Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re:Any 4K burning software yet?, The answer is yes, sort off, in a way...
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Is any 4K BR burning software around that is reasonably priced?? PD16 ??

Gene

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 16. 2018 21:26

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I did some searching on Google. Links below what I found.

Free Demo version. Don't know about purchase.

http://www.jargon-tech.com/website/indigo.html

There is also Nero Burning Rom 2017 and , not sure how it works with 4K blu Ray.

Nero 2017 Platinum, the community says it does not create menus and such, but will burn to blu ray 25GB and 50GB disks, 4K content in h.265 HEVC.

https://www.nero.com/enu/products/nero-platinum/index.php?NeroSID=856441560ebf92149d7f66afcd9de9c6&vlang=us

It looks to be still be early for 4K burning software.

Carl Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The Indigo Ultra is interesting. I would be signing up for the demo if I have a kaby lake processor and a uhd bd compatible drive.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I did some searching on Google. Links below what I found.

There is also Nero Burning Rom 2017 and , not sure how it works with 4K blu Ray.

Nero 2017 Platinum, the community says it does not create menus and such, but will burn to blu ray 25GB and 50GB disks, 4K content in h.265 HEVC.

https://www.nero.com/enu/products/nero-platinum/index.php?NeroSID=856441560ebf92149d7f66afcd9de9c6&vlang=us

Carl

Thank you Carl for posting these items. I replied to Jargon some time ago and had no reply since I identified myself as a hobbyist, did not want to waste their time.But I tried it again today.

As to Nero, there are a number of reports that it does not burn the complete UHDBR standard yet. As you pointed out there is nothing in our price bracket yet. I pin my hopes on PD16 but that is at least 4 month away. All it takes is something along the lines of TsMuxer, just to instruct the 4K BR player what to do.

My UHD player is a Samsung 8500, got it for @220 at CC and it will play PD14 4K HEVC, but as a file only, no menus or chapters etc. Basically what Nero and PD14 and most others can do now.

Some of these outfits could make some money by selling a barebones version, like TsMuxer but too much trouble I assume.But would be hacked and copied in no time, so why bother.

Odd, considering that most new mid range camcorders, point and shoot and cell phones have 4K recording ability.

Thanks again

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2017 16:16

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote I did some searching on Google. Links below what I found.

Carl

Thank you Carl for posting these items. I replied to Jargon some time ago and had no reply since I identified myself as a hobbyist, did not want to waste their time.But I tried it again today.

As to Nero, there are a number of reports that it does not burn the complete UHDBR standard yet. As you pointed out there is nothing in our price bracket yet. I pin my hopes on PD16 but that is at least 4 month away. All it takes is something along the lines of TsMuxer, just to instruct the 4K BR player what to do.

My UHD player is a Samsung 8500, got it for @220 at CC and it will play PD14 4K HEVC, but as a file only, no menus or chapters etc. Basically what Nero and PD14 and most others can do now.

Some of these outfits could make some money by selling a barebones version, like TsMuxer but too much trouble I assume.But would be hacked and copied in no time, so why bother.

Odd, considering that most new mid range camcorders, point and shoot and cell phones have 4K recording ability.

Thanks again

Eugene

Well,Cyberlink is advertising "Final Sale" for PD15, so maybe PD16 is around the corner with 4K UHD burning capability!

Sadly I was the only one in the "New features for the next PD version" thread that asked for this feature.

Carl, you felt it was too early for 4K, but here in the stores like BB and CC only 4K UHD TVs are available if you want anything over 55". And the availability of HD TVs in less than 55" is disappearing fast.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 14. 2017 01:37

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
dhnj [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 30, 2010 11:14 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is any 4K BR burning software around that is reasonably priced?? PD16 ??

Gene

I have just bought a 4K TV LG 55UH950V.

I have with CyberLink Power2Go 11 burnt

all my 4K Video file to a DVD & BLU-RAY media as backup.

From the above media transfer the 4K Videos to a USB 2 flash stick.

When I connect this USB drive to the 4K TV

I get a Menu for each Video file, so the need to

wait for UHD 4K Authoring Software & Hardware

is not important for me any more.

Best regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 24. 2017 10:11

Eugen157
[Post New]

Gene

Best regards

I understand what you are doing and I have done the same. But I rather have the video on an 80 cent BD disc in UHD BR than on a USB drive that costs 10X more.

At the moment I burn my 4K material to BR 25GB as a 265 file and it plays fine on the Samsung 8500 and my pc. And just burning it in 4K onto a 4.7 GB DVD works too on the 8500.

We are app 2-3 weeks away from PD16, hopefully that version will take care of the problem.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
[Post New]
There is no spec for that so I believe we won't see UHDBD authoring in v16.

UHDBD authoring is only for movie studios at this moment.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 24. 2017 23:06

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah...there isn't even a UHD Blu-ray burning drive yet for sale yet that I can see, so I wouldn't expect the 4K burning software to be first.
Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote Yeah...there isn't even a UHD Blu-ray burning drive yet for sale yet that I can see, so I wouldn't expect the 4K burning software to be first.

Not true.

25 and 50 GB discs are part of the spec. I have some commercial UHD discs that are 50 GB.

So any old BR burner that can handle those will do UHD.

I have a LG burner that will read my commercial UHD discs and will stream the data just fine,including pressed 66GB discs but it is of course encrypted, so no picture.

My old 3 year old LG does the same but of course no playback of pressed 66 or 100 GB discs.

CL knows all about UHD since DVD16, burning UHD is just a matter of telling the UHD player what file to play and were it is. I am talking about 4K home videos, no encryption.

Eugene
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Eugene,

Your question is asking whether there will be Ultra HD Blu-ray authoring, i.e. you can burn 4K video to a disc that plays in a UHD Blu-ray standalone player. The key word is "authoring". This is what the King was referrring to, and there is no drive that can do this yet. Just like DVD burners could not burn Blu-ray Discs (or like my Blu-ray drive that can burn DVDs, but not Blu-rays) this is a new technology that will need a new type of hardware. It is NOT all on the software side.

What you are currently doing is burning a 4K video file to a Blu-ray disc, which is a data disc. The video file is playable as you said with any software video player that can play the video file, but is not the same quality disc as an Ultra HD Blu-ray. Similar to the difference between an audio CD and an MP3 data disc.

Authoring a disc and burning a video file to a data disc are different. The file structures on the disc are different. Burning a data disc is essentially like copying a file on a hard drive disk.

PowerDirector doesn't burn data discs (which I am sure you know), it authors Blu-rays or DVDs in the "spec format" for playback on supported players that have the official DVD or Blu-ray logos.

Dave

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 25. 2017 05:44

dhnj [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 30, 2010 11:14 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]

Gene

Best regards

I understand what you are doing and I have done the same. But I rather have the video on an 80 cent BD disc in UHD BR than on a USB drive that costs 10X more.

At the moment I burn my 4K material to BR 25GB as a 265 file and it plays fine on the Samsung 8500 and my pc. And just burning it in 4K onto a 4.7 GB DVD works too on the 8500.

We are app 2-3 weeks away from PD16, hopefully that version will take care of the problem.

Eugene

If I move the 4K Video files to an USB stick, there is no need for UHD or Blu-ray hardware.

Best regards
Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote Eugene,

Your question is asking whether there will be Ultra HD Blu-ray authoring, i.e. you can burn 4K video to a disc that plays in a UHD Blu-ray standalone player. The key word is "authoring". This is what the King was referrring to, and there is no drive that can do this yet. Just like DVD burners could not burn Blu-ray Discs (or like my Blu-ray drive that can burn DVDs, but not Blu-rays) this is a new technology that will need a new type of hardware. It is NOT all on the software side.

What you are currently doing is burning a 4K video file to a Blu-ray disc, which is a data disc. The video file is playable as you said with any software video player that can play the video file, but is not the same quality disc as an Ultra HD Blu-ray. Similar to the difference between an audio CD and an MP3 data disc.

Authoring a disc and burning a video file to a data disc are different. The file structures on the disc are different. Burning a data disc is essentially like copying a file on a hard drive disk.

