Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow and choppy editing???
Pedro369 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2015 05:17 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I have what I believ is a rig that should be able to handle editing HD video but the performance quickly becomes so slow and choppy it's impossible to do anything at all. I try, get frustrated, and end up not doing any editing for a few months; then I try again and the same cycle starts all over again. Is it PD or my rig?

Here's my specs...

Windows Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 64 Bit

PAGE FILE:

C:\pagefile.sys - Space 2.38 GB

VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE:

CyberLink - PowerDirector Deluxe 14

MOTHERBOARD:

Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ Motherboard, Socket FM2+, AMD A78, 2xDDR3, 1xPCIe-16, 1xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, HDMI, RAID, M-ATX

CPU - (PROCESSOR):

3.40 GHz Quad Core AMD A10-7700K APU 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

MEMORY:

16GB - 2 x Corsair 8GB (CML16GX3M2A1600C9) DDR3 1600MHz, Dimm,Unbuffered, CL9, Vengeance Low Profile Heatspreader, Core i7 & Core i5 and Core, 2/AMD Phenom II

STORAGE:

OS & Programs - Adata SSD (ASP900S3-256GM-C) 256GB SP900 Series

Data Storage - 2 x Western Digital HDD 4TB Red NAS

By the way I have a spare Adata SSD (ASP900S3-256GM-C) 256GB available to use in any way that would help.

Your help might save my sanity, and allow me to complete a number of half finished projects!

Cheers,

Pete PowerDirector Deluxe 13 OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
MB: Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ CPU: 3.40 GHz AMD A10-7700K APU RAM: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB)
DDR3 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD SSD: Adata 256GB SP900 Series
HDD: WD 4TB Red NAS 64MB Cache
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
P)lease provide your dxdiag.exe evaluation so we can see the entire information on your computer. Go here. and scroll down. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Pedro369 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote P)lease provide your dxdiag.exe evaluation so we can see the entire information on your computer. Go here. and scroll down.

Hi Stevek,

Thanks for your reply and help. The file you asked for is attached

Pete

Christchurch

New Zealand
 Filename
DxDiag - 2016-11-18.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag File
 Filesize
83 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
PowerDirector Deluxe 13 OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
MB: Asrock FM2A78M-HD+ CPU: 3.40 GHz AMD A10-7700K APU RAM: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
The dxdiag says you has a recent blue screen event. Did you solve that probelm? Do you know what caused it? How did you fix it??

What antivirus are your running? Is it up to date?

Are you having Windows updates problems? Also read this re: ntdll.dll

There are other probleems listed at the end of the dxdiag text file. All seem to point to Windows problems. You must fix these before attempting to fix PowerDirector 14. You computer may try to be doing a circular solution to run the program so it does open - just slowly. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Pedro369 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Steve,

The blue screen event seemed to be limited to when I was saving images off the net. I've since changed the browser I was using and it's not happened again - so perhaps not really a fix?

The anti-virus is Trend Micro Security - Version:11.0.1186. Note that I have Windows Defender Periodic Scanning on as well, should I disable this?

Windows appears to be updating just fine, no problems there.

As to the errors that are showing in the DxDiag file I have no idea what they are or what needs fixing sorry.

stevek
[Post New]
Yes, 2 antivirus programs active can cause a problem.

Use copy and paste to copy the error from the dxdiag text file into your brower and read the options. Don't pay for any fixes and try to stay with Microsoft for solutions.

Make sure that Trend is not set to scan items already on your comoputer. You may be able to set that in the program. For a test, disconnect from the Internet and shut down Trend. See if the editing is any faster. .
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, 2 antivirus programs active can cause a problem.

Use copy and paste to copy the error from the dxdiag text file into your brower and read the options. Don't pay for any fixes and try to stay with Microsoft for solutions.

Make sure that Trend is not set to scan items already on your comoputer. You may be able to set that in the program. For a test, disconnect from the Internet and shut down Trend. See if the editing is any faster.

Hi Pete

My first question is are you editing 4K material?

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Pedro369 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Steve & Robert,

I really appreciate your help. I'll close off Windows Defender, look at the Trend settings and try editing with the antivirus off.

Robert - no I'm not editing any 4k video but I have a Sony 4k camera and want to be able to use 4k in the future so really want to get to the bottom of this.

I put in my second 256gb SSD yesterday, so I'll also try putting copies of the files to edit there and see if that improves things too.

I've also seen there is this 'Magic + PD' solution to choppy and slow editing. Is this something either of you would reccommend?

Cheers,

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
your cpu is the culprit AMD A10-7700K APU at 5190.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

you have enough of everything (gpu, mem, HDD etc) but your cpu!

your cpu is tad faster than AMD Phenom II X6 1065T.

i recommend score of 7800+

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Steve & Robert,

I really appreciate your help. I'll close off Windows Defender, look at the Trend settings and try editing with the antivirus off.

Robert - no I'm not editing any 4k video but I have a Sony 4k camera and want to be able to use 4k in the future so really want to get to the bottom of this.

I put in my second 256gb SSD yesterday, so I'll also try putting copies of the files to edit there and see if that improves things too.

I've also seen there is this 'Magic + PD' solution to choppy and slow editing. Is this something either of you would reccommend?

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete

I suspect that even if you upgrade your CPU you will experience difficulties editing 4K, much the same way as you are now. In fact the symptoms will be very similar to what you have already described. However, don't let that put you off upgrading to 4K. The difference in quality makes it all worthwhile, especially if you have the luxury of a 4K TV.

You mentioned that you were aware of Magic+PD http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page . I was lucky enough to be involved in a small way with its development, and use it myself instead of shadow files. The program is about 8 times faster than shadow files and really quite efficient. If there is a downside, it's that the files it creates are .AVI and are about ten time bigger than .MP4. All you need to do is delete the AVI files when your project is complete. Basically what you do is take your 4K files and run them through Magic and load the resultant files into PD for editing. When you are ready, you produce the project to the original specification i.e. 4K. The great thing is the whole process is lossless.

I also see that you will be working with an SSD which will improve the process greatly.

If you need any help I will try to help if I can.

Good luck

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Pedro369 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Big thanks you to everyone for the advice.

I'm going to try placing the files onto the SSD without using Magic + PD in the first instance and see how much of a difference that makes.

If I need greater improvements, which I suspect will be the case I will then try using Magic + PD. I beleieve this may necessitate the purchase of a larger SSD however to accommodate the larger files sizes created during the process.

Cheers,