Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7 - Patch 4617a - Don't install it if you have HD DVD's
Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2008 16:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've been having all sorts of problems with PD7 and the latest patch. The patch that is needed because the player stopped playing any DVD's. Anyway with some help from Cyberlink support I got the patch on. Only to find that the menus on HD DVD's no longer work. Odd I thought so sent another mail to the support guys...this was their response -

"Note: The update patch 4617a only supports Blu-ray playback.

Note: After Toshiba made their announcement that it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD format discs and the fact that there will be limited new title releases in HD DVD format, CyberLink has decided to remove HD DVD support from PowerDVD Software. "

So basically the patch has downgraded the software, I don't know where I stand on the trade descriptions act with this as the main product was sold with HD DVD support...now it seems I've lost that. So what now....I have a large number of HD DVD's that I can't view any more......argh!!

Elst [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England, UK. Joined: Dec 26, 2008 04:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm with you Rob!

This is yet another example of a large corporation trying to tell you what and how you can use a product AFTER you've bought it from them!

When you buy a car it's unconditional and you can do what you like with it once you've bought it. The same should apply here - if you bought PowerDVD 7 Ultra for the purposes of playing both Blu Ray and HD DVD then that's what it should do. It's infuriating!

I play both Blu Ray Region A and B films. Do you know how many changes I was allowed using PowerDVD 7? 2! Yes, you read it right, 2!

Everyone else gets 5. I get 2! Why?! Why me?!

I'm not going to get into how I got around that, that's not what this arena's about but Cyberlink need to be a little more customer friendly and give the people what they want. The people will pay if the product is good.

My advice would be to uninstall using something like Revo Uninstaller (which is excellent by the way!) and re-install without patching to 4617a.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

PS: At the risk of getting my knuckles rapped by Cyberlink, WinDVD 9 Plus Blu Ray still supports HD DVD. You might wanna give that a look-see.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2008 04:58