Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
video pip question
TomLas1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2016 18:35 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have two video tracks. There are many "clips" on each track, and the clips are contiguous, just split for other editing reasons. One track from each of two different cameras, audio synced to a third high quality audio track recorded at the same time.

Here is what I am trying to do:

Be in control of which track is on the "top" layer of the movie being created. Sometimes I want T1 one the top layer, sometimes T2, depending on the size I want the video frame to be for each track. In other words, sometimes I want T1 to be the main image, with a smaller framed T2 in the corner, OVER the T1 "background" frame. Sometimes the opposite.

Is there any simple way to control the layer a track is on, such as the normal "bring to front," and "send to back?"

Thanks!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
"Is there any simple way to control the layer a track is on, such as the normal "bring to front," and "send to back?"

Hi,
Not as far as I know.

In similar circumstances, I have had to use more complex timelines, playing with smaller "duplicate mini-clips" on differing timelines, coupled with rapid changes in opacity to get the sort of effect you describe.

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Pasta514
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
No, the tracks are layered in the timeline and the track that is in the highest lowest position lays on top of all others, so the upperllowermost track needs to be the PIP, and the one below above it the full screen.

You are really close. But instead of trying to manipulate the two tracks that you have now, just add another track for the each PIP.
I would take the track that is associated with camera1 let it remain as full screen and call that the 'base'.
Then above that put camera2, also full screen track and call that base2.
Then another track below that and call it PIP.
When you want camera2 in PIP on top of camera1 then you need to trim out a section of base2 and move it up into the PIP layer.
When you want camera1 in PIP then trim out a section from the base track and move it into the PIP track.
If you want multiple locations or different size options for the PIP then add additional tracks for each PIP location.

I found an easier way than I previously described. It goes as follows:

After you determine and place all the base layers that you want (one track per based layer.) Then copy each base layer track to a new video track for PIP. Format each PIP display as to the size and location.

Then start trimming out windows where ever you want a PIP or base layer to NOT show up.

Hope this helps!

EDITED: I got the order of tracks reversed. The top track is the bottom in the stack, not the top. I've highlighted the words I've gotten incorrect and replaced them with correct text. Is there a strikethrough ability in this forum?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 10. 2017 00:01

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No, the tracks are layered in the timeline and the track that is in the highest position lays on top of all others, so the uppermost track needs to be the PIP, and the one below it the full screen.
You are really close. But instead of trying to manipulate the two tracks that you have now, just add another track for the PIP.
I would take the track that is associated with camera1 let it remain as full screen and call that the 'base'.
Then above that put camera2, also full screen track and call that base2.
Then another track above that and call it PIP.
When you want camera2 in PIP on top of camera1 then you need to trim out a section of base2 and move it up into the PIP layer.
When you want camera1 in PIP then trim out a section from the base track and move it into the PIP track.
If you want multiple locations or different size options for the PIP then add additional tracks for each PIP location.

Hope this helps!

Pasta 514,

Rather than "trimming out" a section of track one or two, couldn't you just as well copy a section into the PIP (topmost) track? If so, it'd be easier to change your mind by just deleting it from the PIP track...just a thought. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Not saying what Pasta said would not work.. I bet it does.. but I was thinking along what Dan was saying I think... mulitple splits and then making the Track1 clip.. be THE ONE that you wanted to take priority.

I think what Dan is saying involves the 'multiple clips' I refer to. Will take making several 'splits' in the clip and then arranging them - the one's you wanted to take prioirty... putting them in track 1.

Actually putting the portion of the clip in track one... the only way I know how to address your desire. Might be someone around that knows a different approach but...

Probalby a couple different ways to address this... you choose your direction... if a couple work.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2017 09:30

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom -

I think this is roughly along the lines of what Adrian, Pasta, Dan & CS have already suggested, though there's a variety of ways to go about it.

For the toot, I had to use "dummy" clips made of stills but the concept & process is the same (it just looks shonky in preview).

Here's a variant of that which may be of interest - 'specially if you like slicing cucumbers laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Pasta514
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Pasta 514,

Rather than "trimming out" a section of track one or two, couldn't you just as well copy a section into the PIP (topmost) track? If so, it'd be easier to change your mind by just deleting it from the PIP track...just a thought.

I made too many mistakes in my original answer, so I'm posting a revision here:

The tracks are layered in the timeline and the track that is in the lowest position lays on top of all others, so the lower track(s) need to be the PIP, and the upper tracks are for full screen.

1. Start by loading each of the full screen clips into their own track. I call these the base layers.

2. Trim and all all these tracks and determine which is/are the audio source, or use a separate audio track.

3. Once that is done copy each base to a new track at the bottom of the timeline. You can label the tracks as either base or PIP

4. Adjust the display size and location for each PIP starting with the lowest one on the timeline which is the topmost on the display.

5. Then trim out windows in each track where you don't want that material to show.

6. If you trim out too much simply drag the edge os a remaining clip to close up an unwanted window.

the video I made using the method above

here is the PD screen capture of it.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2017 12:14