Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
grabbing private VHS videos
Ragr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2017 05:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am recently operating a USB videograbber from SilverCrest in combination with Powerdirector 12 software and a Philips VR Videorecorderand . So far everything is functioning. I started today to grab my private home VHS videos to my Laptop. The system stops continueosly and a window opens with the text : it is not allowed to copy this video. Can please sombody give me a hint what I have to do to avoid that the systems stosp the recording on my laptop.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Just a guess but many times that is a error given in response to a poor signal from the video tape or device. Are your tapes in good condition?

Note: That message is usually used to prevent copying of copy protected content off a vhs tape. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Ragr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just a guess but many times that is a error given in response to a poor signal from the video tape or device. Are your tapes in good condition?

Note: That message is usually used to prevent copying of copy protected content off a vhs tape.

The tapes where made when my daugther was 3 years old . Now she is 24.

I do not know how i can judge the quality of the tapes .

Do you know a way to bypass the problem?

thx for your reaction!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2017 08:42

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Just the normal types of maintenance and connections. Clean the tape pick up heads on the VHS. Your manual probably has directions. You may need to demagnitizee. Be careful.

Make sure that all connections are clean and tight.

Make sure that the video grabber device has the latest drivers (if applicable).

Since those tapes are not replaceable, you may want to take them to have them professionably repaired. In fact, you may want them to be professanally copied to a DVD.

Have faith, I have been able to copy 25 year old tapes to a DVD but it did take some time.

Also perhaps others may have a better or alternative solution to that error. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Ragr [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thx for the information,

I will continue to look for the solution

kind regards

Quote Just the normal types of maintenance and connections. Clean the tape pick up heads on the VHS. Your manual probably has directions. You may need to demagnitizee. Be careful.

Since those tapes are not replaceable, you may want to take them to have them professionably repaired. In fact, you may want them to be professanally copied to a DVD.

Have faith, I have been able to copy 25 year old tapes to a DVD but it did take some time.

Also perhaps others may have a better or alternative solution to that error.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thx for the information,

I will continue to look for the solution

kind regards

Quote Just the normal types of maintenance and connections. Clean the tape pick up heads on the VHS. Your manual probably has directions. You may need to demagnitizee. Be careful.

Also perhaps others may have a better or alternative solution to that error.

Has the anti erase tab on the back been removed? If so stick some tape over it Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector is notorious for failing to "grab" old VHS tapes. Try another software such as WinDV, there are a few more links on my site to capture softwares. Most should work with your device. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
stevek
[Post New]
Shadowman, Why would the original poster want to enable erase on these valuable VHS tapes? Does that tab do anyhtiung else to benefit the original poster? .
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Shadowman, Why would the original poster want to enable erase on these valuable VHS tapes? Does that tab do anyhtiung else to benefit the original poster?

SteveK

I just thought it might be worth a try. I thought that maybe if you cant erase the tape, maybe you cant copy it either.

You seem to think that I was suggesting replacing the non-erase tab, I wasn't suggesting that at all. I simply asked, if you read the post again, if the the tab had been removed and If it had try putting some tape over it and trying again. I am assuming that OP would have the good sense to take the tape off again if it didn't work.

I'm not that stupid Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
stevek
[Post New]
Thanks for the clarification. .
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Just a guess but many times that is a error given in response to a poor signal from the video tape or device. Are your tapes in good condition?

Note: That message is usually used to prevent copying of copy protected content off a vhs tape.

The tapes where made when my daugther was 3 years old . Now she is 24.

I do not know how i can judge the quality of the tapes .

Do you know a way to bypass the problem?

thx for your reaction!

You can lift the protective flap that covers the tape in a VHS cassette but you can really only see the section of tape that's exposed at whatever point the tape is at. There's a little button on the right-hand side of the cassette with the flap facing away from you, which is normally pushed by a lever as the tape is inserted into the VCR. Pushing that button will allow you to view the tape itself. Probably the best thing to do is view the tape before you attempt to capture the content. Severe audio/video dropouts along the tape, which also affect the control track, can cause the phenomenon you're experiencing, I've seen this myself when transferring old VHS content to my computer. View the tape, stop and eject where you see any dropouts and inspect the physical condition of the tape. Even if it isn't "crinkled" there might be foreign matter or partially-erased portions that might trigger that "false copyright warning". Any number of problems can occur when trying to capture from old analogue sources, probably helps to keep your fingers crossed for luck as you recover those "precious memories".