Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best file format to import into PD
PatPatPat [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: Jul 18, 2012 10:56 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I have an opportuinity to convert footage into any format prior to importing into PD.

Could anyone suggest what the optimum format for footage to be imported into PD would be?

I would also really appreciate an explanation on why this would be the best format.

Many thanks

P Hello
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The best video file format is the original source video unless you have a good reason to change it.
PatPatPat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thankyou

I have got reason to change it as it is CCTV footage that has to be transcoded to be able to be imported into PD Hello
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thankyou

I have got reason to change it as it is CCTV footage that has to be transcoded to be able to be imported into PD
What format was it transcoded to?

I would think that the native format (what is it?) from a CCTV camera would import into Powerdirector without converting to anything else.

Most of the Closed Circuit TV cameras I know of output mpeg2/mpg at 640/720 x 480. There are some HD cameras that output 1280x720 MP4, PD would have no problem with that format.

Have you tried importing the footage directly? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

PatPatPat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello

Thanks for the answer.

Please believe me whan I say it has to be transcoded. It is an exe proprietary format file which can only be played in the manufacturers player.

All I want to know is what is the best format to convert files to for PowerDirector and if there is any advantage of one format over the other

Thanks Hello
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

Thanks for the answer.

Please believe me whan I say it has to be transcoded. It is an exe proprietary format file which can only be played in the manufacturers player.

All I want to know is what is the best format to convert files to for PowerDirector and if there is any advantage of one format over the other

Thanks
That would depend on what formats are available to output from the manufacturer's software.

Powerdirector does fine with nearly all of the standard Video formats.

Powerdirector supports the following video formats:

Importing Media Files
Video: 3GPP2, AVI, DAT, DivX**, DV-AVI, DVR-MS*, FLV (H.264), HD MPEG-2, M2T*, MKV (H.264, H.265), MOD*, MOV, MOV (H.264), MP4, MPEG-1*, MPEG-2*, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)*, MPEG-4 HEVC (H.265)*, MTS*, TOD*, VOB*, VRO*, WMV, WMV-HD, WTV, XAVC S

Practically MPEG-2 or MP4 are the most used formats. WMV is very popular for Windows.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Presumably this executable is running under Windows. The video itself (analog or digital) must be 'grabbed' by the application initially from your camera and must be stored in some format, be it a proprietary one or not. What options does the application offer when it comes to saving the video? If there is an option to save to a 'lossless' file format then that is the one I would choose and at the highest possible quality. The things to avoid if possible are conversion and re-conversion between analog and digital and also compression, decompression and then recompression i.e. between different codecs. Apart from that it's best to try to match thing such as bitrate as closely as possible.

That's my 2p's worth smile.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The name of the device, and a 5 to 10 second sample file would be nice to have. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT