Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Movie Information Service not available
robbie1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I use PowerDVD 14 one one desktop PC and PowerDVD 13 on a laptop. Both in the last couple of days cannot access the 'Movie Information Service". I get a "navigation error-retry" message and to "check your internet connection". I recently installed a new router, but my internet connection is fine. The desktop PC is wired and the laptop wireless. Both have an internet connection.

Is this movie service offline or is there a problem on my end?
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi robbie1,

Please delete the cache data under: C:\Users\(USER_NAME)\AppData\Local\CyberLink

You should make hidden files and folders visible first.

Greetings

Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
robbie1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi robbie1,

Please delete the cache data under: C:\Users\(USER_NAME)\AppData\Local\CyberLink

You should make hidden files and folders visible first.

Greetings

Hicham

Thanks, but I tried that and it didn't make any difference. I opened a ticket with support and they had me download and install it again, deleting all the old folders before I did. The new Ultra 14 they supplied does the same thing. I just cleared the appdata cache again and still no luck. I don't see how it could be a firewall or router issue as I have other programs on my computer that can access databases of movies, music etc. like IMDB, gracenote, etc. I've run scandisc, full antivirus scans including one with Malwarebytes and nothing turns up. I'm wondering if there is a process I might have accidentally stopped that cyberlink needs to access the movie info? The fact that two different versions of PowerDVD are doing it on two different computers has me mystified. Both versions are legitimate, paid versions and I furnished tech support the receipt information. It's not a huge deal as I can still use the software to watch movies. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.
[Post New]
I have the same issue with PowerDVD 15 Ultra fresh installed on my new laptop.
PowerDVD Ultra 15.0.4630.62, Windows 10 x64 1809, CPU i7-8750H, GPU GTX1070 8GB, 32GB RAM 2666MHz.

Multimedia catalog > Film/TV spins forever looking for connection... and in the end reports: "PowerDVD cannot connect to the movie information service...".
Internet connection is perfectly working, I don't have blocking firewalls and AVs, the program can successfully check online version and updates, and I can access to Video online > YouTube for example...

Tried also to delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\CyberLink\PowerDVD15 but didn't solve the issue. One entire week has passed and still the same error. Tried also changing DNS with free ones like Comodo DNS, Watch DNS, Norton DNS but nothing changed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2019 05:26

robbie1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's been a good while, but somehow when I upgraded to PowerDVD 17 it solved the problem.
[Post New]
Quote It's been a good while, but somehow when I upgraded to PowerDVD 17 it solved the problem.

Great, but I need a fix also for PowerDVD15 Ultra: it looks like a changed server address or something trivial like that... Not worth 50$ just to have a basic functionality working as expected as it was up to a few months ago (?).

Just to be clear: that Multimedia catalog > Movie/TV function NEVER worked, even reinstalling PowerDVD 15 was useless.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2019 06:57

[Post New]
SOLVED!
It seems PowerDVD 15 still relies on Internet Explorer's Internet Options (yes, not Edge but IE): resetting IE settings and in particular setting OFF 'Warn if changing between secure and non secure mode' + 'Use TLS 1.0' ON + 'Use SSL 3.0' ON did the trick.
Immediately Movies/TV section started to work again loading all contents as expected!

N.B.:
Enabling TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 is not very safe: https://www.ssl.com/how-to/turn-off-ssl-3-0-and-tls-1-0-in-your-browser/

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2019 07:04

robbie1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad you finally got it solved. That also explains why a later version worked.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2019 21:39

Jacques2950 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2013 13:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
same here with powerdvd 20.
" Powerdvd cannot connect to the Movie information service. Check your internet connection and then try again"

This is not the first time that powerdvd gives this message.
I did everything, even reinstalled the complete package. No use.
Mostly after a week it works again.

Is this why we have to pay so much for each upgrade?
The service of your product is nihil
MirceaForce [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 29, 2016 13:26 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Quote same here with powerdvd 20.
" Powerdvd cannot connect to the Movie information service. Check your internet connection and then try again"

This is not the first time that powerdvd gives this message.
I did everything, even reinstalled the complete package. No use.
Mostly after a week it works again.

Is this why we have to pay so much for each upgrade?
The service of your product is nihil

Same problem here stuck in this loop "loading the latest movie information" using powerdvd 20 build 2325 latest version..

CyberLink are where if this issue ? nay updates on this ?