Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 17 won't open Video_TS.IFO files
robbie1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded PowerDVD 14 to PowerDVD 17 last night. The upgrade left both versions intact. I have some video files saved to my harddrive that I normally start playing by double-clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. PowerDVD 14 will still open and start playing the video, but PowerDVD 17 does nothing. Even if I right-click and select "open with PowerDVD 17", it will not open and start playing the video. No error message, just nothing happens. PowerDVD 17 will play DVD/BDs inserted in the optical drive.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Some sort of conflict during the upgrade?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2017 11:50

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I upgraded PowerDVD 14 to PowerDVD 17 last night. The upgrade left both versions intact. I have some video files saved to my harddrive that I normally start playing by double-clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. PowerDVD 14 will still open and start playing the video, but PowerDVD 17 does nothing. Even if I right-click and select "open with PowerDVD 17", it will not open and start playing the video. No error message, just nothing happens. PowerDVD 17 will play DVD/BDs inserted in the optical drive.

New PowerDVD version places the disc folder playback entry on the playback control bar (at the bottom of movie disc playback page).
No longer support to launch IFO file solely to open disc folder playback.

You can find a folder icon button there to play your disc folder.

---The above information is from CyberLink support---

I think the IFO file is video disc info file for disc folder playback and identification.

If it is solely stored at any folder or the folder is not a complete video disc folder, your double-clicking launching would cause more compatibility or disc folder recognition problems for a player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2017 14:39

robbie1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I upgraded PowerDVD 14 to PowerDVD 17 last night. The upgrade left both versions intact. I have some video files saved to my harddrive that I normally start playing by double-clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. PowerDVD 14 will still open and start playing the video, but PowerDVD 17 does nothing. Even if I right-click and select "open with PowerDVD 17", it will not open and start playing the video. No error message, just nothing happens. PowerDVD 17 will play DVD/BDs inserted in the optical drive.

New PowerDVD version places the disc folder playback entry on the playback control bar (at the bottom of movie disc playback page).
No longer support to launch IFO file solely to open disc folder playback.

You can find a folder icon button there to play your disc folder.

---The above information is from CyberLink support---

I think the IFO file is video disc info file for disc folder playback and identification.

If it is solely stored at any folder or the folder is not a complete video disc folder, your double-clicking launching would cause more compatibility or disc folder recognition problems for a player.

Thanks for the reply. i figured it out. If you drag the entire video_ts folder into PowerDVD 17 it will start playback.

I hadn't realized you could no longer start playback by merely clicking on the .IFO file as before.
Somebody [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2016 09:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This is not 1990.

Drag and drop is not a fix at all. I use an application that refrences .ifo for playback and such it no longer works. My video library is large and I have no desire to search by folder and drag drop. I will continue to use 16 instead.

Also playing the ifo has worked perfectly fine and it is how dvds work. It causes no issue what so ever. In fact it can't can't cause the .ifo file is disk information telling the drive what is on the disk.

To put it simply the feature needs to be restored.
robbie1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This is not 1990.

Drag and drop is not a fix at all. I use an application that refrences .ifo for playback and such it no longer works. My video library is large and I have no desire to search by folder and drag drop. I will continue to use 16 instead.

Also playing the ifo has worked perfectly fine and it is how dvds work. It causes no issue what so ever. In fact it can't can't cause the .ifo file is disk information telling the drive what is on the disk.

To put it simply the feature needs to be restored.

I agree it was much easier to just double-click the .IFO file. Maybe they will take your suggestion and restore the functionality.
Tim2006 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2017 11:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

I am reviewing the trial for 17 -- after years of not using powerdvd. i'm not at all impressed that when I double click on an ifo file, they continue to open in VLC quite nicely. I'd like to be able to at least right click and say open with powerdvd, if not change the default. I put links to the ifo files in an index folder and don't really want to have to navigate to the top folder inside of powerdvd. Not supporting this is far from showing an interest in user convenience. And the excuses below about the video_ts not being structured right? total garbage. if the structure isn't right, you give an error message with as graceful and exit as possible. jeesh.

interestingly, i had a problem in that powerdvd took over autoplay for my dvd drive without requesting my approval, which I did NOT want. I figured out how to remove that using system settings.

Now, can powerdvd please return the ability to double click on ifo files (or links)?