Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Limited colorspace?
MrMazda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2015 19:22 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
It seems as if PowerDVD ONLY output 16-235 limited RGB... This has never been a problem in the past but since AMD discontinued the Catalyst driver in favor of their newer Crimson, they also removed the dynamic range option.

I'm unable to get a properly calibrated picture with the Crimson drivers... Any workaround except reverting to older Catalyst?

Same behavior in PDVD 14, 15 and 16...

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2017 12:52

stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
If you set your desktop to RGB FULL, doesn't this fix the problem?
MrMazda [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you set your desktop to RGB FULL, doesn't this fix the problem?

Thanks but may I ask what you mean "exactly" by setting the "desktop" to full RGB?

In Crimson, the only option is to set the "pixel format" to either full or limited RGB... Which PDVD doesn't seem to take into account as it has no effect on the blacks or whites... they both still get clipped.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks but may I ask what you mean "exactly" by setting the "desktop" to full RGB?

In Crimson, the only option is to set the "pixel format" to either full or limited RGB... Which PDVD doesn't seem to take into account as it has no effect on the blacks or whites... they both still get clipped.

Yes that's the option I was referring to.

Are you trying to calibrate from 0-255 (Full) instead of 16-235 (Limited)?

If so I have to ask why? Pretty much all video is in the 16-235 range.

What are you using to calibrate with?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2017 19:48

MrMazda [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes that's the option I was referring to.

Are you trying to calibrate from 0-255 (Full) instead of 16-235 (Limited)?

If so I have to ask why? Pretty much all video is in the 16-235 range.

What are you using to calibrate with?

No, I want to calibrate with 16-235 but this is not achievable with the Crimson drivers... Setting the pixel format to limited RGB is not enough!!! I just keep reverting to the old catalyst to get the "dynamic range" setting back and set it to 16-235. It's the only way I can get proper blacks and whites!!!

I have an AMD HD7770 and a HD6450 and both behave the same way on Crimson. They are hooked up via HDMI to my Pioneer VSX-1023 which then drives either my Samsung F6400 or my Epson 5030UB projector. Both displays behave the same way.

I'm trying to calibrate with Spears Munsil 2nd edition Bluray, through PowerDVD... http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio/setting-the-contrast-control-2/

My whites get clipped, no matter what pixel format I use... I have not really paid attention to the blacks yet. It's seems as if PDVD isn't seeing the limited range pixel format??? I'm out of ideas...

This has been discussed over on AMD forums, no solution yet... Unless I'm missing something???

https://community.amd.com/thread/209009

https://community.amd.com/thread/212110

My Catalyst driver works, but it's getting old and I wish I could use the latest drivers which are more appropriate for gaming!
stewart_pk [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think PowerDVD and pretty much all video software doesn't actually "see" the Pixel Format setting of the AMD drivers.

This setting dictates what the AMD hardware should output to at the final stage(s).

This probably doesn't help you but whatever software you use, you should pay attention to this setting.

I've calibrated using some test clips from AVS with madVR which I'm led to believe expands all 16-235 colour space to 0-255 for processing. So to avoid another conversion by the AMD hardware or software I have the Pixel Format set to 0-255. 0-255 is best for a PC desktop anyway.

If I get some spare time I might try my Disney Calibration bluray disc and PowerDVD but I'm unsure at this stage what AMD Pixel Format setting is best.