Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What optical drives are supported for UHD BD playback?
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The Details from Speccy

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 Media Type BD Writer Name HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 Availability Running/Full Power Capabilities Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, BD-R, BD-ROM, BD-RE Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, BD-R, BD-RE Config Manager Error Code Device is working properly Config Manager User Config FALSE Drive E: Media Loaded FALSE SCSI Bus 0 SCSI Logical Unit 0 SCSI Port 3 SCSI Target Id 0 Status OK

and id si working

No, "Ultra HD Blu-ray" is not on the list.

I think it is very clear that Ultra HD Blu-ray has new spec for software and hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray
"Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are incompatible with existing Blu-ray players"

Ask LG for an official confirm or save your time to accept the fact that this drive is just a normal BD drive, but not a Ultra HD Blu-ray drive.

The BH16NS40 reads all the files on commercial 66GB and 50GB UHD disks I own just fine. I do not have any larger UHD discs. But of course cannot not decrypt them. Bought the drive in Oct 16.

On Planet UHD Earth II it shows 52GB used and files like AACS, Certificate,BDMV under the last one various files including STREAM. That in turn has about 30+ files m2ts - MPEG Video Files, including size in GB of all files

So it is a matter of not being to decryt them, even with DVD17 my 4K PC i76700 GTX960 GPU would not be able to do it.

However that disc looks fantastic on a 70" UHD TV and Samsung UHD player. I see no reason why to buy this software when the Samsung UHD player sells at Cosco for $220.00 and refurbished from Samsung for a lot less than that.

less than 1% of PC,s if that, can use this software for UHD anyway.

Eugene

Still waiting for 4K burning software. And waiting....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2017 21:22

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The Details from Speccy

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 Media Type BD Writer Name HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 Availability Running/Full Power Capabilities Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, BD-R, BD-ROM, BD-RE Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, BD-R, BD-RE Config Manager Error Code Device is working properly Config Manager User Config FALSE Drive E: Media Loaded FALSE SCSI Bus 0 SCSI Logical Unit 0 SCSI Port 3 SCSI Target Id 0 Status OK

and id si working

No, "Ultra HD Blu-ray" is not on the list.

I think it is very clear that Ultra HD Blu-ray has new spec for software and hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray
"Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are incompatible with existing Blu-ray players"

Ask LG for an official confirm or save your time to accept the fact that this drive is just a normal BD drive, but not a Ultra HD Blu-ray drive.

The BH16NS40 reads all the files on commercial 66GB and 50GB UHD disks I own just fine. I do not have any larger UHD discs. But of course cannot not decrypt them. Bought the drive in Oct 16.

On Planet UHD Earth II it shows 52GB used and files like AACS, Certificate,BDMV under the last one various files including STREAM. That in turn has about 30+ files m2ts - MPEG Video Files, including size in GB of all files

So it is a matter of not being to decryt them, even with DVD17 my 4K PC i76700 GTX960 GPU would not be able to do it.

However that disc looks fantastic on a 70" UHD TV and Samsung UHD player. I see no reason why to buy this software when the Samsung UHD player sells at Cosco for $220.00 and refurbished from Samsung for a lot less than that.

less than 1% of PC,s if that, can use this software for UHD anyway.

Eugene

Still waiting for 4K burning software. And waiting....

Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail on the head, a stand-alone player is far simpler to use and allot less expensive. If one day we were able to use our NVIDIA and AMD dedicated cards, then that would be different, but even then, would we still be required to replace our MoBo's and processors, just to satisfy the SGX requirements ?

Hollywood is not interested in the masses being able to play UHD-Blu-rays on a computer, that much is clear and they made it darn near impossible for us to do so. The heck with them.

And about your 4K burning sofware, why not Imgburn ???
[Post New]
i have got answer from the pioneer:

Are you able to browse the contents of the disc?

If so, the drive is working and you will need to contact the playback software company for further assistance with the software. i3 7100T + AsRock Z270 ITX + Pioneer BDR-211UBK
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote i have got answer from the pioneer:

If so, the drive is working and you will need to contact the playback software company for further assistance with the software.

