Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sound Clips and Copyrights
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I downloaded a sound clip from DZ and used it in a Timelapse clip that I uploaded to Instagram and Facebook.

Got a copyright warning from Facebook. I admit I did not do my due dilligance as I assumed anything from DZ was ok to use on non commercial content shares.

Can anyone educate me on the process if ok to use or how to credit the clip to the proper owner ?

I am new at sharing my edits and would like to share them but want to do it legally of course.

Thanks

Scott

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 19. 2017 17:40

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott -

The truth is that none of us really has a clue about the things uploaded to DirectorZone. When users upload an effect, they have to check the disclaimer that they are not infringing any copyright etc. CyberLink, wisely, takes no responsibility for that.

For example, I just uploaded this particle effect. Yes - I made the particle effect, but you don't know whether I made the original graphic or not. I didn't, but it's unlikely to be flagged anywhere. Audio clips are quite different. YouTube detects them!

Unless there are many hundreds of DZ users who also happen to be composers/musicians, there is likely to be a good % of material that has been uploaded not according to the checked disclaimer.

Also, there are times when YouTube or FaceBook can falsely flag audio. If you post the DZ link to the audio clip, its source/licensing information may be able to be verified.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - DZ Disclaimer.jpg]
 Filename
DZ Disclaimer.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
318 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 19. 2017 19:08

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
This is an ongoing problem and I've recently had first-hand experience of it through a YouTube upload I did a while back, now I see a poster who's come up against this same situation while uploading to Facebook(admittedly I avoid Facebook - too many "trolls").

My own experience was in using a music piece sourced from "Triple Scoop Music" one of a few outlets for licence-free music for the purpose of YouTube videos, yet on using the particular piece("A Whimsical Journey" by Abbass Premjee) and giving due acknowledgment in the closing credit sequence of my video, it still came up as being "copyrighted" Huh? I wasn't "pinged" for it by YouTube but up to this point I had avoided using music in my YouTube uploads, and now I'm made extremely wary about music content in any future uploads.

YouTube(and Facebook too) need to get their act together and understand that there ARE people out there who want to liven up their videos for YouTube, but want to do it the right way by utilising music that had been given "clearance" for just such purposes. If I'd used a track like "Sacha" by Hank Marvin(copyright 1969, EMI Ltd.), then I'd expect to be flagged, but for "A Whimsical Journey" by Abbass Premjee? YouTube(and Facebook) simply aren't playing fair!
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
First thank you both for such speedy responses.

Right now I am primarily uploading to Instagram and FB because I really only share with a few family members and friends that use those sites. I am not looking for views or to attract subscribers etc. I am careful not to use popular music or anything close. In this case I used a 29 sec. piano clip but didnt see any credits associaited with it so I thought it should be ok. I Googled what FB had sent as the owner and sure enough it is a female pianist in Europe who is playing Chopin or something. So she is playing someone elses music and I am sharing her rendition. So how far back do I have to go to credit the proper person. ? Ha ha

I will obviously have to join the frustrated crowd and take extra care when selecting sound clips for my videos.

Here is the "harmless" time lapse clip in its entirety. Very simple in terms of editing as I am only two months in as a PD 15 user. Learning as I go.

Thank you again for your helpful responses
 Filename
SNOWMAN BW.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Timelapse and other experiments
 Filesize
22305 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2017 00:01

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott, Neil & anyone else who cares -

The thot plickens...

First, Scott: After you posted your video attachment I located the sound clip on DirectorZone. It's not Chopin, but Mozart - so who knows what's going on with their tagging? What a mess. Here's someone else playing it...

Anyway, the DZ poster almost certainly isn't licensed to share it embarassed

BTW, I posted a video containg that DZ sound clip to YouTube & FaceBook. FB flagged it straight away, but YT hasn't twigged yet. See attached screenshot

Neil - Whimsical Journey - that's an odd one because the license information from Triple Scoop Music states that: These songs are provided by Triple Scoop Music for use within your personal (non-business) photo slideshows and videos. You may share and freely distribute your personal slideshows and videos containing TSM songs to others and post them on your personal Facebook or YouTube pages. I'm assuming you got the music as a bonus pack when purchasing PDR 14.

Here's a funny thing - in searching for a connection between "Whimsical Journey" & Muserk, I came across this discussion featuring one of our PDR forum members. Whimsical Journey is available form Muserk and Triple Scoop Music.

