Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rewritable DVD very slow to burn.
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I am conducting a series of trials in relation to my problem where the menu of a DVD that I burned does not respond to the controls of my DVD player.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4992.page

This involves burning a number of discs, making one change at a time, until track down the cause. So I am likely to end up with a number of faulty discs until find the answer. So why not use a rewritable? Only problem is that while the project normally burns in about 15 minutes on a DVD-R, the same project takes several hours on a DVD-RW. So long in fact that I have not bothered to find out, but aborted the burn after about 90 minutes, at 16% completed. This is even if I select the same speed, e.g. 4X, for both operations. Is this normal? I have used this drive and same batch of discs to record data files and there were no problems.

I really want to get the menu problem fixed, but would prefer not to waste a dozen discs doing it.

Thanks

Roger.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St Helens, Merseyside, UK Joined: Jul 23, 2007 14:08 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Roger

I often make a trial burn to a dvd-rw. 4.7Gb takes about 40 mins, but time obviously will depend on the complexity of the editing, size of file, speed of processor and write speed of disc etc.

If you are only trying to sort out menu, use very short clips, which will reduce the burn time.

There have been numerous posts on the menu issue try a search.

Tom
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Tom

I ran a trial last night using a single 2 minute MPEG-2 clip with 4 chapters set in it. It took 40 minutes to burn to a DVD-RW. I can burn the full project, a single 100 minute clip with 4 chapters, to a DVD-R in 20 minutes. When burning the rewritable most of the time seems to be the "initialising" phase and the "updating disc" phase. The "producing titles" bit goes fairly quickly.

I have been searching the archives on the menu problem and found several relevant topics with suggestions to try, as well as a few ideas of my own. Who knows, I might even find the answer to a problem that several people have experienced. This is why I am anxious to get a way to speed up the disc burning. At present it's a trade-off between 40 minutes for a test rewritable or 35 cents for each drink coaster I make.

Regards
Roger.