Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I blur a fast-motion video?
Doglins Shadow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2016 14:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
When I make a video go at 2.5x the normal speed, it looks very choppy and bad. I have experimented with the "motion blur" effect and, after having watched some tutorials and played around w/it, have come to the conclusion that "motion blur" ONLY WORKS on an object with a designated "path" ABOVE a normal video.

These seems very stupid! Surely there is a way to "blur" a video moving at a very fast speed????

So, if I have a video in which the speed is adjusted to be significantly FASTER than what the normal is, how can I blur it- or even parts of it- so that it doesn't look so choppy and bad while sped up.

Again, I am NOT CREATING A MOTION PATH. This is ONE video, and I want to speed it up fast and look blurry while doing it otherwise it looks choppy.

Thanks, this is a big issue!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Couple of questions to clear up :

Are you referring to the preview or the final production as being choppy?

Can you provide more information on the type of video you are editing and any other effects or enhancements etc you are using?

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Doglins Shadow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 21, 2016 14:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Couple of questions to clear up :

Are you referring to the preview or the final production as being choppy?

Can you provide more information on the type of video you are editing and any other effects or enhancements etc you are using?

Cheers

Adrian

Let's say i am taking the preview "kite surfing," and I set the whole clip to play three times faster. How can I create a similar motion blur effect or smoother FX. It looks nice, but I just feel like something is missing that should be added. A general "blur" FX makes the whole thing blurry, (even toned down) but the whole video without the blur effect looks much too sharp for moving at that speed.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
You're right about Motion Blur. It applies to PiP Objects and Titles, not to video clips.

There are some effects (FX room) that may be useful for you... some are standard PDR FX & some are from NewBlue. You may not have the NewBlue ones - they're from an earlier version of PDR.

Here's what they look like

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
If those don't work for you by themselves, or you don't have access to some of them, you might also try getting a suitable look by using 3 (or more?) copies of the sped up video on differing timelines, offset by, say, 1 frame, the lower 2 overlay tracks with reduced opacity.

If you combine this with the standard PD blur and a circular mask (possibly inverted?) on one or more tracks it may give you something that you can use?

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.