Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Which is ideal (best) gpu
[Post New]
Please guide on the following:

I puchased AMD FX 8320e, 16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM, Samsung EVO 750 250 GB, Corsair VS450 Power Supply for editing videos using PowerDirector 15. I am confused whether to go for Rx 460 or Rx 470 each with 4gb VRAM.

OS = Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I will be editing Full HD videos at the best. Timeline duration will be around 2 hours.

In your opinion, which gpu is better?

T H A N K S IN ADVANCE!
[Post New]
GTX1050Ti

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2017 09:10

rdailey4 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2010 19:05 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have an HP Pavillion e9290f with I7 920, 18 Gb RAM, GTX 260 video. Video that I take, before any edits, plays back in PD very choppy and slow. Will upgrading to the GTX 1050i help me very much? Editing gets very frustrating right now. Thanks
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have an HP Pavillion e9290f with I7 920,...

very little.

your cpu is THE limiting factor! it's on the turtle side...

happy new year, everyone.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
Quote I have an HP Pavillion e9290f with I7 920, 18 Gb RAM, GTX 260 video. Video that I take, before any edits, plays back in PD very choppy and slow. Will upgrading to the GTX 1050i help me very much? Editing gets very frustrating right now. Thanks

Yes a modern video card it will help. Even a GTX 960 will do miracles and it can be found cheap second hand (eBay).

Also you can look on eBay for i7 970 (or 980) to replace your current CPU, they are fairly cheap six cores (like $150). The only limiting factor will be the power supply in that desktop (when they get old tend to lose their power capacity).

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2017 05:30

rdailey4 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks PepsiMan and Sonic. I was afraid that my CPU might not be very powerful. OK, time to save up.
Paul1945
Contributor Location: South Africa Joined: Apr 12, 2014 14:11 Messages: 327 Offline
[Post New]
Love my Wildebeest

Editing 4 k Only
 Filename
Wildebeest.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
346 time(s)
Pauls PC
X399 AORUS Extreme/AMD Ryzen2970WX/1xQuatro 4000 Driver:Geforce 419.67Skill V DDR4 64GB/3200MHz/Win10 prox64
Intel SSD 750/400 / Intel SSD 750/1.2Tb 1x4TB SSHD /1xSeagate 10TB pro
1xSamsung UA28D590 4k LUMIX GH5 1xLG HDR
rdailey4 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK Sonic, so if I buy the I7-970 and a GTX 960, keeping my current Power Supply for now, is there anything else I should need to do? i.e. remove the battery to clear the BIOS, etc. Thanks for your help.
Pasta514
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similar question, so not sure if this merits its own thread.

I am moving from editing 1080p and 720p source video from 1 to 5 cameras and produce using Sony Movie Studio 12. My new goals are to shoot either 4K or 2K and produce with PD15. This is just a hobby and I occasionally produce 1 to 30 minute videos which I extract from hours of raw footage. My youtube page is: https://www.youtube.com/user/pasta514

My PC is a Core i7-3770 - quad core, multithreaded 3.4GHz with 24GB RAM and SSD storage. No external video card, instead rely on the integrated Intel HD4000 driving a nothing special 1080p monitor. Running Win8.1 OS. Previously the CPU was never fully utilized, when rendering 1080p it runs about 60% utilization. When I've rendered 4K using PD the CPU does become maxed out. But I'm not really concerned with rendering performance, rather performance during editing. I just let it render overnight if necessary.

Based on my previous software I was under the general impression that the GPU would only accelerate special effects and not do much for the types of video I shoot or edit. This is the most complicated post-processing project I've created: https://youtu.be/9GcgGVHaxFA

QUESTIONS:

• Does PD15 use an available GPU differently than my previous software (more than just for special effects)? and therefore, would I benefit from an add-in graphics card considering I still do not intend to add special effects to the videos?

• What are the graphics cards options? I don't do any gaming. I don't want the best (most expensive) one, I want the one with the best price-performance. I see the GTX1050Ti recommended and that's about the budget I had in mind, but don't want to spend the $ if I don't have to.

• What about AMD based cards such as the Radeon RX460? Or are those not recommended for video processing?

• I realize if I upgrade my monitor I will need to add a graphics card regardless, but a new monitor is not in the budget this year.