I also posted a video containing "Whimsical Journey" on YouTube. A copyright claim was made & I've disputed it. I'll keep you updated. Also see attached screenshot. The video called Whimsical Mozart" contains parts of both pieces and hasn't been flagged.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - YouTube music.jpg]
 Filename
YouTube music.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
47 time(s)

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Tony!

This situation is becoming farcical! Works by classical composers(Schubert, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and co.) are deemed to be in the Public Domain, meaning any competent musician can play them and use them for YouTube and they, by rights should NOT be flagged. As far as "Whimsical Journey" by Abbass Premjee is concerned, my access to that tune came about after installing a third-party NLE video software on my computer(I'll PM you the details there). Triple Scoop Music tracks were part of the bundle on the installation disc, I copied them and plonked them onto my desktop for quick and easy access. I thought the music was intended for use with videos, your info seems to confirm this, as you wrote in italics:

These songs are provided by Triple Scoop Music for use within your personal (non-business) photo slideshows and videos. You may share and freely distribute your personal slideshows and videos containing TSM songs to others and post them on your personal Facebook or YouTube pages.

I'll reveal that the source was Pinniacle Studio 18, not Power Director 14. The italic wording, as you quoted it, pretty-much says it all, so why should YouTube tell me the track I chose is copyrighted? It's so damned confusing! The stuff I produce for YouTube is, in a way, personal. I edit stuff for myself and I also edit for a friend and put his video work on YouTube(he gets a buzz out of seeing his stuff on YT) but I've been extremely wary about using music - any music - owing to this situation.
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Mozart sorry ! He's been dead for 226 years ! RIP Wolfie

Hopefully I didnt open a can of worms for the original uploader of that clip. I am sure that person put it there with good intention.

Oddly FB warning asked me if I wanted to upload it anyway or delete the post. So I deleted it.

5 hours later it posted anyway ! HUH ? Its still there so I am leaving it until I hear from Mozarts people.

So if that type of classical music should be legal to use, anyone that "covers it" their cover should also be legal to use? As in my case?

I ususally research this stuff myself but the legal mumbo jumbo hurts my brain.

Thank you all again.

S ____________________________________

ynotfish
[Post New]
Cans of worms are fine. We all learn from them.

Here's some interesting information on Myths & Misconceptions with music in YouTube videos. Check #4 - the sheet music may be out of copyright, but the recording is not.

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Mozart sorry ! He's been dead for 226 years ! RIP Wolfie

Hopefully I didnt open a can of worms for the original uploader of that clip. I am sure that person put it there with good intention.

Oddly FB warning asked me if I wanted to upload it anyway or delete the post. So I deleted it.

5 hours later it posted anyway ! HUH ? Its still there so I am leaving it until I hear from Mozarts people.

So if that type of classical music should be legal to use, anyone that "covers it" their cover should also be legal to use? As in my case?

I ususally research this stuff myself but the legal mumbo jumbo hurts my brain.

Thank you all again.

S

Ol' Wolfie Mozart & the rest of his cohorts are just lyin' around, pushin' up daisies! What do they care if some amateur Liberace-wannabe sits in front of a baby grand(without waiting for it to reach adulthood - ha-ha) and bangs away at the keys to play "Lied Zur Freud"(Ode To Joy). Doesn't matter how many times it's been recorded(even if you count the 1971 rock version by Apollo 100), the tune itself is still Public Domain and YouTube should really "get off the backs" of anyone competent enough to play their own version and drop it on the soundtrack of a YouTube video.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Cans of worms are fine. We all learn from them.

Here's some interesting information on Myths & Misconceptions with music in YouTube videos. Check #4 - the sheet music may be out of copyright, but the recording is not.

Cheers - Tony

That's fairly close to what I said in a couple of my previous posts., basically, if a record has been made of a classic music piece(Beethoven's 9th Symphony, for instance), the physical recording is protected by "mechanical copyright" but if an individual sets out to play the same tune, reading off sheet music, the copyright on that sheet music has long since lapsed and the piece is now well and truly in the Public Domain for any competent, or even half-way competent musician to make their own home recording of the piece. Really, it ain't "rocket science"!
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Interesting read and in laymans terms no less. Thanks !

So it looks like I have to either create modern silent movies or pay for licences. I am not opposed to paying if I have access to a deep diverse library.

Does anyone use Beatsuite ? If so for my country is says USD $ 80 is that for all the music or just one clip ?

