Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing files
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
Member Location: Cardiff Joined: Mar 18, 2014 18:36 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Is there anyway to find the full path name of missing files when loading project as I changed hard drive directories on a previous project and need to know the exact name of the file name and previous path to locate it. The error box only gives me part of the path.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I'm guessing that the previous file path is no longer valid at all. Normally if you click on the browse button in that error message, it will initially take you to the original file location as a starting point. The error message gives you the file name so another way forward would be to use the Windows search action to search "This PC" which will cover all accesible devices/directories.
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm guessing that the previous file path is no longer valid at all. Normally if you click on the browse button in that error message, it will initially take you to the original file location as a starting point. The error message gives you the file name so another way forward would be to use the Windows search action to search "This PC" which will cover all accesible devices/directories.

Thanks, I've already tried those methods, the problem I have is the original location is no longer valid and when I browse for the file there are multiple files with the same file name ie C0001 and I don't know which one corresponds to the file I am looking for. The only way I can tell is if I know the exact path name whch will give me an indication what file I am looking for.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2017 07:47

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

If I understand you correctly this might help:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51117.page#post_box_268421

***Take a copy of your .pds file and open it in Notebook or another Plain Text editor. Don't work on your original - keep it safe!***

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

***Take a copy of your .pds file and open it in Notebook or another Plain Text editor. Don't work on your original - keep it safe!***

Cheers

Adrian
[Thumb - Error Box.jpg]
 Filename
Error Box.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
360 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
34 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2017 09:24

AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks, I tried opening pds file with notepad but it gives me millions of coding, don't know what to search for in "find" option.

It's a pity the error dialogue box doesn't show the complete missing file path name, I've attached a picture of the error

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2017 09:41

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote when I browse for the file there are multiple files with the same file name ie C0001 and I don't know which one corresponds to the file I am looking for.

In your screenshot the missing file is C0020.MP4. If you have searched your whole computer for that specific file and it's not been found you may be on to a loser. Have perhaps got a backup on an external drive that's not connected at the moment - just a thought.
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote when I browse for the file there are multiple files with the same file name ie C0001 and I don't know which one corresponds to the file I am looking for.

In your screenshot the missing file is C0020.MP4. If you have searched your whole computer for that specific file and it's not been found you may be on to a loser. Have perhaps got a backup on an external drive that's not connected at the moment - just a thought.

I can find the files corresponding to the file number searched for I'm looking for but there are several files numbered the same but in different locations which are used for other projects, I can't find where the specific file is located for my project so I can match exactly the path, the gap in the path name is what I need
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Upload your pds file, very easy to strip out all full F:/ paths to give you some ideas on old storage location.

Jeff
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Upload your pds file, very easy to strip out all full F:/ paths to give you some ideas on old storage location.

Jeff

Thanks I've attached it as a notepad file
 Filename
pds file.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12754 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
227 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Forum is not playing at the moment, seems to have stolen my upload.

PM me your email and I can get a list of the files paths to you if no-one else has.

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
This may give you a transformation map of location and names.

Jeff
 Filename
JL2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
260 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2017 11:48

AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This may give you a transformation map of location and names.

Jeff

Thanks for that, I'll slowly plough through the list.

Pity the error dialogue box didn't give full path name
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This may give you a transformation map of location and names.

Jeff

Thanks for that, I'll slowly plough through the list.

Pity the error dialogue box didn't give full path name

Still coming back to the same problem, even though the edited notepad list highlighted the paths in the pds file, my problem is that there are multiple permutations for egC0002 file and I can't work out which C0002 file is the missing one without the full path name when asked to locate missing file. If the files were all different then I could solve it, problem is same name files, as I shot footage on different days. Therefore days 1 might have C002 file as well as day 3 will have a file named C002. The missing middle parameters would have given me which folder I needed to browse to.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Simply take a backup drive (internal or external) and recreate the F: structure that you had, basically what was provided in the file I upload. It's only like ~12 unique paths. Once done, pds will load correctly. I'm assuming you have your raw footage archived in some fashion.

Jeff
AndrewRacz1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Simply take a backup drive (internal or external) and recreate the F: structure that you had, basically what was provided in the file I upload. It's only like ~12 unique paths. Once done, pds will load correctly. I'm assuming you have your raw footage archived in some fashion.

Jeff

Apears to have worked, re assigned the F drive from D but even though it was just an internal hard drive windows was using it as a page file system, had to disable it in disk performance beore it would allow me to change the drive path to F.

I'll render a file and re configure back to the new setup.

Thanks again