Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Malware in PowerDVD 16 Update
SteveB523 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2011 00:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My antivirus software (WebRoot) detected MALWARE when I attempted to install the latest update (Build 2011) to PowerDVD16. It also detected malware in the next most recent version (build 19xx). The version before that was clean (build 17xx).

In an attempt to be helpful, I filed a ticket with technical support. Their responses has been horrible: "disable your antivirus and install it anyway".

Thanks but no thanks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See your reply in your other post and here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/How-do-I-know-if-it-is-a-false-positive/td-p/271642 .
SteveB523 [Avatar]
[Post New]

First, you never told me it was a false positive. If you think it is, you should tell me that AND tell me why you think it is a false positive.

I believe I have a good reeason to belive its not a false positive - first, there were two files that WebRoot actually removed after the initial install, one of which was named Conduit. That wasn't a false positive - that was real.

Secondly, there are multiple reports on this forum of malware in your download files. That's why I'm not going to turn WebRoot off and download the update files anyway.

Also, it seems to me that you're telling me to do your job: work with WebRoot to figure out whether or not WebRoot is generating a false positive. Had you asked me nicely, I might have been willing to do that, but you didn't.

If you've had issues with WebRoot generating false positives in the past, you didn't give me any indication of that.

And what would happen if WebRoot investigated and determined they were right. What would you do then? Why should I be in the middle?

In any event, I should note that this issue HAS been resolved - not by this obnoxious response - but by a great response to my trouble ticket - they sent me a link to a download for the updated version of PowerDVD (build 2406) that I was able to download without issues from WebRoot and which installed without problems.

That doesn't actually answer whether the posted updage files do have malware in them, but at least it got me to where I wanted to go, and I appreciate it.
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Mar 30, 2014 12:49 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
Updated PowerDVD to 2406 ???

When will be available to the public?
Pete 12 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 21, 2012 09:07 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Updated PowerDVD to 2406 ???

When will be available to the public?

Hi, where to find/download this update ???

This version has not been updated for 4 months now ............! Do NOT GIVE UP!! CyberLink updates PDVD12 next month for solving these frustrating problem!!
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Steve,

Please give as the download link you received.
SteveB523 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Steve,

Please give as the download link you received.

It was only good for 24 hours. It seems logical that they will post a clean update soon.
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have you noticed any improvement ?

OS windows border shadow is still dissappearing when you open PowerDVD without a movie?