Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD7 keeps crashing
[Post New]
today i have tried to edit some media 7 times and within a couple of minutes it crashed every single time!

All i'm doing is tring to sync media from 2 cameras so nothing too difficult so why does this make it crash?

I've spent a lot of time learning this software but i now feel i need to go elsewhere and buy somthing workable because this simply isn't acceptable.

New drum lessons website launching Jan/Feb '09
lev [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 09:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have had the same problem: version 7 crashed very often! so I needed to save after every change. However, when I installed the patch 2227c, it became surprisingly stable.

This is what I recommend: go to the PD website and install the new version.

I have just finished working a very big 1:30 h project containing a lot of various stuff, it took me 4 days of intensive work and it crashed may be about 5 times and not during editing. Which is acceptable. I think they must have fixed a number of bugs.

Also, this may help: increase the virtual memory in Control Panel -> Sysytem -> Advanced Tab -> Performance (Settings) -> Advance tab -> Change. It is in the Custom size, change both initial and the maximum sizes: say, to 1024 (MB) and 2048 (MB), respectively. You have to have Administrator privileges.

Lev
[Post New]
Quote: today i have tried to edit some media 7 times and within a couple of minutes it crashed every single time!
All i'm doing is tring to sync media from 2 cameras so nothing too difficult so why does this make it crash?
Hi Lev. What you're experiencing could be due to a bunch of things so let's break this down to a few things.

If you are using the PIP feature to cut your second video clips over the main video, PD7 will sometimes crash when you are using the split function while cutting up your clips. This will happen especially when you switch from the movie mode view to the clip mode view. When the program crashes, hit ctrl--alt--delete to bring up the windows task manager window. Look at PD7 in the applications tab. If it says PD7 is "not responding" the cause of your problems is this crash bug.

To "fix" the bug, Shut down PD7. Restart your computer by powering down and restarting. Close as many programs in the task manager as possible. (It's all those little icons at the lower right hand corner. Right click on each one to turn them off.) Start PD7 again.

When you start editing, don't click too quickly while you are editing your PIP sources. PD7 is actually doing stuff in the background but since it doesn't show you a "timer" icon while it's doing this, the program will crash if you try to do another function too quickly after your last one. If you are using color correction, or light balance, this sometimes crashes the program while splitting your videos too.

The second reason may be due to what sort of computer system you have. Doing PIP operations on a computer system that isn't up to spec may also crash the program.

And of course, make sure you have the latest update for your software.
lev [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 09:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

yes, I'd agree with the observation that (i) clicking too quickly and/or (ii) trying to do several things at the same time, may cause the crush. However, sometimes, this happens with no obvious reason. I am very careful in not running anything in the background as well. And my PC is rather powerful although it does require an upgrade I think.

The thing is that when you allocate the memory (e.g. needed to run an additional feature, e.g. cutting or PiP), in any computer language there must be an option to ask if the memory is available at this particular time. If it is not, then there is an option of not running a new feature due to lack of resources, and the user may be informed about this to wait a little. If this check is not realized, the code tries to get the memory which is not there and crushes. This is simply not a very careful programming. In fact, this may crash the entire system as well, and this sometimes happens.

I am just wondering if the actual developers are actually reading all this?

Lev
[Post New]
Lev,

I don't have an answer for you but want you to know you are not alone. PD7 is one of the buggiest pieces of software I've ever used. Pinnacle Studio was once the "king of video editors that crash a lot" but PD7 can now claim the title.

The most challenging thing I do is to edit in AVCHD on a 2 year old computer. PD7 handles it but works feverishly to do so. I waste lots of time waiting for PD7 to constantly scan huge files before it will allow me to advance to the next step.

I also recently purchased Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I'm amazed at how well it handles anything I throw at it without breathing hard. It is extremely quick and never crashes. The down side is that it is far more complicated than PD7 and has no ability to create BluRay menus. For that you must buy their $500 package but even then you'll spend LOTS of time doing the simplest of tasks because everything is from scratch.

I've used many editors in the past and recently converted from Pinnacle Studio to PD7 based on glowing reviews and a feature set that goes beyond the competition when you consider that the other packages constantly are teasing you with supplementary products to enhance the creative process. It is easy to spend over $500 on Pinnacle Studio when you add all the "optional" products and content they offer.

Pinnacle proved that they could make a more stable product though they have a long way to go to be as stable as Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I'm hoping that someday CyberLink will be at least as stable as Pinnacle Studio as PD7's feature set and design is better than most.

So, today I use two products - CyberLink's PD7 and Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I use SVMS to capture, trim, render, and create reverse motion video and PD7 for editing, effects, corrections, and disc authoring.

This was my "work around". I hope you find yours.
Karl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2009 13:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am having crashing issues also. It only seams to work for about 5 minutes and then crashes. And I am on a newly built machine with no junk on it! I have 8 GB of memory. I have installed the latest patch. But the PD7 keeps telling me I need to reinstall it. I think I have installed now 3 times. I have rebooted at least a dozen times. This is fustrating!
[Post New]
OK i have reformatted my laptop.
I have downloaded the update PD7 patch AGAIN!
I have exited all processes i don't need and the only programme i have running is PD7.
I have the movie playback on the lowest resolution.

within 1.5 minutes it has crashed every time - 5 times in a row.

I am so angry as i have learned how to use the software and now it simply won't work as it should.

I'm taking time off work to spend time getting my clips edited and now i've wasted another day - thanks PD7!

What are my options?
Pinnacle aparently crashes often too
i've heard the sony studio often crashes

can i get a refund as i purchased a product that doesn't work?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2009 14:58

New drum lessons website launching Jan/Feb '09
Terry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2009 13:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I know exactly how you guys feel. I'm not a computer whizz kid, I'm just a guy that wanted to tidy up some old cine film I'd had converted on to disc, I'ts not too much to ask is it to expect something you buy, to do what it say's on the lable without keeling over is it? If you buy a new car you don't expect it to keep breaking down do you? & then have to be a trained mechanic to fix it do you?.
I also am very disapointed with PD, keeps shutting down when editing.
Terry