[Post New]
Pasta514,

Dear friend, please go thorugh following links to find answers to your questions:

Regarding RX 460: buy RX 470 instead of RX 460. RX 460 will bottleneck your CPU.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Regards,

Milind Gavkar
Pasta514
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Pasta514,

Dear friend, please go thorugh following links to find answers to your questions:

Regarding RX 460: buy RX 470 instead of RX 460. RX 460 will bottleneck your CPU.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Regards,

Milind Gavkar

Hello Milind,

Thank you for the references. I have reviewed them and then created a short clip to evaluate. For rendering it seems the integrated Intel HD4000 improves rendering by about 10% when enabled. However, when I preview the same clip (2 tracks of 4K, one PIP and the other with various effects) the CPU load remains below 20%.

So other than any rendering improvement I don't believe adding a video card will improve the responsiveness while editing, making me inclined to wait to upgrade my video card until I also upgrade my monitor.

Am I missing something, or would you agree?

Thanks, Michael/Pasta
LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I really don't understand how you guys manage to run PD on a NVidia gpu. I am trying for years now to make it work and I only can render with my HD4000. Last week, I sent a laptop (MSI with 1050i 4gb) back to the shop because it was impossible to use the card. I have already tried PD on various laptops with various cards (960M..) and no luck so far. I know some will say that I should use a desktop with lots of rams etc etc. Well, this is imo nonsense for PD. I used the Adobes before PD, and yes , they are ram-consuming progs, not PD, so...

I am experimenting now with HitFilm4 Express. Free and for a moment, I was blown away by the possibilities of the program. Hate to leave PD, love the CL programs, but what can I do?

grz

Louis V (Belgium)
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I really don't understand how you guys manage to run PD on a NVidia gpu. I am trying for years now to make it work and I only can render with my HD4000. Last week, I sent a laptop (MSI with 1050i 4gb) back to the shop because it was impossible to use the card.
I have been through something silimiar. Most of the newer gaming laptops use nVidia Optimus or MSHybrid mode. The laptop boots with the iGPU active to conserve power. The OS automatically switches to the dGPU only when required or when an app 'detects' it. Unfortunately, Power Director is not compatible with this technology. You need a laptop that can disable MSHybrid or Optimus in the BIOS.

I just bought a Sager (Clevo) notebook which has this ability and works great with PD15. I can produce a 1hr 1080i HDTV .ts file to 720p MP4 in about 3min with very good quality.

If you are shopping for a laptop/notebook, make sure it doesn't have nVidia Optimus / MSHybrid mode or make sure it can be disabled in the BIOS. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I really don't understand how you guys manage to run PD on a NVidia gpu. I am trying for years now to make it work and I only can render with my HD4000. Last week, I sent a laptop (MSI with 1050i 4gb) back to the shop because it was impossible to use the card.
I have been through something silimiar. Most of the newer gaming laptops use nVidia Optimus or MSHybrid mode. The laptop boots with the iGPU active to conserve power. The OS automatically switches to the dGPU only when required or when an app 'detects' it. Unfortunately, Power Director is not compatible with this technology. You need a laptop that can disable MSHybrid or Optimus in the BIOS.

I just bought a Sager (Clevo) notebook which has this ability and works great with PD15. I can produce a 1hr 1080i HDTV .ts file to 720p MP4 in about 3min with very good quality.

If you are shopping for a laptop/notebook, make sure it doesn't have nVidia Optimus / MSHybrid mode or make sure it can be disabled in the BIOS.

Now this is what I call very useful information !! I have read a lot in the past about Nvidia-CL problems, but the suggested solutions were always something like updating drivers etc.
Now I know at last where to look to avoid possible problems. Thank you so much.

In my despair (I mean I lost hope) I was planning to buy a Clevo N650DU. This notebook has a desktop i7-6700 (not mobile) with HD530. Performance i7-6700 vs my I7-3630QM needs not discussed. Second, HD530 has better performance than HD630 (7th generation) and HD530 has about 100 % better performance than my HD4000. I thought this was the only solution left. Now that I have read your advice, I have a lot more options. My grandson has ordered an Acer gamemachine with a GTX1050. Delivery in a few weeks. I will have a look in his Bios. I will keep you informed how things go. Maybe it would be not a bad idea if there could be a topic with a simple list of bios'es able to turn off the Optimus/MSHybrid mode (tip for the moderators).

grz

LouisV (Belgium)
[Post New]
Just buy a desktop and surely it will be working...