Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why are all these .C00, .C01, .C02, .C03, .C04 files left over from my projects?
infobits [Avatar]
Newbie Location: NY, USA Joined: May 31, 2014 00:28 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I don't see anywhere to post for my PowerDirector 12 version that I own so I am posting it in the PowerDirector 15 thread...

I have transferred my VHS tapes to .mpeg2 files and created projects and burned DVD's from them using PowerDirector 12 Ultimate.

After which I noticed all these video files left over with file extensions of .C0x format. I know they are video files but am wondering if it is safe to delete them all since they take up a lot of disc space.

I am contenplating upgrading to PowerDirector 15 Ultimate but wonder if it will also leave behind these huge files?

Is it safe to delete these .C0x files without affecting my projects? Is this a bug where PD12 software should delete these work files but forgot to do it (as in a bug with the software)?

I've googled the internet for the answer and saw some asking about the same .C0x left over files... but no one ever really answered the question on if these files can be safely deleted after finishing a prioject or must they be kept around on the hard drive.

Thanks for any clarification.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I don't see anywhere to post for my PowerDirector 12 version that I own so I am posting it in the PowerDirector 15 thread...

I have transferred my VHS tapes to .mpeg2 files and created projects and burned DVD's from them using PowerDirector 12 Ultimate.

After which I noticed all these video files left over with file extensions of .C0x format. I know they are video files but am wondering if it is safe to delete them all since they take up a lot of disc space.

I am contenplating upgrading to PowerDirector 15 Ultimate but wonder if it will also leave behind these huge files?

Is it safe to delete these .C0x files without affecting my projects? Is this a bug where PD12 software should delete these work files but forgot to do it (as in a bug with the software)?

I've googled the internet for the answer and saw some asking about the same .C0x left over files... but no one ever really answered the question on if these files can be safely deleted after finishing a prioject or must they be kept around on the hard drive.

Do you have a 3D program called Cobalt. As far as I know that's generates these files Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I don't see anywhere to post for my PowerDirector 12 version that I own so I am posting it in the PowerDirector 15 thread...

The forum for previous versions of powerdirector is here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/87.page

Check in Preferences > General. Click the Manually Delete Button. Then check to see if those files are gone.

Another method would be to run the Disk Cleanup on C. Check the properties of C then click Disk Cleanup Button. Windows will not harm your computer. It is a safe method to cleanup the C drive.

I do not know what those files are, but to be safe, you can temporarily move them to another folder to see if that causes problems. If you do not encounter problems then I would think is is safe to remove them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2017 09:07

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Those are compressed backup files. By not giving the filename and only the extension then we don't know which application produced them.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Those are compressed backup files. By not giving the filename and only the extension then we don't know which application produced them.

The filenames are all just date stamps of the date I worked the projects like this:

2017_03_23_14_220.C00

2017_03_23_14_220.C01

2017_03_23_14_220.C02

2017_03_23_14_220.C03

2017_03_23_14_220.C04

Each file is a little larger than 1GB in size, so eats up disc space. I've submitted this question to Cyberlink support and will see if they will finally give a clear answer. They usually play dumb on tough questions that they can't or don't want to answer but this is such a simple question for one of their developers to answer I can't see why they won't simply say yes you can delete these files with no harm done to saved projects or no you need to keep these files around to maintain your project settings.

I can play these video files using the VLC player.

Seems no one can answer this simple question for years and years as I've seen others asking about these type left over files after doing a project burning to DVD's. I suspect that they can be deleted but just want to make sure that doing so won't affect my saved project profiles (e.g. lose all my detailed titles and settings) if I wanted to use the projects in the future to re-do things.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I also have PD12 ultimate. They are no such files created in my computer after creating a dvd with PD12, Imgburn, or P2Go. You may be using a different app or software.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi infobits -

I agree with tomasc's assessment, from the links I've found. The series of files with .C00, .C01, .C02 etc file extensions appear to be generated by some other software. They are variously referred to as backup or compressed files.

Here and here they're described as split archive files generated by Win Ace.

It's probably a bit "rich" expecting tech support to be able to confidently answer "such a simple question" when those files are almost certainly generated by third party software.

Questions:

1. Where are the files generated? i.e. what's the exact file path?

2. When were the files generated? i.e. at what exact stage of the process of transferring the original .mpeg2 files & creating the DVDs?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I also have PD12 ultimate. They are no such files created in my computer after creating a dvd with PD12, Imgburn, or P2Go. You may be using a different app or software.

Hi, it may not be from creating DVD's then. It may be from some other steps I do in the project(s). Basically what I did was

1) Capture video from a VHS tape from my video capture device. It saves these converted files as mpeg2 format.

