Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdvd 17 Wont Open - Windows 7 64 bit
NZRyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2017 02:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I was running powerdvd 16 ultra fine (Winows 7 - 64 bit with latest updates), so I brought an upgrade to Powerdvd 17 Ultra, it installs ok, but wont launch when I double click it, so I cant even get to the the enter the key code part.

I double click on the icon, nothing happens, I tried runing it directly in the PDVD17 folder, same, I tried running Activate.exe in there as well (probably should not have, but getting frustrated at my new purchase not working!!) and it just says my trail is over and please buy.

Has anyone else had this issue, any ideas what to try next?, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and always the same, at the end of the install when it finshed and you click the 'Launch Power DVD 17' button, nothing happens, the install window just closes.

I've even tried downloading the trail version, same problem at the end of the install clicking launch does nothing, but with the trail version if I try to run the Active.exe in the PDVD17 folder it says I've got 30 days left of my trail, uninstalled, then installed my downloaded (from the Cyberlink links provided with the keys ) and still the same.

Pretty frustrated at this point, and not sure what to try next, it should just work! grrr.

Thanks, Ryan

Video card - Nvidia 1080ti with 381.65 drivers
990x Cpu
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Edit:

After more investigation, the application event viewer has this error: ( I tried installing the latest C++ redistributions etc, but did not seem to help)

SideBySide Event 33

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files
(x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD17\PowerDVD.exe.Manifest". Dependent Assembly
Kanten.X,type="win32",version="1.0.0.0" could not be found. Please use
sxstrace.exe for detailed diaqnoisis.

I see someone with windows10 creators edition was getting this error, but I'm on Windows 7 64 bit SP1

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2017 18:05

Hsin-Nan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2017 23:24 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi NZRyan,

I can install fine on my win7 64bit platfrom.

Per your error information,

Possible reason:

1. Manifest (Kanten.X.manifest) does not exist in your installed folder.

2. exetable manifest cache issue. How about Uninstall -> reboot OS -> install again ?

Cheers.
[Post New]
Quote Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files
Did you get PowerDVD17 working yet? I have the same error with PowerDVD16 and Windows 10 Anniversary and Windows 10 Creator.

In the http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/preList/51926/272109.page thread these guys have the problem too:

George_34, DVD16 Creator
Bogdan_D, DVD16 Creator
jdfrench3, DVD16 Creator
MediaSuite14 Ultra, Youcam7, Windows10 Creator x64
NZRyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2017 02:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi There,

No, I have not been able to get this to work, it seems the runtime is just not searching the PowerDVD folder structure for the manifests it is looking for. (very annoying - had a few attempts at trying to fix it!)

I did manage to get it to get further by copying files out of the subdirectories into the main directory, then it would get past the Kanten.x problem but then come up with same error but a side by side error for the next manifest it was looking for, I then copied that into the main directory, then it would have a problem with the next one, which confirms its just not searching the subdirectories for them like it should (the manifest is being included in the Powerdvd project when built but for some reason the side by side engine is just not working properly for PowerDVD17).

I dont really want to have to reinstall my PC just to get PowerDVD 17 to work (eventhough I've purchased it), My Power DVD16 is still working fine on the same machine so that's something at least.

Kind of hoping I'll just find the solution to make it work like it should!

Thanks, Ryan

Quote Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files
Did you get PowerDVD17 working yet? I have the same error with PowerDVD16 and Windows 10 Anniversary and Windows 10 Creator.

In the http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/preList/51926/272109.page thread these guys have the problem too:

George_34, DVD16 Creator
Bogdan_D, DVD16 Creator
jdfrench3, DVD16 Creator
[Post New]
I found a solution that permitted me to update PowerDVD16 to build 2406. It now works fine now for Windows 10 Creator 1703 x64. Hope it works for you in Windows 7.

Read my solution at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/62579.page#285098
MediaSuite14 Ultra, Youcam7, Windows10 Creator x64