This is what one page says on the site

Standard Licence Covers any single music track. Track can be used as many times as you like and is covered for use in perpetuity. A PDF license is provided after purchase.

$ 80 sounds reasonable for it all but not per track.

Thanks again to all that helped. I really appreciate it alot ! ____________________________________

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]

$ 80 sounds reasonable for it all but not per track.

Yeah! $80 for one track IS very steep! But a lot of this mess is of YouTube's making. If only they'd "get off people's backs" when they're using music that is supposed to be licence-free and intended for the very purpose of adding to the soundtracks of videos intended for YouTube. It'd make things a whole lot easier!
Peter Podder
[Post New]
Or something that gives you permission if you are not monitizing. I just want to share. If I decide to try to make YouTube money then I should have to pay at that time and either get the permissions or remove videos without permission. Still cant figure out why Facebook cares. ____________________________________

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Or something that gives you permission if you are not monitizing. I just want to share. If I decide to try to make YouTube money then I should have to pay at that time and either get the permissions or remove videos without permission. Still cant figure out why Facebook cares.

Good point! I've elected not to monetize due to the nature of what I upload, which is about rail transport(towit, Trams & Trains) and more recently some video how-to segments I've produced on how to create various effects in PD14. I've used music in a video just once and got a notice that it was copyrighted. Tony(Ynotfish) has picked up on this, scroll back up the page to read his comments.

Suffice to say, I'm now extremely wary of using music in my videos because of this.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Scott -

There's a way to share that Snowman timelapse on FaceBook, without getting any copyright notice. If you upload it to YouTube (which still hasn't issued me a notification), you can simply paste the YT link in a FaceBook post, as I've done here. See the attached screenshot.

Neil -

Some of the music to which you refer cannot be accurately described as "license free". For example, if you purchased "Whimsical Journey" directly from Triple Scoop Music there are license purchase options (shown in attached screenshot).

Now - I don't know what kind of deal Pinnacle, Corel or CyberLink have done with Triple Scoop Music or Muserk... but I'll bet they didn't pay to cover thousands of NLE users!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Triple Scoop License.png]
 Filename
Triple Scoop License.png
[Disk]
 Description
for Neil
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
34 time(s)
[Thumb - FB Mozart.jpg]
 Filename
FB Mozart.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
for Scott
 Filesize
445 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
32 time(s)

Peter Podder
[Post New]
Thanks Tony.

I did remove the clip from FB when informed that there was an issue.

I dont know what YT does but FB gave me a choice to leave it and essentially challenge it.

Check out the body of the e-mail they sent.

Then when I followed the link to the site I chose to delete. And it posted 5 hours later anyway. Aparently there really wasnt anything to worry about ?

https://www.facebook.com/video_copyright/notification/checkpoint/?video_id=411260089213787

Did someone say farcical.

I do realize though that FB was not intened to host the same type of content as YT but thats what my extended family uses to share their life. And so I play along.

Gonna look more into Erics music from this site. He may just have some clips I can use for some of my vids.

Else you"ll hear me whistling tunes in the background of my work. To my knowledge I own my own tongue.
[Thumb - FB Warning Snowman TL.PNG]
 Filename
FB Warning Snowman TL.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
16 time(s)

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Scott -

There's a way to share that Snowman timelapse on FaceBook, without getting any copyright notice. If you upload it to YouTube (which still hasn't issued me a notification), you can simply paste the YT link in a FaceBook post, as I've done here. See the attached screenshot.

Neil -

Some of the music to which you refer cannot be accurately described as "license free". For example, if you purchased "Whimsical Journey" directly from Triple Scoop Music there are license purchase options (shown in attached screenshot).

Now - I don't know what kind of deal Pinnacle, Corel or CyberLink have done with Triple Scoop Music or Muserk... but I'll bet they didn't pay to cover thousands of NLE users!

Cheers - Tony

Well, Tony, looks like I won't be using any more of Triple Scoop Music(Muserk)'s content. As they say, once bitten, twice shy. I had downloaded a few of Eric Matyas's tracks, I may try one of them but I may need to open it in my Sound Forge and re-save it with a variant of its title format, thus: Eric Matyas] MAGICAL GETAWAY(E. Matyas) Eric Matyas 2017, then, on saving, delete the sfk file that gets generated with MP3 files. That should(might) get me past copyright flagging(fingers crossed).

Cheers!