icon for VCR/VHS is grayed out and I can't click it.

This is frustrating...I've tried everything....different USB ports, unistall/reinstall driver, rebooted several times, plugged in device with and without PD15 running...but I just can't get it to recognize the video.

All the other programs that use video recogize the device and I can see the video on screen, but I don't have another capture program and didn't want to spend more money on something that PD15 should be able to do.

Have any other ideas?

Thanks agian!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2017 08:23

Carl312
[Post New]
Did your Capture device come with software to record the captured Video.

Many Capture devices come with a software named "Arcsoft Total Media Exteme" or "Arcsoft Total Media".

If you have software that came with the device, record your capture with that software then Import the video file into Powerdirector for editing. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

albertgarrido [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did your Capture device come with software to record the captured Video.

Many Capture devices come with a software named "Arcsoft Total Media Exteme" or "Arcsoft Total Media".

If you have software that came with the device, record your capture with that software then Import the video file into Powerdirector for editing.

nope...did't come with that

i'm a pain...aren't I! :
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I use YAWCAM to grab still images from a wireless camera that is connected via a USB capture device. I transfer still images to my webspace by ftp with it, all automatic once set-up. It's very versatile and will also grab video. Have a look at it, in my experience it sometimes works where other apps have failed. It's donation-ware for a cancer charity.
Daniel JK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2021 00:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Still not solved! At least for me.

I had the exact same problem. The Adesso Video Capture USB came with a PowerDirector dvd. I thought that meant it was software that would work with the USB it came with. Nope. No where did the instructions indicate I needed to upgade nor did the software indicate was not full feature. Other than the offer to upgrade mentioned by the OP.

I Know the USB was working because I could click on the mic icon and in settings it had the USB Coverter as an option.

It wasn't easy to find this thread and that's where I realized I needed to upgrade. So, $21 later and the software still won't let me switch to capture TV signal. It still detects the audio when I click on the mic capture...but no VHS video.