PowerDirector doesn't burn data discs (which I am sure you know), it authors Blu-rays or DVDs in the "spec format" for playback on supported players that have the official DVD or Blu-ray logos.

Dave

Dave,

for your information, optical disc drives do not author, all they can do is read a data stream or burn a data stream. Just a bunch of numbers, that is all.

They need external software to tell them what to do and need external software to process the data stream they provide, like in a VLC LAN or Pot video player. Or Roxy or Nero burning software or PD15. They can only stream or burn, no data processing. Just like a hard drive.

That is what I am after in PD16, to burn the proper file tree to enable menus, chapters etc. The 4 K 265 HEVC video files produced by PD14 are perfectly adequate and are recognized by most desk top UHD players or 4K TVs. And the PD14 265 HEVC encoder has excellent video quality and renders 4K on my pc at about 3X real time.

So, for us to be able to play our own 4K material properly, the desk top or pc optical drive has to be told what to do and what file to stream by instructions burned onto the disc. As simple as that. As PD14 does now for the BR HD format.

And I believe that even a 3 year old LG BR optical drive will do just fine burning UHD 25/50 GB compatible dics. 66GB discs are not for sale, pressed only, and 100GB makes no sense because of cost.

Eugene

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 25. 2017 22:37

Jets2011
[Post New]
Hello,

I never said that the burner does the authoring, not sure how you got that. What I did say is that it takes an incredible amount of processing and drive power to author a disc and new drives were needed in the past with the new technology. UHD is a new technology that requires a new drive, processor and motherboard to play, so expecting the Blu-ray burning laser to work burning should not be expected.

UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task. If it is possible to provide UHD BD burning, from what I have learned about CL is they usually want to be the first. I would not expect it as a simple search will tell you that there are no UHD burners out there yet. I guess we'll find out next month for sure though.

Dave
Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

I never said that the burner does the authoring, not sure how you got that. What I did say is that it takes an incredible amount of processing and drive power to author a disc and new drives were needed in the past with the new technology. UHD is a new technology that requires a new drive, processor and motherboard to play, so expecting the Blu-ray burning laser to work burning should not be expected.

UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task. If it is possible to provide UHD BD burning, from what I have learned about CL is they usually want to be the first. I would not expect it as a simple search will tell you that there are no UHD burners out there yet. I guess we'll find out next month for sure though.

Dave

It does not take " incredible processing and drive power" , my previous now 8 year old pc did it just fine, for UHD you simply need more time since there is more data. And the burning time is limited by the disc and that has not changed much over the last 3 years or more. The main reason I got a new optical drive was to accomodate the new BDXL format.

My first experience with UHD was in March 2014, I was able to edit 4K using PD12 ? and burn to BR as a file and play pack w/o problems on an i7 in 4K using a $60 GPU. Changing that to a $180 GTX960 made a huge improvement in rendering time and allowed pb at 60 fps. rather than 30.

For UHD you do not need to burn 3 layers, 66GB discs are available pressed only, you can only buy 3 layer 100GB blancs.

Using HEVC a 2 layer 50GB disc can give us 2 hours, and 50GB blancs are a UHD standard. I have some commercial UHD 50 GB disc videos.

I too hope that CL will want to be the first, they had a whole year to cook this up.

So UHD is no big deal, same bunch of numbers only at a faster rate, assuming you have a good GPU, the CPU is not that critical any more for video editing.

I think that PCs that can do HD w/o stutter will be just fine with UHD as long as shadow files are used.

Eugene
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task.
Only commercial UHD 4K disc use the odd 66GB. However, several UHD Bluray burners already support dual, triple and quadruple layer burning (25, 50, 100, 128GB).

I've read several other forums on this subject and most posters appear to be hung up on the idea of the 'commercial' standard. Consumer software has never been able to produce 'commercial' quality or most of the 'commercial' standards.

If PD16 could just create a regular Bluray structure and menu, but encode the file to 4K (AVC or HEVC), the disc would probably play in any 4k player. Personlly, I could care less HOW the disc was create as long it played with the menu.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2017 11:31

Eugen157
[Post New]
Quote UHD discs have three layers on one side and will need new burning laser and firmware for the task.
Only commercial UHD 4K disc use the odd 66GB. However, several UHD Bluray burners already support dual, triple and quadruple layer burning (25, 50, 100, 128GB).