Drag Pioneer support agent out to see Pioneer's press release for their 1st UHDBD drive releasing news on 2017Q1.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

It is totally a shame that they are not familar with "What is a UHD-BD movie disc drive".

A drive that doesn't have UHD-BD certified/license can claim support on UHD-BD movie playback? Ridiculous!!!

You can see the files in Windows file explorer, but it does not justify or 100% proof the drive compatibility/capability.
The movie content is digitally protected by UHD-BD security.

BDR207 does not have the decryption capability for UHD-BD movies.

A UHD-BD drive spec should like this:
http://pioneer.jp/pcperipherals/bdd/products/bdr_s11j_x/

I know it's Japanese. Just take a look that it specifically mention "Ultra HD Blu-ray", and placed it everywhere in introduction.

Regular BD drive only has this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-207MBK

BTW, it's not surprising that the world 1st UHDBD drive would launch in Japan first, because the manufacturer and movie disc market share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2017 15:03

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]

If so, the drive is working and you will need to contact the playback software company for further assistance with the software.

Drag Pioneer support agent out to see Pioneer's press release for their 1st UHDBD drive releasing news on 2017Q1.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives

It is totally a shame that they are not familar with "What is a UHD-BD movie disc drive".

A drive that doesn't have UHD-BD certified/license can claim support on UHD-BD movie playback? Ridiculous!!!

You can see the files in Windows file explorer, but it does not justify or 100% proof the drive compatibility/capability.

I know it's Japanese. Just take a look that it specifically mention "Ultra HD Blu-ray", and placed it everywhere in introduction.

BTW, it's not surprising that the world 1st UHDBD drive would launch in Japan first, because the manufacturer and movie disc market share.

As Pana says : Are you able to browse the contents of the disc? The rest is just a stream of 0s and 1s regardless of format. Nothing magic about UHD. The hangup is the ability of the pc video player software to decrypt it. The drive has nothing to do with that.

I bought my LG drive to be able to BURN UHD discs and the Samsung reads my 4K disk files ok.

LG supposedly makes the Pana drive, I remember reading on AVS Forum.

But patience, we will know in a few weeks for sure.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2017 16:39

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
[Post New]

As Pana says : Are you able to browse the contents of the disc? The rest is just a stream of 0s and 1s regardless of format. Nothing magic about UHD. The hangup is the ability of the pc video player software to decrypt it. The drive has nothing to do with that.

I bought my LG drive to be able to BURN UHD discs and the Samsung reads my 4K disk files ok.

LG supposedly makes the Pana drive, I remember reading on AVS Forum.

But patience, we will know in a few weeks for sure.

BDXL Tri-layers or Quad-layer disc is not equal to UHDBD movie disc.

Commercial UHDBD movie disc has its own encryption.
And, "The hangup is the ability of the pc video player software to decrypt it", this is not correct, or only partially correct.

Why UHDBD needs Intel SGX? Why UHDBD needs UHDBD certified drive?
They all matters the content encryption and decryption.

Let's clarify a UHDBD certified drive should have what capabilities.
They have to be compatible with commercial UHD-BD movie disc spec to build a secured path to decrypt/transmit those protected video data from the disc while a software player requests to do it.

I have no idea if there is a homemade UHDBD video disc already existing on the consumer market.
What I know is that those produced homemade disc has big chance that is just a regular Blu-ray video BDXL disc or a data disc that stores 4K video files.

UHDBD applied BD-ROM Profile 6.0
NO consumer disc drives currently can burn a protected UHDBD BD-ROM, or a UHDBD movie disc, but just BDXL-QL or BDXL-TL BD video disc
BD-ROM cannot produce by a disc writer, it is produced at factory in mass production.

I studied those info on the Internet for such a long time before pdvd 17 rolled out.

All in all, we do need to purchase/upgrade new hardware to meet UHDBD playback requirement but not just a "CyberLink PowerDVD" requirement if we want to do the playback using Windows PC.
Whatever, as a software player, currently only pdvd has UHD-BD playback compatibility. It is not well acceptable, but it is a fact.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2017 14:07

Eugen157
[Post New]
Makes no sense to me.

