Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Export PD project to Pro Tools?
John Toronto [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto, Canada Joined: Oct 30, 2011 22:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My first post here. I've been a casual user of PD for about 5 years, but am now completing a much larger project: a 1-hour doc that will have some public screenings. I wasn't expecting this when I started.

An acquaintance who is a professional film sound editor (and director) has offered to work on & improve the audio - a mix of interview, videos, narration & music. I think it would really benefit from his work; I did some work in Audio Director, but the film would really be improved with a pro's skill.

He asked me to give him a "sequence file" in OMF or AAF format so he can work on audio by individual tracks.

Can't find any way to do that, looking in PD(15), or searching here, KB, or general Internet searching. Seems other products (Final Cut Pro, Adobe, Avid) support those formats.

I suspect I'm out of luck, but thought I'd post the question here. Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John -

Your suspicion is correct. PDR cannot export an AAF or OMF sequence file as FCP etc can. Effectively, they're project files that can be opened & edited in ProTools.

I imagine your timeline sequence is faily complex, with video clips, VO, music, interviews (either video or audio only). If you could post a full screenshot of your project, that might help with a workaround.

This is not ideal, but would allow your friend to work on the audio elements of your project...

You could produce each track of your project separately, by temporarily disabling the other tracks. Produce to as close to original quality as possible.

Let's say Track 1 is main video content, Track 2 is overlaid interviews, Track 3 is titles/graphics, Track 4 is your VO & Track 5 is music. By providing a produced version of each separate track (Track 3 wouldn't be necessary), which includes periods of silence when nothing's happening in that track, your friend will have a series of video/audio files that are sequenced in the same way as your project. They can be imported into ProTools for editing.

I have to admit that's a stab in the dark because I've never used any of the software you've mentioned, but I think it should work.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
John Toronto [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto, Canada Joined: Oct 30, 2011 22:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony

I'd become pretty certain I couldn't do this with PDR.

You're right about my timeline. I have about 370 items in my Media Library, a number of them are split into multiple clips in the various tracks. Right now, my tracks are a bit inconsistent here in terms of standardization, but I intend to fix that.

And I was already mulling over something along the lines of what you are suggesting. He's only going to be working on the audio, so I thought of producing separate audio tracks for him, set up to ensure they align properly when he loads them into one PT project. I'll get his feedback to see if it's practical, and make sure I optimize what I gave him.

I did get worried at first, because I really did want to improve the audio. Might still be able to do that.

thanks again!
John

Quote Hi John -

Your suspicion is correct. PDR cannot export an AAF or OMF sequence file as FCP etc can. Effectively, they're project files that can be opened & edited in ProTools.

I imagine your timeline sequence is faily complex, with video clips, VO, music, interviews (either video or audio only). If you could post a full screenshot of your project, that might help with a workaround.

This is not ideal, but would allow your friend to work on the audio elements of your project...

You could produce each track of your project separately, by temporarily disabling the other tracks. Produce to as close to original quality as possible.

Let's say Track 1 is main video content, Track 2 is overlaid interviews, Track 3 is titles/graphics, Track 4 is your VO & Track 5 is music. By providing a produced version of each separate track (Track 3 wouldn't be necessary), which includes periods of silence when nothing's happening in that track, your friend will have a series of video/audio files that are sequenced in the same way as your project. They can be imported into ProTools for editing.

I have to admit that's a stab in the dark because I've never used any of the software you've mentioned, but I think it should work.

Cheers - Tony
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
Member Location: Swizterland Joined: Jul 23, 2014 16:04 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Hi! Even 5 years passed of your question and answer you received, I have same problem now! I use PD 365 and want to improove audio and they adked me AAF file but can't find in the editing program!

how did you manage?
suggestion given was okay?