I've read several other forums on this subject and most posters appear to be hung up on the idea of the 'commercial' standard. Consumer software has never been able to produce 'commercial' quality or most of the 'commercial' standards.

If PD16 could just create a regular Bluray structure and menu, but encode the file to 4K (AVC or HEVC), the disc would probably play in any 4k player. Personlly, I could care less HOW the disc was create as long it played with the menu.

-------------------

I have tried that, using TsMuxer, it creates the structure as BR but the video is 4K. The Samsung 8500 does not recognize it but it plays fine on the pc with Media Player Classisc and VLC including menus.

The file structures of a commercial 4K and HD BR are exactly the same except for their content of course. The 4K and the HD version have both the exact same files:

AACS

BDMV

CERTIFICATE

Below is contend of BDMV:

AUXDATA

BACKUP

BDJO

CLIPINF

JAR

META

PLAYLIST

STREAM

Indexbdmv

MovieObject.bdmv

But the content on some must differ from UHD and HD, and perhaps that is all that needs to be altered by CL. Their 4K HEVC is playing fine on the 8500 and is looking great, that part is the most complex and difficult, yet was already done years ago.

The disc is ROCKY MOUNTAIN EXPRESS filmed in IMAX and true blue 4K and is reported to be one of the best UHD experiences. And who can resist the impact of a steam engine with the sound turned up !!!

It has a 25GB HD and 50GB UHD version in the same box. Both discs are 95% full, so here, to obtain spectacular UHD, the storage capacity is only doubled.

An other outstanding one I like is BBC PLANET EARTH II reported to be downconverted from 5K original video.

The sad fact is that perhaps 75% of UHD discs are hardly better looking than their HD versions because they did not originate in 4K.

I have hours of 4K video of our vacations captured by the Sony FDR AX100, still the standard as far as PQ is concerned and I like to play that in the UHD standard w/o resorting to tricks.

As mentioned in my last post, anyone who can edit stutter free HD should be able to do so in UHD using shadow files. No new BR optical drive needed.

Eugene

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2017 13:16

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The sad fact is that perhaps 75% of UHD discs are hardly better looking than their HD versions because they did not originate in 4K.
I bought a combo box with Independance Day and Independance Day Resurgence in 4K reasonably priced at Walmart. The first movie looked bad on my 55" OLED TV. Like the original was digtized from a really grainy film. Resurgence was flawless. Will think twice about purchasing older movies in 4K.

I have the LG 55" OLED55C6P with matching LG UP970 4k Bluray. So far, this player does a great job of upscaling BD disc to 4k. I also use my TV as a computer monitor with HDHomeRun universal app to watch cable TV. My nVidia GTX1060 handles 4k fine and upscaling cable TV looks pretty good (as long as you don't get up real close LOL).
Eugen157
[Post New]
Just curious, how is the 1060 performing in PD? and what card did you have before? Can you stream Netflix or Amazon 4K with it?

I suspect that on my pc going from the 960 to 1060 is not going to make much difference. For me the change to GTX 960 was just amazing, a more than 10 fold increase in HEVC UHD rendering speed. I render HEVC UHD at about 3X real time.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2017 18:14

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just curious, how is the 1060 performing in PD? and what card did you have before? Can you stream Netflix or Amazon 4K with it?
Don't have Netflix and never looked for Amazon Prime 4K. I'll have to check it out.

As for PD15, GTX1060 works great with it. Don't have a 4K camcorder, but I do a lot of 1080p MPEG2 to MP4 TV shows. PD15 can down convert 1080p(8 to 12Mbps depending on channel) to 720p 5Mbps one hour show in less than 6min. usually no editing although sometimes I might trim the beginning some. My previous GPU was ATI R7870 so the difference was VERY significant. PD just seems to have better support for nVidia GPUs.

I have a Sony 3D camcorder, but I haven't gotten into editing in 3D much. I'm the only one in the family with 3D TV LOL Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA