Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does not work with Gear 360 videos
Daviator00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2015 16:05 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded the trial for Power Director 15 as it's supposed to support 360 videos. I saved the video from my Gear 360 camera via the phone (so it IS stitched) but it fails to import with Power Director 15 saying "Your version of Power Director doesn't support this feature". I get the same error for the unsticthed video.

VLC can even play it and both versions import fine into the striped down Power Director version that comes with the camera.

Also, the upgrade price from v13 to v15 is the same and non-upgrade price. WTF? Not that I'll be upgrading as it doesn't work as advertised.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Daviator00 -

PDR15 works perfectly fine with stitched videos from Gear360. Screenshot attached.

It's more likely you received that alert because the trial version has limitations. The full version will work correctly.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Gear360 in PDR15.png]
 Filename
Gear360 in PDR15.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
536 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Daviator00 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Daviator00 -

PDR15 works perfectly fine with stitched videos from Gear360. Screenshot attached.

It's more likely you received that alert because the trial version has limitations. The full version will work correctly.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

What's the point of "trial" version if I can test the one feature I need? I don't want to plunk down $60 to end up at the same place I am now.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm just a PDR user, like you. I don't have any influence on what features are limited in the trial version. I agree - it makes it difficult to test whether PDR is the right thing for you...

BUT - I thought what I posted might reassure you that you WON'T "plunk down $60 to end up at the same place I am now."

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 01. 2017 23:08

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought. In the past people have stated that they had no difficulty in getting a full refund when they had purchased PDR and it turned out that it did not 'fit the bill'. I think (stand to be corrected here) that the money back offer is for 30 days so this might be a good option for you.

Personally I would have thought that making the trial fully functional but perhaps with full watermarking might be a better option than making it impossible for people to evaluate it properly.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Daviator00 -

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

What's the point of "trial" version if I can test the one feature I need? I don't want to plunk down $60 to end up at the same place I am now.

Sorry, I just realized that this is redundant withTony's post. Please answer the question at the end.

Perhaps it is not just a 360 limitation. There are other limitations that you should consider:

Limitations 30-day trial version
Limited template pack
NewBlue effect pack limited to 10 effects
Does not include CyberLink WaveEditor
Importing and producing H.264 video files is only supported on Windows 10/8.1/8/7 systems or hardware platforms offering independent H.264 encoding and decoding
Watermark appears at the beginning of produced videos (5 seconds)
2K/4K resolution H.264 video files are not supported Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available

Did you try importing the raw non-stitched video file from the Camcorder's memory card?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2017 08:57

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Daviator00 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Daviator00 -

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

Sorry, I just realized that this is redundant withTony's post. Please answer the question at the end.

Perhaps it is not just a 360 limitation. There are other limitations that you should consider:

Limitations 30-day trial version
Limited template pack
NewBlue effect pack limited to 10 effects
Does not include CyberLink WaveEditor
Importing and producing H.264 video files is only supported on Windows 10/8.1/8/7 systems or hardware platforms offering independent H.264 encoding and decoding
Watermark appears at the beginning of produced videos (5 seconds)
2K/4K resolution H.264 video files are not supported Importing and producing H.265 video files is not available

Did you try importing the raw non-stitched video file from the Camcorder's memory card?

Hi stevek,

I tried both the non-stitched AND stiched files. Neither would work. Just in case I tried them in the striped down version of Power Director that came with the camera and both imported just fine. I would just stick with that version but it reduces the quality of videos.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quality will be reduced based on your hardware. That camcorder will do very high resolutions but your computer and monitor MAY not.

Please clarify that you tried the 360 Editor in Power Director. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Daviator00 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Quality will be reduced based on your hardware. That camcorder will do very high resolutions but your computer and monitor MAY not.

Please clarify that you tried the 360 Editor in Power Director.

I tried the 360 Editor in PD 15 Trial but it will not import the videos, either stiched or unstiched. The striped down version of PD that comes with the Gear 360 camera does NOT import as full res.

I have signicant and new hardware so that should not be the issue. Besides, video from my GoPro and Canon DSLs import fine and look awesome.
ynotfish
[Post New]
The list of limitations Steve posted & I linked says: "2K/4K resolution H.264 video files are not supported". That is the reason the files will not import.

As previously stated, this is NOT a limitation in the full version.

Cheers - Tony
Daviator00 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I downloaded the trial for Power Director 15 as it's supposed to support 360 videos. I saved the video from my Gear 360 camera via the phone (so it IS stitched) but it fails to import with Power Director 15 saying "Your version of Power Director doesn't support this feature". I get the same error for the unsticthed video.

VLC can even play it and both versions import fine into the striped down Power Director version that comes with the camera.

Also, the upgrade price from v13 to v15 is the same and non-upgrade price. WTF? Not that I'll be upgrading as it doesn't work as advertised.

I took the bait and paid for the upgrade version. What a mistake.

First of all, the stitched videos that came from Action Director had a black blob in the middle of them. Yes, a "fix" was provide by Cyberlink that removed the blob but then it added random severe wobbling in the videos.

At this point I've had it with both Samsung (camera overheats in mild temps and the phone app software crashes often) and Cyberlink. Cyberlink has not communicated since I provide the dxdiag logslast week.

Therefore PowerDirector 15 is useless to me as I can't release wobbling videos.

Next, I went to Cyberlink's FAQ page that lists the phone number to call for a refund (1 800 872 9204) only that is nothing but a recording trying to sell me a medical alert device!

I guess I'll have to dispute the charges with PayPal.
stevek
[Post New]
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356 .
Daviator00 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I prefer to speak with a human if possible, to know that the order has been truly processed.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=14222

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 19. 2017 18:18