Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Watching live TV in PowerDVD
mva5580 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2016 00:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
So I've been messing with the DTCP-IP live TV functionality of PowerDVD recently due to Microsoft deciding to totally break Windows Media Center functionality in the newest update. While the PowerDVD tv watching functionality does work (I use it with an HDHomerun Prime,) I've noticed that channels tend to consistenly stop playing after a little while. Could be 25 minutes, could be 45, but it always seems to happen after a relatively short amount of time.

Are there any settings/things I can mess with to hopefully improve this, or is this pretty much just what it is? Thanks,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2016 00:21

Bernd1948 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jul 10, 2008 10:18 Messages: 3930 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So I've been messing with the DTCP-IP live TV functionality of PowerDVD recently due to Microsoft deciding to totally break Windows Media Center functionality in the newest update. While the PowerDVD tv watching functionality does work (I use it with an HDHomerun Prime,) I've noticed that channels tend to consistenly stop playing after a little while. Could be 25 minutes, could be 45, but it always seems to happen after a relatively short amount of time.

Are there any settings/things I can mess with to hopefully improve this, or is this pretty much just what it is? Thanks,

Hi mva5580,

Can you please tell us, which settings did you do, to playback IP-TV in your PowerDVD?

Thank you very much
mva5580 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2016 00:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So I've been messing with the DTCP-IP live TV functionality of PowerDVD recently due to Microsoft deciding to totally break Windows Media Center functionality in the newest update. While the PowerDVD tv watching functionality does work (I use it with an HDHomerun Prime,) I've noticed that channels tend to consistenly stop playing after a little while. Could be 25 minutes, could be 45, but it always seems to happen after a relatively short amount of time.

Hi mva5580,

Can you please tell us, which settings did you do, to playback IP-TV in your PowerDVD?

Thank you very much

I didn't change any settings, it's just built in functionality of PowerDVD 16 Ultra. My HDHomerun Prime shows up in the network devices section of PowerDVD and when I go to it all of my channels show up.
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mva5580,

Please contact the customer suport for this concern.

Best regards
Hicham

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 31. 2016 11:37

Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
infobits [Avatar]
Newbie Location: NY, USA Joined: May 31, 2014 00:28 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]

Hello, I am experiencing the exact same problem after being enticed to buy Cyberlink PowerDVD 16 Ultra to view my cable TV channels via a HDHomerun Prime tuner. It is happening on my desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1511 OS. It is an Intel I7 CPU with 16GB RAM and the video card is an AMD Radeon 7700 series. All softwares are at their latest updated versions.

I start PowerDVD in PC mode and it shows all my available network devices and shares including the HDHomeRun DMS tuner. I select the HDHomeRun and select the channels folder which opens up to display all of the available cable channels. I can select any channel to view and it starts playing just fine whether it be DRM protected content or not. That's good. If I just open a channel and leave it playing, like you it will ultimately stop playing and either return to display the channels menu OR it will display the word "Buffering" over the frozen video and then crash and exit with an error reporting dialog prompt to send the error info to Cyberlink. I've used that automatic error reporting dialog box several times now to send in the error logging information it supposedly collects.

I have tried all the possible suggested solutions to try and fix this condition: I've uninstalled PowerDVD and reinstalled it and it did not fix it. I've disabled Norton Anti-virus software, then uninstalled PowerDVD and reinstalled it as administrator, ran it as administrator. Still did not fix the problem. I've removed a latest Windows 10 update to see if it changed things, it did not.

I am at my wits end now on why the HDHomeRun cable TV channels keep crashing PowerDVD. The HDHomeRun box is streaming its video content via wired gigabit ethernet connection. PowerDVD does not handle ethernet LAN connection efficiently it appears also. Also my PC is set up with dual displays off the AMD Radeon 7700 series video card. One display is on DVI and the other is on HDMI connectors.

