Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
proxy?
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2017 13:36 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
is anyone able to explane how to edit using proxy? in PD15 thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
In Preferences under the General tab place a checkmark in Enable HD Shadow files.
Bring your video clips into the project library and you will see yellow arrows on the HD clips.
Wait until ALL those arrow turn green, this indicates the shadow/proxy files have finished generating.
You can now edit using proxy files, just drag and drop from the Library, PD has secretly quietly replaced your clips with lo-res proxies. When you produce your project PD will know to use the real files on it's own, and your resulting media file will be created from the real originals.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2017 23:30

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In Preferences under the General tab place a checkmark in Enable HD Shadow files.
Bring your video clips into the project library and you will see yellow arrows on the HD clips.
Wait until ALL those arrow turn green, this indicates the shadow/proxy files have finished generating.
You can now edit using proxy files, just drag and drop from the Library, PD has secretly quietly replaced your clips with lo-res proxies. When you produce your project PD will know to use the real files on it's own, and your resulting media file will be created from the real originals.

thank you, I think i might have not asked the right question, i have seen you cand take a 4k clip and convert it to another format like avi import that edit it then close Powerdirector and some how swap the clips? does that make sense? thanks
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote In Preferences under the General tab place a checkmark in Enable HD Shadow files.

thank you, I think i might have not asked the right question, i have seen you cand take a 4k clip and convert it to another format like avi import that edit it then close Powerdirector and some how swap the clips? does that make sense? thanks

You have already seen my response to ShakerAwaiting on this thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51047.page. All three methods, whichever you decide to use, involve the use of proxy files.

Shadow files are proxy

Magic+PD files create proxy files.

The substitution method creates proxy files

PROXY just means to use something else in place of something

In this case by creating proxy files you take huge files and replace them with smaller easier to handle files, when you are done editing, depending on the method you chose, the files are replaced with the originals for production Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sorry. Yes i have seen the other post i was unsure if creating your own prxy files had any benifit

You have already seen my response to ShakerAwaiting on this thread http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51047.page. All three methods, whichever you decide to use, involve the use of proxy files.

Shadow files are proxy

In this case by creating proxy files you take huge files and replace them with smaller easier to handle files, when you are done editing, depending on the method you chose, the files are replaced with the originals for production
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Sorry. Yes i have seen the other post i was unsure if creating your own prxy files had any benifit

Shadow files are proxy

In this case by creating proxy files you take huge files and replace them with smaller easier to handle files, when you are done editing, depending on the method you chose, the files are replaced with the originals for production

Hi cincydroneboy.

The only way to find out what is good for you in terms of time and easibility is to try each method. You don't have to try them with whole projects, just take, say, 5 minute, 4K clip, and see which is the most efficient for your particular need.

But you must remember to perform exactly the same editing on each clip if you are to get a fair comparison, Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Shadow files are proxy

Hi cincydroneboy.

The only way to find out what is good for you in terms of time and easibility is to try each method. You don't have to try them with whole projects, just take, say, 5 minute, 4K clip, and see which is the most efficient for your particular need.

But you must remember to perform exactly the same editing on each clip if you are to get a fair comparison,

I do not have any arrows that show. Do you mind posting a screen shot. Thanks for your time
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I do not have any arrows that show. Do you mind posting a screen shot. Thanks for your time

Attached:
[Thumb - Shadow file Icons.jpg]
 Filename
Shadow file Icons.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Not arrows, they are Icons
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
124 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Good screenshot, Carl. Of course they start as arrows and then become green film icons, I have to be specific to new folks it is easy for them to be led astray in unfamiliar territory. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
[Post New]
ok i got it, thanks for the help! i will try it this way
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure if this is completely relevant here, & I'm reasonably certain these observations have been made previously... but I'll post it just in case.

Robert (The Shadowman) & I were talking backstage about the relative speed of shadow file generation in different versions of PDR, so I ran a little test.

I used 4x 3840x2160 AVC H.264 clips (total duration ~2:20) and 4x 3840x2160 HEVC H.265 clips (also ~2:20 in total). The clips were from a few different cameras.

These numbers reflect performance on one modest PC, but you'd probably expect similar relativity.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure if this is completely relevant here, & I'm reasonably certain these observations have been made previously... but I'll post it just in case.

Robert (The Shadowman) & I were talking backstage about the relative speed of shadow file generation in different versions of PDR, so I ran a little test.

I used 4x 3840x2160 AVC H.264 clips (total duration ~2:20) and 4x 3840x2160 HEVC H.265 clips (also ~2:20 in total). The clips were from a few different cameras.

