Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SGX problem?
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
UHD BD再生には、Intel Kaby Lake世代のCore i5, i7(Kaby Lake-S/H)が必要となります。また、Intel SGX(Software Guard eXtention)対応で、HDMI2.0/2.0a出力が可能な Intel200シリーズマザーボードが必要となります。

UHD BD playback requires Core i 5, i 7 (Kaby Lake - S / H) of the Intel Kaby Lake generation. In addition, Intel 200 series motherboard capable of outputting HDMI 2.0 / 2.0a is required for Intel SGX (Software Guard eXtention) compatible. .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
[Post New]
Quote I still believe your setup is OK and you do not need to RMA anything. All the motherboards in question are Z270s with KabyLake CPUs. If a manufacturer says something about HDMI in a manual or on the website, it is always HDMI 2.0, not 2.0a. I do not know any motherboard claiming to have HDMI 2.0a (or b).

I spent several days before I managed to successfully play a movie for the first time. And even after that, SGX or HDMI sometimes does not work. Remember - this is just a temporary solution until compatible GPUs become available.

Can you play standard Blu-ray discs? Did you try to google few advices about the HDMI handshake? The connected devices can sometimes forget the handshake - then you must unplug the cable, wait for a while and plug it back. What also makes the difference is whether or not the devices are ON or OFF when you are plugging in the cable and what side of the cable you plug in first. I am just recalling what I read elsewhere, I can't give you an exact advice.

As Whirlpool said, SGX switches OFF automatically after some time. This may be true, at least my personal observations support this theory.

Standard Blu-ray discs play fine. I've tried every one of the 4 ports on the TV that are HDCP 2.2 compatible, I've tried unplugging and replugging, I've tried switching the HDMI cord around to swap connections, and I've tried while the computer was on and after complete shut downs. It just isn't working. And when I plug into my GTX 970 there is no problem with the Advisor recognizing I have HDR compatiblity. There is a BIOS setting for HDCP and I'm POSITIVE it is enabled. I've emailed the Cyberlink support twice and both times they've told me my equipment is incompatible (http://imgur.com/e6YDzDr). It's either a faulty motherboard or it just isn't compatible. Either way, I have to do the RMA.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It seems you have adjusted SGX setting to the right place in the BIOS, but it still failed on advisor detection occassionally.
Did you try the 6th steps to uninstall pdvd, and Intel SGX component to refresh the software configuration?

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19871

I may also try uninstall Intel ME as well with above uninstallation, then reinstall them after reboot.

fyi

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2017 01:59

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It seems you have adjusted SGX setting to the right place in the BIOS, but it still failed on advisor detection occassionally.
Did you try the 6th steps to uninstall pdvd, and Intel SGX component to refresh the software configuration?

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19871

I may also try uninstall Intel ME as well with above uninstallation, then reinstall them after reboot.

fyi

Intel ME driver newer version:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25881

Install this one to try.

By the way, do you mind to share your dxdiag here to let us check it out?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2017 02:32

triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
What does AIDA64 say under Mainboard - CPUID - SGX? Download the trial version here https://www.aida64.com/downloads. If AIDA sees SGX to be enabled, then the Advisor is wrong. .
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
[Post New]
Quote What does AIDA64 say under Mainboard - CPUID - SGX? Download the trial version here https://www.aida64.com/downloads. If AIDA sees SGX to be enabled, then the Advisor is wrong.

Hey, sorry. I sent the motherboard back. But the SGX stopped being a problem. It started passing the test pretty reliably. The problem was HDR and HDCP. Supermicro was pretty explicit that it wasn't HDMI 2.0a for HDR and that was a deal breaker. I have no idea why HDCP 2.2 failed. But I'm switching for the Aorus Gaming 8 which is confirmed working. Thanks for all the help anyway.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2017 16:18

triffid
[Post New]
Hi! I know it is too late now. Maybe you do not even check this thread anymore. But if you do, here is what I found.

First: In a recent press release Gigabyte clearly states that Z270X Gaming 8 and Gaming 9 are equiped with HDMI 2.0a.

Second: A company called Steiger Dynamics has a HTPC in its portfolio based on Supermicro C7Z270 CG combined with the drive by Pioneer. It implies that this system is able to play UHD BDs with HDR, otherwise the setup would make no sense. You can check the full specs here:

http://www.steigerdynamics.com/products-leet-htpc-specifications (first column)

I believe the CyberLink "technical support guy" did not even bother to check any specs, he simply said NO to you because of the screenshot from the Advisor you sent with your question. You see, it is much easier to say "your system needs an upgrade" than try to find a solution...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2017 15:45

[Post New]
Quote Hi! I know it is too late now. Maybe you do not even check this thread anymore. But if you do, here is what I found.

First: In a recent press release Gigabyte clearly states that Z270X Gaming 8 and Gaming 9 are equiped with HDMI 2.0a.

Second: A company called Steiger Dynamics has a HTPC in its portfolio based on Supermicro C7Z270 CG combined with the drive by Pioneer. It implies that this system is able to play UHD BDs with HDR, otherwise the setup would make no sense. You can check the full specs here:

http://www.steigerdynamics.com/products-leet-htpc-specifications (first column)

I believe the CyberLink "technical support guy" did not even bother to check any specs, he simply said NO to you because of the screenshot from the Advisor you sent with your question. You see, it is much easier to say "your system needs an upgrade" than try to find a solution...

Hmm. Well, I'm glad somebody got it to work because I sure couldn't. I didn't want to spend the money but I went ahead and got the Gaming 8 and, other than a wierd audio problem, it worked right away. It's also a pretty awesome motherboard. Luckily I got a refund minus shipping and restocking fee on the Supermicro. I finally got to watch my Planet Earth 2 UHD Blu-ray. I'll probably make a separate post in the forum but for some reason I can only get the audio to play through my headphones. But I like my headphones so it's not too big a deal right now. But yeah, I'm done with the Supermicro but thanks for trying to help me figure it out.
triffid
[Post New]
Just to be sure, I asked their technical support about HDR. The answer came today: "Yes. 100% , tested and verified (otherwise we wouldn’t offer that)."

What kind of DDR are you using with your new board? Are those the same you used with Supermicro?

Did you enable the onboard audio in BIOS? There is a switch to disable it in case you want to use a dedicated audio card.

Since I have the same board, I guess we can figure it out together.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2017 13:30

jer* [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2017 14:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same board aorus gaming 8 and I'm having sgx issues myself. It used to play the revenent flawlessly and now I get errors! I've tried the steps posted here with no luck.Im undergoing a fresh Windows 10 install I will update results...
whirlpool0548 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2012 19:13 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have the same board aorus gaming 8 and I'm having sgx issues myself. It used to play the revenent flawlessly and now I get errors! I've tried the steps posted here with no luck.Im undergoing a fresh Windows 10 install I will update results...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you have chenged nothing in your configuration and the Cyberlink SGX test fails after having previously passed OK, suspect Cyberlink.

Yesterday, the Cyberlink SGX test gave a pass. Today it's giving a fail.

I have not changed anything since yesterday. I suspect there is an issue with Cyberlink 's server.

The Intel SGX capability Tool still gives a pass.

Update : On the morning of 24/6 the Cyberlink SGX test gave a pass after giving 'Not Available' yesterday - With no change to my config. This has to be a Cyberlink issue, mabye their server is not contactable or rejects a request.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2017 05:12

x820306 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2017 09:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Supermicro C7Z270-CG with the latest BIOS version. However, my motherboard can not pass the CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor when attaching to my 4K TV. The only error message says that my rig can not play the uhd blu-ray because of its lack of the HDCP2.2(GPU/Display). With the fact that the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP2.2 of my TV are working on my PS4 PRO, I think the C7Z270-CG must be the reason instead of my TV. After asking STEIGER DYNAMICS about how do they make the C7Z270-CG work for playing uhd blu-ray, I get the answer that they are using their own special firmware for this motherboard to make it work. It is really bad news for people who want to play uhd blu-ray with Supermicro motherboards...... No other success stories I have ever seen except STEIGER DYNAMICS using their special firmware.

UPDATE:
After updating my Windows 10 from build 15063.447 to build 15063.503 and Intel Graphics Driver from version 4678(2017/05/30) to 4729(2017/07/05), my C7Z270-CG can now pass all the tests of CyberLink Advisor for playing uhd blu-ray disc. (except the UHD-BD optical drive that I haven't bought yet) Although my 4K TV does not support HDR, I have decided to order a BDR-211JBK from Amazon to play my UHD-BD. Maybe I will update the testing result on BDR-211JBK next week.

http://i.imgur.com/ThPfZhl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LfD8cYZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KvIQKXY.jpg

(Both CyberLink Advisor and Netflix 4K are working now)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Aug 08. 2017 01:44

jer* [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2017 14:30 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I got it to work after fresh windows and new bios update! Smooth sailling ever since!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2017 12:13

triffid
[Post New]
Quote I got it to work after fresh windows and new bios update! Smooth sailling ever since!

You are talking about a different motherboard, Aorus Z270X Gaming 8. .
triffid
[Post New]
Quote After updating my Windows 10 from build 15063.447 to build 15063.503 and Intel Graphics Driver from version 4678(2017/05/30) to 4729(2017/07/05), my C7Z270-CG can now pass all the tests of CyberLink Advisor for playing uhd blu-ray disc. (except the UHD-BD optical drive that I haven't bought yet) Although my 4K TV does not support HDR, I have decided to order a BDR-211JBK from Amazon to play my UHD-BD. Maybe I will update the testing result on BDR-211JBK next week.

I am sure it is going to work fine. .
Konst [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2021 21:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Cybelink software engineers are likely either smoking something hard or not competent what they are doing or do not want to admit that with adjacent soft (Windows, drivers, MB firmware) they cannot make PowerDVD work.
I have setup which worked perfectly fine and played UHDBD HDR 4K without any issues in 2017.
Then the main HDD died and I needed to reinstall windows, but new one is windows vesion 21H1.
What a surprise, after reinstall bluray advisor says SGX does not work! OK, fine, I told myself, let’s figure out how to make it work. I found an app in windows store says “SGX Enabler”. In a couple of hours that app finally said SGX enabled.
Regardless, BD advisor and PowerDVD (that came with BD transport) did not work.
I applied to technical support and explained the issue. – what a waste of time!!!
I was told that I need to provide original receipts, date of purchase and other BS. I have NEVER been explained how it can solve the problem. It was complete joke.
How I solved it:
I found and restored windows version 1809, where everything worked (restored using old acronis backup (used to come free with WD HDD)).
Gradually updated system and drivers to version 21H1 and it still works, including Dolby Atmos, HDR, 4K and so on.
I suggest the price for cyberlink products is way too high: with support provided it does not worth it.
Do not buy PowerDVD: it is easier to buy stand-along UDHBD player.
No PowerDVD -No SGX problems

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 07. 2021 21:49