Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating PIP objects
scardario [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2017 07:26 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I need to create PIP objects out of a sequence of semitransparent PNGs and I realized by looking into the PIP templates installed that some of the PIP objects are a sequence of transparent PNGs packed in a zip and with a cpt file that have a XML structure, and with some thumb and images.

I've been unable to find documentation on how to do this kind of stuff, anyone can point some useful info on how to create PIP objects this way? Is there a tool o a XML specification for this kind of files?

Thank you
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Is PIP in PD15 any different than it was in PD14?

This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kak0ZmxfjEQ is about PD14. GO TO THE 4:17 mark (about) and it starts talking about the PIP feature.

Is this what you are asking for?

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think you are referring to the "in-house" animated PIP objects that come with PowerDirector content packs. There are several people here who understand XML files and the animated PIP structure, they can be changed but I believe the process to be a little laborious. What exactly is it that you would like to accomplish? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Here's another possible option, but it's quite labor intensive. There is probably a better way, though this does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoxs-elMuJ4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
scardario [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think you are referring to the "in-house" animated PIP objects that come with PowerDirector content packs. There are several people here who understand XML files and the animated PIP structure, they can be changed but I believe the process to be a little laborious. What exactly is it that you would like to accomplish?

Thanks CS2014 and Cranston for the replies, I already tried to create a video out of the transparent pngs and tried the chroma option, but chroma is a bit difficult to use properly, as traces of the background color cand be difficult to remove from the semitransparent borders.

Hi BarryTheCrab, what I have is a bunch of character animations made in other software like toon boom. I want to take advantage of the semitransparent nature of the pngs to interact with the background and other objects. As I just mentioned, using chroma is not an options since it's very difficult to use without affecting the image borders, and it's not a static mask as a world spinning; instead it can be a character running, so a mask won't do it.

The process looks laborious but I'd like some indication of how to do it, I can understand XML and basic coding already, and started to analyze the cpts that came with the examples from the content packs, but additional help would be very much appreciated.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scardario -

I can't help you out with editing XML files to get what you want, but the method Cranston posted (which he generated, tested and made the tutorial) will work for you.

You already have your set of PNG files, so you're a good part of the way there.

If you drop all your files (in sequence) in the timeline & set the duration of each image to 1 frame - 00:00:00:01 - you'll see what the sequence looks like. You've probably already done that.

The next step is turning them into a PiP Object template.

First question - how many images are in your sequence? The answer to that affects the subsquent steps.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2017 17:37

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
scardario [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Scardario -

I can't help you out with editing XML files to get what you want, but the method Cranston posted (which he generated, tested and made the tutorial) will work for you.

Thank you for the help!

I already figured out the XML thing thanks to one of the PIPs in the packs. I had already tried the method Cranston posted with some degree of success, but I was having problems dealing with the semitransparency.

For those who are looking for the XML method, is not really difficult:

1. You have have to create a PIP out of the first png on the sequence. Just press the "Create a new PIP object from an image" button on the PIP Object Room

2. Look for it on the hard drive and copy the rest of the sequence pngs (mine was under Documents/Cyberlink/15.0/MyPinPs)

3. Open the .cpt file, in my case, it was "PinPTemplate.cpt", I recommend a text editor such as sublime to do this

4. Under the "Metasource" tag, modify or add the variables "AnimationImgCount" to add the total of pngs and "AnimationImgList" to add the file list separated by a comma and a space. Look for the attachment, the space after every comma is important. If you have to modify "AnimationDuration" you can do it too

5. And that's it. It should work now

Tips:

• Sublime column selection tools and TextPastry plugin help a LOT at the moment of creating the file list inside the .cpt

• Sometimes It's good to compare the variables and tags from the XML to those in other XMLs, just look for another .cpt in some of the installed packs or download one to compare.

• Some PIPs from the packs have their PNGs packed in a zip, I haven't tried with these, I know they use the word "Pre-comp" before every file inside the .cpt. I would recommend skip these and look for a PIP with all PNGs in the same folder as the .cpt file.

I think that's all, it's not really that difficult, it's a shame there's no documentation or tool for this kind of things since it's extremely useful. I'd like to have a reference for every variable and valor inside the .cpt and other similar files.
 Filename
PinPTemplate.cpt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)