Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trimming existing DVD without re-encoding or re-rendering
Jim Garrison [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2008 14:22 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have a DVD containing some home movies. The actual duration of the content is about 25 minutes, but the DVD was originally rendered with 2 hours of blue screen at the end of the content to fill up the entire 4.7GB.

When I extract the video to MPEG2 I get six separate video files. Only the first four contain the home movie content, the last two are all blue screen.

I have tried concatenating the 4 files in other DVD authoring software (ROXIO) but that re-renders the video and reduces the quality significantly below the already dodgy quality of the Super-8 transfer.

Is it possible using PD15 to author a new DVD containing only the 25 minutes of content without re-rendering/re-encoding it to avoid losing any more quality?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, if whatever encoded the DVD in the first place is compliant with PD's DVD bitrate specification. Just copy (drag and drop) the VOB files of interest from the DVD to a holding spot on your computer. Import the VOB files to PD timeline, trim, and then create a new DVD. PD15 will use SVRT (Smart Video Rendering Technology) behind the burn process and create the DVD without reencoding if compliant.

Jeff
Jim Garrison [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent! You just sold a copy of PD15 :
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The trial version of PD15 will support this SVRT feature for you to try. CL does offer a 30-day money back guarantee if unsatisfied with your purchase if you bought from their portal. https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356

Jeff
Jim Garrison [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The trial version of PD15 will support this SVRT feature for you to try. CL does offer a 30-day money back guarantee if unsatisfied with your purchase if you bought from their portal. https://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356

Jeff

I'm way ahead of you. I downloaded the trial and tried it, and it did exactly what I wanted (well, after one false start where I didn't copy the VOB to the hard disk first. I didn't know DVD drives could make that much noise ;