Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to do such transition?
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hello to all!

Please advise me, how to do such edge transition from 100% to 0% like on photo?

For background Color Board I use mask, but for the edges to get such transitions?

Maybe in youtube there is some tutorial, which I didnt find?

Thanks ahead already!
[Thumb - Untitled.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
47 time(s)
PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello to all!

Please advise me, how to do such edge transition from 100% to 0% like on photo?

For background Color Board I use mask, but for the edges to get such transitions?

Maybe in youtube there is some tutorial, which I didnt find?

Thanks ahead already!

Hi Andres,

My best idea. When you use mask. Use Feather radius = 10 at Mask Properties.

Cheers, Anja
[Thumb - feather mask 10.JPG]
 Filename
feather mask 10.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Feather
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
37 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2016 04:30

PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Anja - does that mask feathering - does it feather all the edges when you perform that? Or can you control which edges get that feathering?

Otherwise what I'm about to suggest might be the hard way to do it but - maybe just create an image (like in PS of GIMP) and drag it into PD and go from there. A lot more work I suppose but I think it could be done that way.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Otherwise what I'm about to suggest might be the hard way to do it but - maybe just create an image (like in PS of GIMP) and drag it into PD and go from there. A lot more work I suppose but I think it could be done that way.
CS

Yes, why not!? to make it image with Paint.net, need to try PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
CS

Yes, why not!? to make it image with Paint.net, need to try

Andres

What Anja has suggested works very well for what you want to achive. However, you may have to put a tick into "invert mask" and secondly, you must untick "maintain aspect ratio" Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Like what the Shadowman said that Anja & CS2014 suggestion should work. There are no silver or gray color board in PD14 but that can be obtained from the internet. Example: http://eskipaper.com/silver-background-7.html#gal_post_57791_silver-background-7.jpg . See the attached. There is some work needed like the silver bar need a radial cut at the beginning which I did not do.

1. Resize silver background to a lower third bar after unchecking maintain aspect ratio.

2. Open PhotoDirector. Apply radial filter. Unsharpen.

3. Edit/ Blur tool/radial tool/blur/soft focus. There is no blend tool found in PhD7 (preferred)

4. Exit to PD14. Made screenshot of result.

Have not explored paintnet. Good luck with it Andres.
[Thumb - SnapShot(4).png]
 Filename
SnapShot(4).png
[Disk]
 Description
Lower third silver bar created with Photodirector.
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
34 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andres & team -

Lots of good ideas here! Andres

CS - your thinking is right about masking. All edges are affected.

I tried to work out a simple way in PDR, but taking snapshots of fetahered mask areas is a bit clunky. There are some examples attached, made in Paint.NET, that kind of follow tomasc's steps... but then the feathered top & bottom were cropped off.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. You're right to assume that LT1, LT2, LT4 & LT5 didn't turn out so well embarassed
[Thumb - LT6.png]
 Filename
LT6.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
31 time(s)
[Thumb - LT3.png]
 Filename
LT3.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
26 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Andres.R
[Post New]
hi, guys, thanks to all for replies!

I tried by Anja's advice (Anja, thank you for replieng me first! Greetings to Denmark!), but (by me) there is one problem: all edges are in same, but I wanted exactly only one or two edges be affected. Sorry, if my question wasnt too clear.

And now I'm a little bit cunfused: all you saying, that to do as Anja says, but in this case all edges are affected and this one I didnt want. Or I'm wrong?

Seems Tony's samples are what I need, but then "the feathered top & bottom were cropped off"

PhotoDirector dont have

So, who's advise to follow? PowerDirector 17. Windows 10

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Is this what you are looking for?

" alt="Grey scale wht to blk" height="1080" id="__mcenew" />

Hope this shows up in the reply. It took all of 3 minutes to create... I've been trying to remember how to get a picture posted for the past 20 minutes to communicate it... lol

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Andres.R
[Post New]
Hi,

just noticed Tony's tutorial in youtube for me. Thanks, Tony!

Thanks to others too!

Happy New year! PowerDirector 17. Windows 10

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andres -

This screen capture may help you out a bit. It shows how to do what I did in Paint.NET

There are some masks attached, following up on Anja's suggestion, that you can apply to any image you wish to make a feathered end lower third.

Gaussian Blur should be a standard effect, but Alpha Blur is a separate plug-in

Cheers - Tony

Edit: DOH! Forgot to attach the attached attachments embarassed
[Thumb - FLTMask3.png]
 Filename
FLTMask3.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
97 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)
[Thumb - FLTMask1.png]
 Filename
FLTMask1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)
[Thumb - FLTMask2.png]
 Filename
FLTMask2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 29. 2016 03:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
[Post New]
The image I had put in my previous reply was generated in GIMP and I used the gaussian blur on that to get those left and right edges.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The image I had put in my previous reply was generated in GIMP and I used the gaussian blur on that to get those left and right edges.

I just tried out your idea of using Gimp to produce that lower third. It works well. Hope this inspires other users to create their own lower thirds using image software.

See this New Topic post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50751.page .
CS2014
[Post New]
I was thinking that he (Andres) could just dl .. take the image I had attached in the reply.... and use it if he wanted. Thought that might have worked for him.