Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Brief question on PD 14 in terms of how it uses hardware?
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
As I am searching for a new notebook to replace the one I have now (which is where I use PD 14) and as I compare specs on the new machine, one thing is important that's not clear to me.

I'm under the impression that for the kind of editing I do - amateur, mainly taking 1080p videos and cutting clips of them, putting together various such clips, adding some titles, some music soundtracks, and then creating a video from this (usually no more than 1 hour long, usually 1080p MP4.)

In this type of work, my perception is that PD 14 mainly uses the CPU during editing and then uses the GPU only for creating the final file? Is this true or false? And thus the main issue with the GPU is how long it takes to produce the final video file?

True or do I have it completely wrong?

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
For HD 1080p video a fast cpu means everything on a laptop pc. The gpu or hardware encoding for h.264 mp4 videos is not necessary at all.

Do remember that 1080p60 h.264 encoding was about 2x faster than cpu encoding with Intel HD 5500 graphics in a previous 1 minute test.
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Quote For HD 1080p video a fast cpu means everything on a laptop pc. The gpu or hardware encoding for h.264 mp4 videos is not necessary at all.

Do remember that 1080p60 h.264 encoding was about 2x faster than cpu encoding with Intel HD 5500 graphics in a previous 1 minute test.

Thanks, I'm currently using PD 14 on an Alienware M17x notebook, old, which uses an Intel i7-3630QM @2.40 GHz CPU. The notebooks I will be getting to replace this all have the latest Skylake (and I'll probably wait for the Kaby Lake systems in the next couple of months.) So that will be quite a bit faster.

The GPU on this is an nVidia GTX680m. but PD 14 doesn't recognize it, so it uses the Intel HD4000 GPU.

While it would be nice to have a faster/smoother PD 14, to be honest it works pretty well now with this older system. So I assume a notebook with the faster Skylake or Kaby Lake CPUs and the faster Intel HD builtin GPUs should run at least as well as what I have now?