2) I then edit the captured video file with all my customizations on the time-line view adding Chapter Titles, triming blank video clips, etc.

3) I then produce the finished edits as an mpeg4 output file.

4) Lastly I go to Create DVD to add menu's and sound customizations to all the chapters and then burn the DVD.

5) I exit PowerDirector 12 and then there are the left over *.C00, *.C01, *.C02, *.C03, *.C04 files.

It may be some other step that creates those *.C0x files. I just wonder why they are left behind after finishing and exiting PD12. Like is there a reason Cyberlink developers chose to leave these files behind with something in mind that they might use them for at a later time? or is it just a software bug that they forgot to add the routine to clean up and delete these un-needed files.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi infobits -

I agree with tomasc's assessment, from the links I've found. The series of files with .C00, .C01, .C02 etc file extensions appear to be generated by some other software. They are variously referred to as backup or compressed files.

Here and here they're described as split archive files generated by Win Ace.

It's probably a bit "rich" expecting tech support to be able to confidently answer "such a simple question" when those files are almost certainly generated by third party software.

Questions:

1. Where are the files generated? i.e. what's the exact file path?

2. When were the files generated? i.e. at what exact stage of the process of transferring the original .mpeg2 files & creating the DVDs?

Cheers - Tony

Hello, yes I already saw all those other sites mentioning 3rd party software generating .C0x files. I do not have Win Ace nor other 3rd party softwares installed by me. I only run PD12. So PD12 must have installed and uses those 3rd party software utils under the covers. The *.C0x files are created in the output directory path that I specified to save my project outputs along with my mpg video captured files and my produced mp4 files and *.pds project files.

UPATE: 03/30/2017 - I got a reply answer directly from Cyberlink Support saying that these *.C0x files are all temporary left over files from your projects and they can be deleted without affecting your projects. They also confirm that the latest PD 15 will also create and leave behind these *.C0x files and you can just delete them when done. So my questiom is finally answered by Cyberlink. We can close this thread now.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 30. 2017 15:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I also have PD12 ultimate. They are no such files created in my computer after creating a dvd with PD12, Imgburn, or P2Go. You may be using a different app or software.

I'm not a P2Go user but it will create a whole bunch of xx.Cyy files as the OP experiences. They are CL disc image format files, their own version of iso files. Anytime one sets the P2I setting for the disc image format vs a more traditional iso, you will get those incremental files at ~1GB for the image. The number of them depends on the size of the disc image being created.

Should one delete, probably depends if you want to maintain the disc image.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not a P2Go user but it will create a whole bunch of xx.Cyy files as the OP experiences. They are CL disc image format files, their own version of iso files. Anytime one sets the P2I setting for the disc image format vs a more traditional iso, you will get those incremental files at ~1GB for the image. The number of them depends on the size of the disc image being created.

Should one delete, probably depends if you want to maintain the disc image.

Jeff

That is interesting. I have P2Go 9 set up with the iso viewer and virtual drive which allows me to view dvd folders or an iso without burning to a dvd-rw to check for spelling errors, etc on my projects. I find it useful for burning dual layer dvd’s because Imgburn may fault out on my Philips blanks. It’s been about 3 years and before I responded I did a win explorer search for .c0? files and there were none. I do have the folder settings to allow viewing hidden files and folders.

The OP claims that he has PD12 ultimate installed and nothing else. I still have multiple versions of PD installed and have never seen them.

I do create iso files with PD to test user issues on this forum but never with P2Go. That still does not answer the OP question. He said Cyberlink support told him that they are created with PD12 and PD15. I must have tons of them on my pc but can't find them at all if they exist.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I just downloaded a trial of P2G 11 and it surely creates these file types as was suggested when creating a P2I iso file, pic attached. I’m not sure if P2G is integrated into the All-In-One “Media Suite” type editions CL has or not, never had one of those versions so I don’t know. My versions of PD only creates traditional iso’s, but maybe some versions create CL P2I iso’s or maybe some other form of product integration can create them.

My point was, I do think they are CL files, no third party to blame. Maybe with the additional thoughts something in the OP work flow may identify why they are created.

Jeff
[Thumb - P2G11.PNG]
 Filename
P2G11.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The OP said he has the PD12 ultimate, not the PD12 HE3D version in the mediasuite. PD15 is not yet available in any sold MediaSuite edition, only PD14. I am sure the OP and Cyberlink support is correct and you are too. They just don't exist here. Maybe it happens only in certain patched versions or in particular circumstances.