1) I can browse my commercial UHD discs on the PC, go to BDMV then STREAM and then pick a file that contains the main video. It is the one with largest M2TS file size.

2) I can play that file, the disc is spinning and light blinking, just as if it was a DVD or BR.

3) The PC player software displays the title to be played but says "No can do"

That means to me that the correct player software, perhaps DVD17 could do it if I have the correct PC hardware.

So the reason, as I see it, that I do not have a picture is the copy protection system, NOT the optical drive.

My optical drive fills all the functions that are needet to produce a data stream that only needs to be decoded by suitable software.

And how do you know that my drive does NOT fullfill all those requirements you list ????

And remember what PANA said: "If you can browse the disk the drive is ok"

As I said, we will find out in time.

Eugene

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2017 18:40

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
PD14,
QC2.0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Makes no sense to me.

1) I can browse my commercial UHD discs on the PC, go to BDMV then STREAM and then pick a file that contains the main video. It is the one with largest M2TS file size.

2) I can play that file, the disc is spinning and light blinking, just as if it was a DVD or BR.

3) The PC player software displays the title to be played but says "No can do"

That means to me that the correct player software, perhaps DVD17 could do it if I have the correct PC hardware.

So the reason, as I see it, that I do not have a picture is the copy protection system, NOT the optical drive.

My optical drive fills all the functions that are needet to produce a data stream that only needs to be decoded by suitable software.

And how do you know that my drive does NOT fullfill all those requirements you list ????

And remember what PANA said: "If you can browse the disk the drive is ok"

As I said, we will find out in time.

Eugene

Your statement:
"I bought my LG drive to be able to BURN UHD discs and the Samsung reads my 4K disk files ok."
Take a photo, and show us your so called "UHD discs" cover that you burned by your LG drive.

Deryption or reading such protected video content will not just need software player or HDCP supports.
You already mentioned "AACS" on UHDBD yourself.
It needs optica drive hardware support, too.
And, your LG drive is not a UHDBD drive to support commercial UHDBD playback.

Put all responsibilities on software player or other hardware won't help users here, but just give them false hopes that they don't need to purcahse a new UHDBD drive.

By the way, sorry for my ignorance. Who is PANA? LG engineer?
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
Pana = NPoser?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 17. 2017 07:54

FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
[Post New]
Quote Pana = NPoser?

I think Pana = Pioneer i3 7100T + AsRock Z270 ITX + Pioneer BDR-211UBK
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
As a RedFox forum user discovered today, there is another UHD BD external drive on Japanese market already. Manufactured by Logitec company (do not confuse with Logitech), it is available in four color variants for ¥12.000 (list price 14.000).

The company released it on April 20th. How it is possible is a mystery for me, because they are not on on the list of licensed manufacturers http://www.blu-raydisc.info/licensee-list/rom-certified-licenseelist.php The only two companies listed there (the last paragraph) are Hitachi/LG and Pioneer. There is probably some kind of connection to Pioneer because Logitec is offering Pioneer drives on their website as well.

The drive comes without any playback software, instead there is a 15% discount coupon for CyberLink software. The UHD BD playback requirements remain unchanged, of course. Bundled with Power2Go only.

http://www.logitec.co.jp/products/bluray/lbdpud6u3l/index.php

Thus the answer to this thread subject currently looks like this:

Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK

Pioneer BDR-S11J-X

Pioneer BDR-211UBK

Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD (external)

Logitec LBD-PUD6U3L (external)

Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK (not yet released, external)

and possibly LG notebook drives BU40N and BU50N (available through AliExpress for a long time; untested)
[Thumb - image_01_top.jpg]
 Filename
image_01_top.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
206 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
161 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2017 15:39

My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
triffid
[Post New]
Good news for US customers:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129090&ignorebbr=1

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2017 15:43

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]

It's available at newegg.ca too, for more money though because of the crumby excahnge _ 170.00$ Canadian.