I have tried also to update the HDHomeRun Prime firmware and software to the latest versions. Still same problem with PowerDVD stops working after a while if I leave it on a single channel and don't change channels. However to make the error crash happen sooner, you can start changing channels and it will always crash and exit. This is BAD. I hope Cyberlink will fix this issue real soon. I bought PowerDVD 16 Ultra just for this reason to replace Windows Media Center disabled by Microsoft on Windows 10. Is there a solution to this crashing issue? If not Please get to the bottom of this and fix it Cyberlink.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Since I notice that PowerDVD seems to error out when the "Buffering" message shows up on the screen, I just rearranged the ethernet wiring connections going to the PC running PowerDVD to by pass the cheap Tenda AC1900 router ports that it was originally connected to. I am suspecting that it is quite possible that the Tenda AC1900 wireless router ethernet ports handling was not passing packets as efficiently as possible. So I moved the ethernet cables to an 8 port Netgear switch by-passing the Tenda router ports all together. After which, PowerDVD seems to be running more stable. I can switch channels now and it does not cause a buffering crash most of the time. I did get it to crash once while changing channels but after that, it seems to be stable. I will now leave it playing on one channel to see if it will still exit and stop playing on its own. I will leave it run all day to see if it still crashes.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I thought all was working well again but it is not. I let the one station play all day since last posting and it did stay playing all this time for several hours without erroring out. So then I tried to change channels again since it seemed to be playing reliably... but as soon as I switched to another channel, BAM! the video froze and said "Buffering" and just stuck there for about 10 to 15 seconds and then PowerDVD crashed and popped up the Report Error dialog window box to send the error report to Cyberlink. I filled it in describing what happened and sent it in. But they don't answer to those reports. So it may be falling on deaf ears. I hope someone at Cyberlink reads this forum and can help with the solution. They need to check the part of their code that handles the network streaming from the HDHomeRun Prime tuner box to check why it always fails when the stream goes into buffering mode. Also why it dies after playing a TV channel stream for a while and then trying to change stations... it crashes like that too. Which tells me that they have a memory leak somewhere in the code or that some critical memory locations are getting over-written in time as the buffer fills up and increases. As the buffer memory fills up it may be crossing over into memory locations that contain critical code and thus corrupting the system. Developers do you hear me? I am an IT Software Engineer myself with experience with software networking development. Please investigate that section of code in PowerDVD 16 Ultra.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Well, I thought all was working well again but it is not. I let the one station play all day since last posting and it did stay playing all this time for several hours without erroring out. So then I tried to change channels again since it seemed to be playing reliably... but as soon as I switched to another channel, BAM! the video froze and said "Buffering" and just stuck there for about 10 to 15 seconds and then PowerDVD crashed and popped up the Report Error dialog window box to send the error report to Cyberlink. I filled it in describing what happened and sent it in. But they don't answer to those reports. So it may be falling on deaf ears. I hope someone at Cyberlink reads this forum and can help with the solution. They need to check the part of their code that handles the network streaming from the HDHomeRun Prime tuner box to check why it always fails when the stream goes into buffering mode. Also why it dies after playing a TV channel stream for a while and then trying to change stations... it crashes like that too. Which tells me that they have a memory leak somewhere in the code or that some critical memory locations are getting over-written in time as the buffer fills up and increases. As the buffer memory fills up it may be crossing over into memory locations that contain critical code and thus corrupting the system. Developers do you hear me? I am an IT Software Engineer myself with experience with software networking development. Please investigate that section of code in PowerDVD 16 Ultra.

Well I dug out my original Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS SSD hard drive and tried PowerDVD 16 Ultra using this very same PC hardware setup and the same thing happens in Windows 8.1 Pro. PowerDVD 16 Ultra still crashes and stops playing TV channels whenever I start changing channels. It just buffers and dies. So I don't know what is wrong with it on this PC. I tried updating and using different AMD graphics card drivers and it makes no difference. Still errors out. Since this is Windows 8.1 Pro, I also can run Windows Media Center which works fine with no problems playing TV video channels from the HDHomeRun Prime tuner box. PowerDVD howerver crashes constantly. I have orderd a new AMD RX 470 8GB video card to try and see if it makes a difference... cost me another $209 for the video card. Not what I wanted to spend when enticed into PowerDVD 16 Ultra bundle.
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Infobits,

Have you contacted the suport team yet?

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Best regards

Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Infobits,

Best regards

Hicham

I have filed a report with Cyberlink today about these video stopping and PowerDVD crashing when changing channels stream from the HDHomeRun Prime cable tuner box.

