Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Youtube Video - AVCHD possible but not great
Walker [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 19, 2008 18:57 Messages: 97 Offline
[Post New]
I just made an attempted at making a video with Power Director 7 only (no converting or any other software used). This was rendered (after 5 crashes) as a 8000Kbps MP4 file (720p). Even though I selected 720p, it's still interlaced though. You can see that as the opening title slides in and when cars go by. I think it came out pretty cool though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVil3GxavHg&fmt=22

Right now, I have to give PD7 of rating of: Use it for SD content only. It crashed 5 times before rendering the MP4 file (an hour wasted). And it could not deal with working with multiple AVCHD files. PD7 would crash and freeze for seconds at a time. And, this was with my cores never going above 50% usage - same thign for the RAM. Something about the programming in PD7 itself is a bottleneck.

I've been forcing myself to learn Vegas on the side and it does not have these problems. It's never crashed on me during a render and it does not get sluggish when working with multiple AVCHD files. I'm seriously done with PD7 now for HD projects. I can't deal with that again (an hour lost to crash after crash). I'm sure PD7 will get fixed up at some point though.
Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 06, 2008 12:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just made an attempted at making a video with Power Director 7 only (no converting or any other software used). This was rendered (after 5 crashes) as a 8000Kbps MP4 file (720p). Even though I selected 720p, it's still interlaced though. You can see that as the opening title slides in and when cars go by. I think it came out pretty cool though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVil3GxavHg&fmt=22

Right now, I have to give PD7 of rating of: Use it for SD content only. It crashed 5 times before rendering the MP4 file (an hour wasted). And it could not deal with working with multiple AVCHD files. PD7 would crash and freeze for seconds at a time. And, this was with my cores never going above 50% usage - same thign for the RAM. Something about the programming in PD7 itself is a bottleneck.

I've been forcing myself to learn Vegas on the side and it does not have these problems. It's never crashed on me during a render and it does not get sluggish when working with multiple AVCHD files. I'm seriously done with PD7 now for HD projects. I can't deal with that again (an hour lost to crash after crash). I'm sure PD7 will get fixed up at some point though.

Hi Walker-

I'm new to editing and have posted 2 You Tube vids. After watching yours, I'm really embarassed about the quality of mine. Your's is really crisp and clear! Why does my look like crud? The vids are about 10-minutes each and grainy and blury...every time I try to upload to YouTube, it's this way.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but would like to know how I can improve the quality in mine.

Thanks-Gary
[Post New]
how did u make a mp4 file with power director ? the only option i have for mpeg 4 is that dumb m2ts file format that stinks
Walker [Avatar]
[Post New]

I didn't make a MP4 - I meant to type "MPEG4". Sorry about that.

This is what I did for that video:

-PRODUCE
-Create File
-MPEG4
-Select Custom Profile Type
-Click the EDIT button
-Select the Vidoe Tab
-Resolution: 1280x720 (720p)
-Average bitrate - 8000Kbps
-Max bitrate - 8000Kbps
-Advanced - "7" for highest quality

That did work great (except PD7 crashed 3-5 times for every 1 time it produced the video sucessfully). The only problem with the finished file is that it was still interlaced. The 1280x720 (720p) does seem to indicate it was not suppose to end up being interlaced.

The other options (like Deblocking, entropy, rate control) I have no idea about right now.
[Post New]
but when you created that didn't it make a m2ts file ? did you re-convert it to a mp4 file with a separate tool ?

cuz i was under the impression that when you select the mpeg4 codec with pd7 it only made those m2ts files that are not compatible with anything on the net unless you re convert it to something else.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2009 16:42

Walker [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: but when you created that didn't it make a m2ts file ? did you re-convert it to a mp4 file with a separate tool ?

cuz i was under the impression that when you select the mpeg4 codec with pd7 it only made those m2ts files that are not compatible with anything on the net unless you re convert it to something else.

The file I uploaded was the MPEG4 file right out of Power Director.

I did then take that file and create an MP4 with it in Sony Vegas 8 Pro. That came out perfect and the interlacing was gone. I just never bothered to replace the original I uploaded. My point was to try and do the best uploaded video I could only using PD7.
[Post New]
see that my whole dilemma because when i create the mpeg4 the outputted video generates a .m2ts file. you uploaded that onto youtube or u actually generated an .mp4 file extension out of pd7
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Keep in mind the m2ts is a container, the actual video codec can be a multitude of things inside this container, VC-1, MPEG-II, H264...., for PD7, produced as you described, I believe PD7 2227c currently use the H264 (AVC) video codec. So to imply it's a m2ts file by itself may or may not be significant. It really depends on were and how the m2ts file was generated.

Jeff
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: but when you created that didn't it make a m2ts file ? did you re-convert it to a mp4 file with a separate tool ?

Both YouTube and Vimeo support direct uploading of m2ts files. YouTube crashes after the upload, but it always uploads successfuly (for me). Vimeo also has no problem. Like the other have said, its an H.264 encoded file with an m2ts extension. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Walker [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have two questions:

1) Has anyone got an upload to work at the 720p quality level and have PD7 de-interlace the video?

2) Haw anyone else noticed that the crash/hang rate when producing HD files is much higher and gets progressively worse the higher the resolution is you're using?

---------------------------

After I got done making that video I was really frustrated and swearing I wasn't going to use PD7 again for AVCHD files. The #1 problem is how easily PD7 crashed for me when producing the MPEG4 files. I tried producing a 1080 MPEG4 7 times in a row and it crashed 7 time in a row.

Hopefully there will be a nice patch comming sometime.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2009 21:58