These numbers reflect performance on one modest PC, but you'd probably expect similar relativity.

Cheers - Tony

At last it would seem that PD15 has brought shadow files up to a reasonable, workable standard.

Tony found that his 2 minutes 20 secs of clips were ready in 1:49.

I did the same test with Magic+PD, and 2 minutes 21sec were completed in 1:42.

So until I do some edit comparisons between Magic and Shadow Files it would seem that Magic has no advantage over shadow files with PD 15. However, with previous versions, as shown in Tony's test Magic has a clear advantage.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
cincydroneboy [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks guys, i will just use the shadow files in PD15 then
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure if this is completely relevant here, & I'm reasonably certain these observations have been made previously... but I'll post it just in case.
It was mentioned here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49583.page#post_box_260748 at release of PD15. Also the no improvement for H.265 also got the traditional in vogue, "passed onto CyberLink" response but 4 months later, nothing.

Jeff
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks Jeff - the memory isn't what it used to be! embarassed

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony - my memory is worse but I seem to recall that you did some tests and shadow files were very low resolution only which may not be ideal for some editing 4k. The advantage to Magic+PD is that you can smoothly edit 4k with 4k relatime preview.

cincydroneboy

Proxy editing is suported in many NLE programs and the user can specify the proxy resolution. Eg if you are editing H.264 4k you can select H.264 1080 or 720 HD proxy resolution. The program automatically generates the proxy files, uses them for edit, and exchanges them for your original 4k files to render 4k out. Proxy editing implies using a lower res file to edit.

Magic+PD uses a process called Transcoding which is now used in many edit programs as an automated process which converts the highly compressed H.264 4k camera files into a decompressed file using an intermediate edit friendly codec which substantially reduces the edit program workload and provides full resolution preview. In other programs you can select a codec like Cineform, DNxHd, MagicYUV, etc and it will create transcoded files prior to edit. For example the free editor GoPro Studo forces the user to convert GoPro H.264 mp4 files to Cineform prior to edit. Transcoding is also common practice in professional post producton edit workflows. PDR doesn't support Transcoding so users created Magic+PD to enable 4k editing on a home PC. It's not perfect, but it works, and may be worth a try

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 05. 2017 11:30

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The advantage to Magic+PD is that you can smoothly edit 4k with 4k relatime preview.
Please explain and elaborate how you get 4K realtime preview with your Magic+PD when PD timeline display for editing is not currently capable of 4K display. From what I and others have posted timeline display in "Full HD Preview Resolution" is currently exactly that, which is not 4K. Maybe PD16, 17, 18?

Yes, PD shadow files are basic MPEG2, 720x480 for NTSC regions.

Jeff
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote The advantage to Magic+PD is that you can smoothly edit 4k with 4k relatime preview.
Please explain and elaborate how you get 4K realtime preview with your Magic+PD when PD timeline display for editing is not currently capable of 4K display. From what I and others have posted timeline display in "Full HD Preview Resolution" is currently exactly that, which is not 4K. Maybe PD16, 17, 18?

Yes, PD shadow files are basic MPEG2, 720x480 for NTSC regions.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm sorry, but you are nitpicking.

When I read the post, it was obvious to me that Al meant full HD preview as high as PD is capable of. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff, I'm sorry, but you are nitpicking.

When I read the post, it was obvious to me that Al meant full HD preview as high as PD is capable of.

Facts are facts, that's exactly what was written and as such I was challenging that it can be achieved and asked for elaboration, that's pretty simply and no nitpicking implied. Maybe a reg hack, maybe a ini file modification allowed timeline playback at 4K.

More than likely AIS simply did not know PD timeline does not display 4K. But also posts that others do
Quote:
Edius was great with real-time 4k preview (up to two layers) on my PC.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/250/46177.page#post_box_251085

So, why is it obvious that I read between the lines and understand what AIS really meant to imply was 4K real-time preview and at PD's real-time limited preview resolution?

Jeff
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff - Point taken - must be old age!! "Edius was great with real-time 4k preview (up to two layers) on my PC." also "meant to imply 4K real-time preview at limited preview resolution" on my PC. Edius 8.2 can display UHD/4k using full screen playback on a 4k monitor via a 4k display port. 4k preview at 4k resolution is also possible in Resolve. I assume you understood what I meant - but I stand corrected.

FYI - "More than likely AIS simply did not know PD timeline does not display 4K" is incorrect - PDR does display a 4k timeline - but not at 4k resolution. Symantics can be confusing

Al

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2017 11:16

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer