Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 7 - Menu designer
Rodney [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 09:37 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to design and customize my own menu page for my latest DVD. I have 5 chapters set and named in the editing section. I have imported the background image I want for the menu and I have chosen the font and style for the menu title and chapter headings.

I now want to set how the menu deals with the chapter.

First off I do NOT want chanpter tnumbnails - so how do I organise this please?

Secondly, in the author mode the program will only allocate me 1 button per screen. How do I change this so I get all five chapter titles on the first page?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

regards

Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Rodney,
After you select "Create Disc" you will see a little spanner icon at the lower left. This opens the Create Disc Preferences window. Select the menu tab then make sure the "enable video thumbnail" option is not ticked.

Be aware that several people , me included, have had problems with menus whereby custom-made menus, or modifications of the standard templates, do not show the selection highlights after the disc is burned. It works fine in the preview, but not on the disc. The workaround is to enable the video thumbnails. Until Cyberlink fix this it is too bad if you don't want them.

To add buttons in the Author mode you need to select "Modify" which opens another window. There are four icons at the top centre, just to the right of Save. The last of these is the Add Button one. Just make sure you have selected Main Page from the Go To pull-down at the bottom.

Cheers
Roger
Rodney [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 09:37 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Roger

Many thanks for that - a step in the right direction.

I still have problems, though.

1. Despite the fact that I have checked carefully and left the thumbnail option unchecked I still get them anyway.

2. Right at the start of the process when I have imported the background jpg background and returned to the creat disc menu I am only offered one button layout in the bottom left hand corner of that screen. How do I get the programme to offer me more options?

Kind regards

Rodney
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Rodney,

1. The thumbnail thing is for Video Thumbnails. When you run preview are they video or stills of the first frame of the chapter? I have the stills in the menu I created and don't know how to remove them. Perhaps insert some colour boards at the start of each chapter.

2. When you create a menu from scratch by selecting New the Menu Designer opens in the Main Page with the My Videos title and 3 items which are place holders for the Play, Menu and Subtitles. If your project does not have subtitles then Item 3 is not used. If you then go to the Chapter page it opens with one button and Item 1, which is the text place holder for the first chapter. Don't worry about the button layout at bottom left -just add as many buttons as you need. Move/resize/modify them as you wish. Select OK to save your custom template. Then you can author the project. If your custom template has 3 buttons on the Chapter Page then the Button Layout at bottom left will show 3 buttons, not a choice of 1,2 or 3.

I don't know if it is possible to create your own menu with a selectable number of buttons. I suspect that the Menu Design feature in PD7 does not offer all the options that are seen in some of the standard templates on offer. If one of these has a special feature that you want, try modifying it to suit.

The issue of menus has been discussed in several threads on this forum over the last few months and there is a lot of information there if you do a search.

Regards.
Roger.