Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Choosing settings for export to Resolve
Big_Steel_29 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South Korea Joined: Apr 24, 2016 12:20 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,

I'm been searching the forum for a bit now trying to find an answer to this question, but have come up empty-handed.

Some others have asked about lossless exports in PD, and the answer is that there isn't an option. I'm using PD14, which still has Quicktime as an export option, and I'm only dealing with 1080p footage from a Canon DSLR.

I'd like to render a file and then bring it into Resolve to grade. I'm realising now that maybe I should have graded all the clips beforehand in resolve and them exported them to bring into PD...Anyway...

Under the Quicktime export option you can create a custom profile. Under 'video compressor' there are a variety of coden types, and under 'video quality' there doesn an option for 'lossless quality.'

I'm not worried about file sizes as this will just be an interim file. What's my best bet for minimal quality degradation?

Thanks
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Big Steel,

Try XAVC. The new DaVinci Resolve 14 public beta may not reallly work properly yet.

Good luck!
Big_Steel_29 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jirka.Bolec, will do.

I'm used Resolve 12.5 a bit, and have been figuring things out slowly. I'll see if anything changes when I install the v14 beta. Hopefully nothing explodes.

I'm realising now that when I export from PD I won't keep my individual clips, which will make selcting individial clips in the Resolve NLE editor a bit more of a headache. I can probably get by with just using what PD offers for basic colour correction.

Maybe next itme I'll colour in Resolve first, export, and then edit in PD.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
I would rather discourage you from installing Resolve 14. On the other hand, if you encounter issues therein, uninstalling it and installing 12.5 again should be no problem.

CyberLink offers ColorDirector for basic color correction and grading. Depending on what you want to achieve, PowerDirector may meet your requirements, more for color correction than color grading. Resolve is much more sophisticated in that respect but, unlike PowerDirector, Resolve doesn't target the consumer market. That's why it doesn't support many of the video file formats that most consumer video cameras use. In fact, you might find Resolve too complicated without spending enough time to learn how to use it.

If you produce all your clips as a single file using PowerDirector, you could cut this one big clip manually in the Edit window in Resolve as necessary…
Big_Steel_29 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Jirka.

I've actually already played around with Resolve a fair bit. I muck around with the C-Log picture profile from EOSHD.net, and have tried my hand at raw video with Magic Lantern, too.

For this project I think I'll just stick with some saturation and contrast adjustments from with PD itself. I'll take things through Resolve on my next project.

Thanks again.