Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing media problem and unlink audio and video problem
Cylindrically [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2014 19:45 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Two issues withPD14 just appeared that have not before. I have ben shooting all of my videos with an iPad for a few years now so nothing changed there. I am editing the videos on a Win7 computer, same as always for all previous projects.

Issue 1: On the most recent project, there are 5 video files to import. The first three imported fine. Then suddenly the next two would not complete "creationg shadow file", and thus could not be dragged into the timeliine.

Issue 2: Where I wanted to unlink video and audio, that option suddenly does not show as active (not highlighted to click on).

I am not sure what could be behind these two new developments. Don't know if they are related in some way. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Cy,

When someone says 'Importing media problem.....' I think .. oh someone can not get a file into the editing 'room' - NOT ... that it can't be drug down into the timeline.

For Issue 1: I disagree with the premise that the shadow file HAS TO BE created in order to drag a video clip down into the timeline. I think I have drug clips down into the timeline before the shadow files were completed. MAybe you could supply some more information about the source files? DO you have "MediaInfo" - it's a program that - when you right click on a file - you can select options to display a lot of informaiton about the file. If you have that - maybe provide a mediaInfo attachment on one of the files that works and one that does not? MediaInfo is a freeware from some site - google it.

Issue 2: Can you get a screen shot of when that happens and attache that to your next response?

Maybe even more valuable, make your dxdiag and attach that so all can see if there are any issues with your computer too.

Others might have beeter ideas.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2017 14:23

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Make sure you have updated to the latest patch of PD14. That's a good jumping off point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2017 14:30

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, downloaded MediaInfo. Let me just add a note that I noticed about being able to drag the incompleted shadow files into the timeline. They won't drag into the SAME timeline I am working with; BUT, they do drag into a lower timeline. So I guess that will work. Still, I have never had Shadow file generation not complete until experiencing the issue on this project.

I am attaching images of the data from MediaInfo of one file that completes shadow generation and one that does not complete generation.

On screenshot of issue 2, I can't really create a screen shot of that because if I right click in the PD14 program to bring up that menu, it the menu disappears as soon as I do any keyboard action to obtain a screen shot. Same thing with trying the Snipping Tool.

Quote Cy,

When someone says 'Importing media problem.....' I think .. oh someone can not get a file into the editing 'room' - NOT ... that it can't be drug down into the timeline.

For Issue 1: I disagree with the premise that the shadow file HAS TO BE created in order to drag a video clip down into the timeline. I think I have drug clips down into the timeline before the shadow files were completed. MAybe you could supply some more information about the source files? DO you have "MediaInfo" - it's a program that - when you right click on a file - you can select options to display a lot of informaiton about the file. If you have that - maybe provide a mediaInfo attachment on one of the files that works and one that does not? MediaInfo is a freeware from some site - google it.

Issue 2: Can you get a screen shot of when that happens and attache that to your next response?

Maybe even more valuable, make your dxdiag and attach that so all can see if there are any issues with your computer too.

Others might have beeter ideas.

CS
[Thumb - Does Not Complete Shadow.PNG]
 Filename
Does Not Complete Shadow.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
56 time(s)
[Thumb - Completes Shadow.PNG]
 Filename
Completes Shadow.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
57 time(s)
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I will do that now, and let you know if that makes any difference. Question though: Why would these two issues have not showed up before now, since I didn't have the patch then?

Quote Make sure you have updated to the latest patch of PD14. That's a good jumping off point.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks. I will do that now, and let you know if that makes any difference. Question though: Why would these two issues have not showed up before now, since I didn't have the patch then?
Quote Make sure you have updated to the latest patch of PD14. That's a good jumping off point.
Ocassionally a Windows or 3rd party update, or even a PD update can screw the pooch on something seemingly unrelated. Troubleshooting should be done with the most recent patch running, in my view. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cylindrically [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I did the patch and then just started the whole project anew. Issue 1 -- incmplete generating shadow file --was no longer evident. On issue 2, I just avoided having to unlink audio and video. I was tight for time and didn't even want to get into that right now. For all I know that could be corrected as well.

Quote Thanks. I will do that now, and let you know if that makes any difference. Question though: Why would these two issues have not showed up before now, since I didn't have the patch then?
Ocassionally a Windows or 3rd party update, or even a PD update can screw the pooch on something seemingly unrelated. Troubleshooting should be done with the most recent patch running, in my view.