Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cropping to portrait format - is this possible?
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Good Morning. A new day a new question!

I am using the Chroma Key technique to put my presenter in places we cannot afford to visit for my documentary. I can get this to work quite well except that I cannot get a full length shot of him presenting as if I go further back for the shots my green screen is too small and I start getting all my living room furniture(!) showing round the edges. I thought if I could crop the clip just to the area of the green screen this would solve the problem. I maybe be missing something obvious here but when I use the cropping tool I cannot see a custom crop option. Each crop seems to retain the same proportions as the original clip.

Do I have to create a mask to achieve what I want?

Regards

Nigel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nigel -

In PDR14, you can only crop a video to the same aspect ratio as the project. i.e. 16:9 or 4:3. PDR15 allows much greater flexibility.

Using a mask should work in your case. If you uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio" in the Mask module of PiP Designer, you can reproportion it any way you wish.

The screenshots attached should help explain.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Presenter Mask.png]
 Filename
Presenter Mask.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
481 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
52 time(s)
[Thumb - Presenter Chroma Key.png]
 Filename
Presenter Chroma Key.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
592 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony,

That is what I thought I would have to do. Nice to know this option is in PD15.

By the way your presenter is much better looking than mine!

regards

Nigel
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I thought we said no pictures of my wife belly-dancing on the threads Tony? Hehehee

CSsurprised PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I had already typed a response to the OP on how to create the mask but saw that Tony sent his response first. After reading his post found that any of the masks near the top would work after unchecking maintain aspect ratio. The green screen subjects are obtainable from sites such as Vimeo and YT.