Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HUGE loss of quality from library to timeline?
Russ [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Auckland Joined: Sep 12, 2008 07:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'd just like to chip in and say that i didnt notice it with the SD files from my previous camera, but i've found it quite noticable with the HD files from my HF11 (See attached files).

Its quite off putting - and although probably unrelated, if i make a normal (SD) DVD from my AVCHD files, the quality is noticable degraded (much like the difference between previewing files from the library and timeline).

Russ
[Thumb - LibrarySnapshot.jpg]
 Filename
LibrarySnapshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Better quality preview image from the library
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
160 time(s)
[Thumb - TimelineSnapShot.jpg]
 Filename
TimelineSnapShot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Degraded preview image from the timeline
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
143 time(s)
[Post New]
Quote:
Its quite off putting - and although probably unrelated, if i make a normal (SD) DVD from my AVCHD files, the quality is noticable degraded Russ

Hi Russ,

I absolutely concur. If I want to make a DVD I render to Mpeg2 HD (blu-ray profile) to avoid the poor AVCHD rendering then use another application to burn to DVD to avoid the poor downscaling. This is a shame as the disc module in PD is pretty flexible for an editing programme. Luckily I usually just stream the Mpeg2 HD to my media player.
Another option I use if I know the project is just for DVD is to use the bundled camera software to convert to mpeg2 prior to editing then PD is great all the way through.
Russ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Im glad to see im not the only one whos noticed it - ill try your suggestion about converting to mpeg2 first.

Shame really, the main reason i bought PD7 was for its abitlity to handle AVCHD content, but i didnt realise the downscaling performance would be so poor.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Its quite off putting - and although probably unrelated, if i make a normal (SD) DVD from my AVCHD files, the quality is noticable degraded (much like the difference between previewing files from the library and timeline).

How was that 2nd photo created? I notice considerable loss in detail around the license plate area. You can almost read it in the first photo and it lacks definition in the 2nd photo. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Russ [Avatar]
[Post New]
There both snapshots taken from the preview window(click on the third button from the right, select screen snapshot).

Thats the difference in quality that is displayed in the preview window. When you select a clip in the media (library) area and preview it, the quality is great, but when the same clip is on the timeline and you preview it, the quality is fairly poor.