Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re:Any 4K burning software yet?, The answer is yes, sort off, in a way...
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Just curious, how is the 1060 performing in PD? and what card did you have before? Can you stream Netflix or Amazon 4K with it?
Don't have Netflix and never looked for Amazon Prime 4K. I'll have to check it out.

As for PD15, GTX1060 works great with it. Don't have a 4K camcorder, but I do a lot of 1080p MPEG2 to MP4 TV shows. PD15 can down convert 1080p(8 to 12Mbps depending on channel) to 720p 5Mbps one hour show in less than 6min. usually no editing although sometimes I might trim the beginning some. My previous GPU was ATI R7870 so the difference was VERY significant. PD just seems to have better support for nVidia GPUs.

I have a Sony 3D camcorder, but I haven't gotten into editing in 3D much. I'm the only one in the family with 3D TV LOL Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

I never said that the burner does the authoring, not sure how you got that. What I did say is that it takes an incredible amount of processing and drive power to author a disc and new drives were needed in the past with the new technology. UHD is a new technology that requires a new drive, processor and motherboard to play, so expecting the Blu-ray burning laser to work burning should not be expected.

UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task. If it is possible to provide UHD BD burning, from what I have learned about CL is they usually want to be the first. I would not expect it as a simple search will tell you that there are no UHD burners out there yet. I guess we'll find out next month for sure though.

Dave

It does not take " incredible processing and drive power" , my previous now 8 year old pc did it just fine, for UHD you simply need more time since there is more data. And the burning time is limited by the disc and that has not changed much over the last 3 years or more. The main reason I got a new optical drive was to accomodate the new BDXL format.

My first experience with UHD was in March 2014, I was able to edit 4K using PD12 ? and burn to BR as a file and play pack w/o problems on an i7 in 4K using a $60 GPU. Changing that to a $180 GTX960 made a huge improvement in rendering time and allowed pb at 60 fps. rather than 30.

For UHD you do not need to burn 3 layers, 66GB discs are available pressed only, you can only buy 3 layer 100GB blancs.

Using HEVC a 2 layer 50GB disc can give us 2 hours, and 50GB blancs are a UHD standard. I have some commercial UHD 50 GB disc videos.

I too hope that CL will want to be the first, they had a whole year to cook this up.

So UHD is no big deal, same bunch of numbers only at a faster rate, assuming you have a good GPU, the CPU is not that critical any more for video editing.

I think that PCs that can do HD w/o stutter will be just fine with UHD as long as shadow files are used.

Eugene

Eugene, What a fascinating discussion above! Helpful to one who is not really up to speed with the latest technological developments like me!

Well 4k has been around for a couple of years now in both TV's and cameras of all brands and still we can't burn 4K onto a Blu Ray disc. It seems that the only way enthusiasts can see 4K/UHD on their TV's is via USB memory sticks and even then mine won't play MP4 audio which I had to convert to .MKV to play the audio. This too on a Panasonic Blu Ray player from a Panasonic camera! Ha! Don't the Lumix Dept talk to the Blu Ray Dep't?

Someone on Google search said you can stream 4K video via Windows Media Player to your 4K TV but I couldn't make that work.

But we are all used to burning Blu Ray discs for HD videos and we would automatically expect the technology to keep pace with 4K TV's and 4K Blu Ray players. So why isn't it?

And all the time I am inundated with Cyberlink ads pushing me to buy PD15 just before they bring out PD16 so it seems. Mmmm! And some here are hoping for PD16 to be able to burn 4K discs.
Is that likely to be the case now that we are well into September, 2017?
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

I never said that the burner does the authoring, not sure how you got that. What I did say is that it takes an incredible amount of processing and drive power to author a disc and new drives were needed in the past with the new technology. UHD is a new technology that requires a new drive, processor and motherboard to play, so expecting the Blu-ray burning laser to work burning should not be expected.

UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task. If it is possible to provide UHD BD burning, from what I have learned about CL is they usually want to be the first. I would not expect it as a simple search will tell you that there are no UHD burners out there yet. I guess we'll find out next month for sure though.

Dave

It does not take " incredible processing and drive power" , my previous now 8 year old pc did it just fine, for UHD you simply need more time since there is more data. And the burning time is limited by the disc and that has not changed much over the last 3 years or more. The main reason I got a new optical drive was to accomodate the new BDXL format.

My first experience with UHD was in March 2014, I was able to edit 4K using PD12 ? and burn to BR as a file and play pack w/o problems on an i7 in 4K using a $60 GPU. Changing that to a $180 GTX960 made a huge improvement in rendering time and allowed pb at 60 fps. rather than 30.

For UHD you do not need to burn 3 layers, 66GB discs are available pressed only, you can only buy 3 layer 100GB blancs.

Using HEVC a 2 layer 50GB disc can give us 2 hours, and 50GB blancs are a UHD standard. I have some commercial UHD 50 GB disc videos.

I too hope that CL will want to be the first, they had a whole year to cook this up.

So UHD is no big deal, same bunch of numbers only at a faster rate, assuming you have a good GPU, the CPU is not that critical any more for video editing.

I think that PCs that can do HD w/o stutter will be just fine with UHD as long as shadow files are used.

Eugene

Eugene, What a fascinating discussion above! Helpful to one who is not really up to speed with the latest technological developments like me!

Well 4k has been around for a couple of years now in both TV's and cameras of all brands and still we can't burn 4K onto a Blu Ray disc. It seems that the only way enthusiasts can see 4K/UHD on their TV's is via USB memory sticks and even then mine won't play MP4 audio which I had to convert to .MKV to play the audio. This too on a Panasonic Blu Ray player from a Panasonic camera! Ha! Don't the Lumix Dept talk to the Blu Ray Dep't?

Someone on Google search said you can stream 4K video via Windows Media Player to your 4K TV but I couldn't make that work.

But we are all used to burning Blu Ray discs for HD videos and we would automatically expect the technology to keep pace with 4K TV's and 4K Blu Ray players. So why isn't it?

And all the time I am inundated with Cyberlink ads pushing me to buy PD15 just before they bring out PD16 so it seems. Mmmm! And some here are hoping for PD16 to be able to burn 4K discs.

--------------------

7PHIL77,

you are an oldtimer! It must have been fascinating to see all these various inovations as they appeared over the years!. I used to be a user of Pinnacle for a very long time but changed to PD when P* failed to keep their software up to the prevailing standards. In particular the absence of proxy editing, it's lack made it difficult to editit HD on a slow PC.

So here we are approaching an other milestone, UHD burning, and we will find out in a few weeks if our hopes are fullfilled. Unfortunately at this time there is no other software to switch to. Last year rumors circulated that UHD burning was not incorporated in PD15, that proved to be true. So far nothing this year, apparently samples of PD16 have not gone out yet.

I wonder why CL has these end of version sales, buyers invariably will feel cheated when they discover that a new version appeared shortly after purchase.

Google " amazing 4K flowers" on youtube, it is perhaps the best video I have ever seen and it plays just fine in 4$ using the Window player. A lot depends on the video card.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 07. 2017 13:09

[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Dave

Eugene

--------------------

7PHIL77,

you are an oldtimer! It must have been fascinating to see all these various inovations as they appeared over the years!. I used to be a user of Pinnacle for a very long time but changed to PD when P* failed to keep their software up to the prevailing standards. In particular the absence of proxy editing, it's lack made it difficult to editit HD on a slow PC.

So here we are approaching an other milestone, UHD burning, and we will find out in a few weeks if our hopes are fullfilled. Unfortunately at this time there is no other software to switch to. Last year rumors circulated that UHD burning was not incorporated in PD15, that proved to be true. So far nothing this year, apparently samples of PD16 have not gone out yet.

I wonder why CL has these end of version sales, buyers invariably will feel cheated when they discover that a new version appeared shortly after purchase.

Google " amazing 4K flowers" on youtube, it is perhaps the best video I have ever seen and it plays just fine in 4$ using the Window player. A lot depends on the video card.

Eugene

Eugene,

Yes, I started with Pinnacle too on an Intel P4 computer back in the day and experienced numerous problems and eventually changed over to CL.

I will have a look at that "Flowers" 4K YT video soon and interestingly enough my first test footage in 4K has been of my back garden including zoomed-in close ups of the flowers, adding music to the existing audio. I will now go and take some steadier footage using a tripod hoping to improve the whole look and making it good enough for uploading to YT.

One of the websites I went to had a test which said my GPU wasn't good enough for playing back 4K video so I may have to look at that although I have not had any problems so far except with my CL PD14 where several times it would not import my converted .MKV files last night. So I had to import the MP4 ones for the above test video.

Cheers,

Phil in Australia.
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
I've been quiet lately, but I too am keen to see what PD16 has in store for UHD BD Authoring as I'm looking at the new range of UHD Camcorders that also do High Frame Rates (50/60p). Creating a complient UHD BD Structure is not a big change from normal BD. There are some header and meta data differences to allow players to know it is UHD BD Discs and of course it will be 265 encoded (that PD already does).

I would be surprised if PD16 does not include a UHD BD Authoring option, but you never know.

Thanks

Nathan
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've been quiet lately, but I too am keen to see what PD16 has in store for UHD BD Authoring as I'm looking at the new range of UHD Camcorders that also do High Frame Rates (50/60p). Creating a complient UHD BD Structure is not a big change from normal BD. There are some header and meta data differences to allow players to know it is UHD BD Discs and of course it will be 265 encoded (that PD already does).

I would be surprised if PD16 does not include a UHD BD Authoring option, but you never know.

Thanks

Nathan

Welcome back Nathan.Yes, CL has the people that know how to do this, after all they came up with a UHD BD player PD DVD, so they are familiar with the BD structures, should be a piece of cake. And that is all that is missing. And that structure is not encrypted, so it could be reverse engineered.

Surprisingly, in spite of all the many 4K video sources, nobody else has done it yet for any other than the big league studio market.

Cannon has some good 4K camcorders, so das Panasonic. Sony has disappointed a lot of people wth their new FDR AX700, replacement for my AX100, by not having 60P.

Guess we will know in a few days.Keeping my fingers crossed.

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2017 22:40

[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Dave

Eugene

--------------------

7PHIL77,

Eugene

Saw the flowers 4K video a few days ago now and it was very good.
It provoked me to do my first trial C4K video on the flowers (daisey-like) in my back yard which can be seen on YT by entering the title - "Cinema 4K Daiseys trial video".

And why doesn't CL let you copy and paste URL's? Crikey!

ATM the only way I can play my own 4K videos on my TV is via USB stick in .mkv format.
Eugen157
[Post New]
7PHIL77,

Even after owning a AX100 for about 3 1/2 years I am still amazed as to what it can do. The detail and color of

your video is just outstanding. Thanks for posting it

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
[Post New]
Quote 7PHIL77,

Even after owning a AX100 for about 3 1/2 years I am still amazed as to what it can do. The detail and color of

your video is just outstanding. Thanks for posting it

Eugene

Eugene,

Your Sony looks like it has good specs for 4K and in some ways similar to the new Sony RX10 IV.

Thanks for your comments on my video.

I used a tripod with the Panasonic FZ2500 and used the slow zoom buttons on the side of the lens.
Cinema 4K is 4096 pixels wide = 64x64, so (8x x (8x pixels wide or 16x16x16 or (8+x(8+x(8+.
Apparently there are 4096 web colours. Interesting how they arrive at these numbers.

Cheers,

Phil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2017 21:47

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Eugen157
[Post New]
Any 4K burning software yet?

The answer is yes. Sort of, in a way, better than nothing etc.

UHD CREATOR allows the burning of my AX100 camcorder 4K material, (edited in PD14), onto a 25/50GB disc and then to be played on a regular UHD BR player.

The software is similar to TsMuxer, there is no menu, chapters are automaticallly created every 5 min and it is possible to burn more than 1 title at a time.

Any BR burner will do just fine. UHD-C converts my 8bit 4K 264 or 265 video to 10 bit, creates the proper BDM/CERTIFICATE files that I then burn onto a usually 25GB BR disc, using IMG burn or Roxy.

UHD-C conversion from 8 to 10 bit was painfully slow with a GTX960 but the addition af a GTX1060 solved that problem, conversion is app 2x real time.

Picture quality is excellent.

So that is all there is and most likely all there will ever be.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 17. 2018 13:05

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank You Eugene. You have given 4k PD Users great hope for what is possible in future versions of PowerDirector.

PowerDVD 18 and 17 are able to read protected commercial uhd BD on certain uhd BD drives with certain intel cpu/mb combinations using a section of protected memory. Would like to know if you have tried the trial versions of those and if they work with your homemade uhd BDs.
Eugen157
[Post New]
No, I have not tried PowerDVD because my motherboard and CPU are not adequate for it. My UHD DVDs play ok on VLC, Potplayer and Mediaplayer Classic 64.
UHD Creator is supposed to get a menu with the next couple of SW updates, I will mention it on this site. Since it can play different titles already, a menu should not be that difficult.

I hate to admit that there is not a great demand for UHD burning software. CL could take advantage of that by making a UHD authoring plugin that would work with different editors.

PD14,
[Post New]
Quote Any 4K burning software yet?

The answer is yes. Sort of, in a way, better than nothing etc.

UHD CREATOR allows the burning of my AX100 camcorder 4K material, (edited in PD14), onto a 25/50GB disc and then to be played on a regular UHD BR player.

The software is similar to TsMuxer, there is no menu, chapters are automaticallly created every 5 min and it is possible to burn more than 1 title at a time.

Any BR burner will do just fine. UHD-C converts my 8bit 4K 264 or 265 video to 10 bit, creates the proper BDM/CERTIFICATE files that I then burn onto a usually 25GB BR disc, using IMG burn or Roxy.

UHD-C conversion from 8 to 10 bit was painfully slow with a GTX960 but the addition af a GTX1060 solved that problem, conversion is app 2x real time.

Picture quality is excellent.

So that is all there is and most likely all there will ever be.

Eugene

Thanks so much Eugene for that.

When I did a search for UHD Creator it came up with this link - https://dvdfab.cn/uhd-creator.htm

Thanks CL for not allowing copy and paste of URL's!

Which also comes up with a pop-up to receive 50% off Exclusive to Existing Customers.
So the $59 no doubt USD would be about $29.50 if you are already a customer.

Now I will have to see how much UHD DVD players are and see if I can afford both.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2018 13:17

Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Eugen157
[Post New]
Amazon has a UHD player for $ 62 Magnafox brand, and some good choices around a $ 100. Mine is a 2 year old Samsung 8500 from Costco.

I had an email indicating that a menu will be added to UHD creator fairly soon. I bought that software for $29 over two month ago and it was a dud, after some updates now I am glad I did.

PD14,
[Post New]
Quote Amazon has a UHD player for $ 62 Magnafox brand, and some good choices around a $ 100. Mine is a 2 year old Samsung 8500 from Costco.

I had an email indicating that a menu will be added to UHD creator fairly soon. I bought that software for $29 over two month ago and it was a dud, after some updates now I am glad I did.

Eugene

Eugene, I downloaded the trial version of DVDFab UHD Creator, and, with a bit of help from the creators was able to burn my 4K UHD video onto a 25GB Blu-ray disc.

I read somewhere that Xbox One S (and X of course) can play 4K UHD discs so I tried it in there. It played but the colours were far too saturated with all the detail missing. Maybe my boys can look at changing the setting later on.

So this afternoon I took the disc to a Hi Fi store where they had an Oppo 4K UHD player hooked up to a projector showing on a huge screen. It worked perfectly with no over-saturated colours.

This convinced me that the DVDFab software had worked perfectly so I went to JB HiFi who had a special on a Sony UPB-X800 for $380.
Then it was time to compare the 4K video on the USB Memory stick with the 4K video on the 25GB Blu-ray disc.
The video on the Blu-ray disc looked perfect and just the same as that on the USB thumb drive.
Pausing on a close-up of a white daisy flower suggested identical level of detail on both media! The same result with a purple/claret daisy flower!

Thanks again Eugene! A great result! Phil

PD14 Ultra

Eugen157
[Post New]
Good news Phil and thanks for passing it on.

I too had the color problem you mentioned but only with the VLC PC player software. The cause may be that it is 10bits, just a guess. So far not aware of any commercial UHD player that will NOT play these BR discs.

You have a GTX960 so the rendering must have taken a lot of time. This UHD burning made me change to a GTX1060, rendering in UHD CREATOR is now app 2X real time from app 30X real time.

Phil, please mention your experience on the PD16 forum, to inform others. In particular because of your PC's specs. This thread is only on the PD15 forum and has very few readers.

One question if I may, why did you choose this particular Sony player?

Eugene

PS
I read the whole thread again and YES, WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY. !!!!!!!!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at May 26. 2018 13:25

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
[Post New]
Quote Good news Phil and thanks for passing it on.

I too had the color problem you mentioned but only with the VLC PC player software. The cause may be that it is 10bits, just a guess. So far not aware of any commercial UHD player that will NOT play these BR discs.

You have a GTX960 so the rendering must have taken a lot of time. This UHD burning made me change to a GTX1060, rendering in UHD CREATOR is now app 2X real time from app 30X real time.

Phil, please mention your experience on the PD16 forum, to inform others. In particular because of your PC's specs. This thread is only on the PD15 forum and has very few readers.

One question if I may, why did you choose this particular Sony player?

Eugene

PS
I read the whole thread again and YES, WE HAVE COME A LONG WAY. !!!!!!!!

Eugene,

Thanks for that.

Yes, you may be correct with the 30 min estimate for rendering! Currently burning another disc to see what time it does take.
I bought this PC especially for video and photo editing from Melbourne a year ago so perhaps I need to upgrade to the GTX1060.

I will try to find the time to post on PD16 forum as you suggest.

I chose the Sony UBP-X800 for a couple of reasons.
I did research which showed several reviews listing it together with others.
Also, only Sony and Panasonic BR players will play AVCHD 2.0. Samsung won't (as least not when I was looking a little while back - apparently it is a codec agreed by Sony and Panasonic and CL uses AVCHD 2.0).
The Oppo is twice the price.
Yesterday JB HiFi knocked over AU$100 off the price.

And everything in the US is so much cheaper than here in Australia as our population is so much smaller with far less buying power.

Cheers,

Phil.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 27. 2018 21:25

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Eugen157
[Post New]
Hello Phil

You live in a very pleasant city, my brother lives there, so my wife and I had the pleasure of exploring Melbourne and surrounding area a number of times. And viewing the Southern Cross, wow.

I found out about the AVCHD AFTER buying the Samsung but it is not a major deal because we mostly use a $45 Seiki player that does a good upscaling job to 4K and is region free, since we have many German videos. So the Samsung is only used for UHD.

Sorry about the higher prices. Many years ago I would buy PAL/NTSC VHS recorders as well as PAL/NTSC TV sets in one of your department stores because THAT stuff was more expensive here, if one could find it.

It always aroused suspicion from the customs people, why would anyone in his right mind buy a TV set in Australia and I came close to having everything being taken apart. But they usually cooled down after the PAL/NTSC explanation with my German accent being additional proof.

Looking forward to your " UHD BR can do" report.

I too dislike the inability to copy and paste !!

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2018 16:19

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,