Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
360 Cameras for a Novice - ANY ADVICE?
ESK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 12, 2017 17:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,I am brand new to editing anything and a pure novice. Therefore, buying an expensive and awesome 360 camera is currently a waste of time and technology for multiple obvious reasons.

SO:Any advice on relatively affordable basic 360 cameras so I can take some 360 video and learn how to manipulate it, etc.?

Added info: I have Windows 10 and I own a Galaxy 7 Edge.

Is there a cheaper option than dropping 250-400 dollars for a beginner?

Thanks for reading!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,I am brand new to editing anything and a pure novice. Therefore, buying an expensive and awesome 360 camera is currently a waste of time and technology for multiple obvious reasons.

SO:Any advice on relatively affordable basic 360 cameras so I can take some 360 video and learn how to manipulate it, etc.?

Added info: I have Windows 10 and I own a Galaxy 7 Edge.

Is there a cheaper option than dropping 250-400 dollars for a beginner?

Thanks for reading!

An affordable, basic 360-degree camera? I don't think there's any such beast! Not yet, anyway! 360-degree videography is still in its infancy so a lot of cameras capable of shooting this type of video are gonna cost megabucks for the immediate future. It might be wise to hold off and keep an eye on the videocamera market to see what happens. Newer models will come along and as the current models get displaced so their price will come down as a result. PD15 is the FIRST NLE(non-linear editor) to accomodate this type of videography as far as Cyberlink goes(I don't yet know of any other NLE's that can cope).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2017 00:10

ESK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks!I figured that much... I'll keep up my due diligence and see what happens...
[Post New]
Currently using an LG 360 camera which has good features like a strong case with excellent protection and a very useful manual mode for photographs. Used with a Samsung S6 it should be well at home with a Galaxy S7 Edge and of coures PD 15 will edit the results

BUT - it is only capable of 2K images - that is 2K divided around the whole 360 degrees. On sunny days it produces reasonable photos but much better video. However it has proved to be a great intro to 360.

Have seen various prices for it ranging from £90 to £150 on average with some sellers asking silly money ie: over £250. Hunt around seems to be the answer.

As mentioned the cameras will improve in time but I was keen to get into 360 and learn.

Cheers - Don Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
Processor: Intel i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
120 GB SSD
Drift Ghost S Headcam
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Look for a used or refurbished Samsun Gear 360 camera. I had a LG 360 and gave it away because the quality was so bad.

It has a much greater resolution and works well with Power Director sinc ePD will do the stitching and allow for editing. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I would love a few sample clips directly from 360 cameras to add to my site for people to download and test. No more than 15 seconds and family-friendly of course. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would love a few sample clips directly from 360 cameras to add to my site for people to download and test. No more than 15 seconds and family-friendly of course.

Barry, before or after stitching? I can do some later today. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would love a few sample clips directly from 360 cameras to add to my site for people to download and test. No more than 15 seconds and family-friendly of course.

Barry, before or after stitching? I can do some later today.
I'm not really sure, Steve, maybe both. I will defer to your judgment. See pm. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Barry, before or after stitching? I can do some later today.

Stitching? Are we using needles with cotton thread to edit video now? ha-ha!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote Thanks!I figured that much... I'll keep up my due diligence and see what happens...
Please, ESK, when you decide and buy one can you come back and provide us with a few sample files and share your experience? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ESK -

While you're biding your time on the 360 video question, it's worth having a look at reviews and user forums to see what others experience is. Just a couple:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-360-cameras,review-3737.html

https://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/360-cameras-comparison-video-things-to-know-before-you-buy/

I've never used a 360 camera, so I can't offer any personal experience... like Steve's comment: Look for a used or refurbished Samsung Gear 360 camera. I had a LG 360 and gave it away because the quality was so bad. There are quite a few new ones coming onto the market & it's worth waiting & watching while it develops.

It's always a toss up between budget/quality/features. In the Tom's Hardware link, you'll see that the camera rated as the overall "best" doesn't even take full 360, yet its image quality is excellent.

Neil - it's just stitching like in a regular panorama, but way more complex because it's stitched in multiple directions rather than one.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Pano.jpg]
 Filename
Pano.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2017 18:38

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Neil - it's just stitching like in a regular panorama, but way more complex because it's stitched in multiple directions rather than one.

Cheers - Tony

Hi, Tony! I knew what they were talking about, but the line lent itself to my er... "warped" sense of humour! There, I said it... Warped! I dobbed myself in right there!
ESK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks!I figured that much... I'll keep up my due diligence and see what happens...
Please, ESK, when you decide and buy one can you come back and provide us with a few sample files and share your experience?

Will do!
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I keep an eye on this site; mixture of reviews & tips about upcoming hardware; the writer generally seems to be quite well informed

http://360rumors.blogspot.co.uk/

Personally I am looking with interest at this one; due for release soon

http://360rumors.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ces-2017-why-kodak-orbit360-4k-could-be.html Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
ESK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone.

I will post up here anything we learn over time.

e