Update on my latest findings:

If I start PowerDVD and tune it to a DRM NON-PROTECTED TV Channel (like channel 2 for CBS TV in NYC), the video will stream for 25 minutes and then stop and exits back to the TV Channel selections menu. From there I can restart the same TV Channel and it would again play for only 25 minutes and exit back to the channel guide menu. This is consisitently repeatable over and over again.

If I start PowerDVD and tune first to a DRM PROTECTED premium content channel it will show and play without stoppping for a long time until I stop it or change channels. If I change to another DRM PROTECTED content channel it continues to play as long as I want it to. However if I change it to a DRM NON-PROTECTED channel it will crash and exit PowerDVD entirely giving me the error dialog pop-up window to send in the error log to Cyberlink.

These symptoms are repeatable on both Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS as well as Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS on my Intel I7 CPU gaming PC with 16GB RAM, with an Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB DDR5 memory graphics adapter.

There seems to be a bug when switching between using DRM Non-Protected channels and DRM Protected channels that will cause it to crash and burn.

It seems to have a timer threshold of 25 minutes watching any DRM Non-Protected channel. Program allocated Buffer Memory space fills up and quits maybe? Bug in the code.
infobits [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Infobits,

Best regards

Hicham

I have filed a report with Cyberlink today about these video stopping and PowerDVD crashing when changing channels stream from the HDHomeRun Prime cable tuner box.

If I start PowerDVD and tune it to a DRM NON-PROTECTED TV Channel (like channel 2 for CBS TV in NYC), the video will stream for 25 minutes and then stop and exits back to the TV Channel selections menu. From there I can restart the same TV Channel and it would again play for only 25 minutes and exit back to the channel guide menu. This is consisitently repeatable over and over again.

If I start PowerDVD and tune first to a DRM PROTECTED premium content channel it will show and play without stoppping for a long time until I stop it or change channels. If I change to another DRM PROTECTED content channel it continues to play as long as I want it to. However if I change it to a DRM NON-PROTECTED channel it will crash and exit PowerDVD entirely giving me the error dialog pop-up window to send in the error log to Cyberlink.

These symptoms are repeatable on both Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS as well as Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS on my Intel I7 CPU gaming PC with 16GB RAM, with an Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB DDR5 memory graphics adapter.

There seems to be a bug when switching between using DRM Non-Protected channels and DRM Protected channels that will cause it to crash and burn.

It seems to have a timer threshold of 25 minutes watching any DRM Non-Protected channel. Program allocated Buffer Memory space fills up and quits maybe? Bug in the code.

Contacting Cyberlink support on this issue came back with a LAME answer. They said that they do not support it! It's obvious that PowerDVD can play the HDHomeRun TV video streams but Cyberlink seems to have purposely crippled it so that it only plays the DRM Non-Protected channels for ONLY 25 minutes and then stops the video playback. Disappointed.
TOF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2017 12:23 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Infobits,

Best regards

Hicham

Contacting Cyberlink support on this issue came back with a LAME answer. They said that they do not support it! It's obvious that PowerDVD can play the HDHomeRun TV video streams but Cyberlink seems to have purposely crippled it so that it only plays the DRM Non-Protected channels for ONLY 25 minutes and then stops the video playback. Disappointed.

I have the same problem. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit both AU and latest Insider Preview version 15002 using HDHomerun HDHR3-CC for tuners.DRM Channels play perfectly (so far) but non-DRM channels run well for about 25-30 minutes and then revert to the channel selector screen. This is completely repeatable and was reported to Support in early January.

Support came back with a request for more information, perhaps because I pointed out an error in their instructions for locating the SR in the Windows 10 registry. I porvided the following on 1/04/2017 as requested:

PDVD_HKEYLM.JPG, Instruction.txt, DxDiag.txt, ChannelSel.JPG, PDVD_HKEYCU.JPG

To date I have had no additional contact from Support. This does not make for great confidence in CyberLink techincal support.
TOF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2017 12:23 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Infobits,

Best regards

Hicham

I have the same problem. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit both AU and latest Insider Preview version 15002 using HDHomerun HDHR3-CC for tuners.DRM Channels play perfectly (so far) but non-DRM channels run well for about 25-30 minutes and then revert to the channel selector screen. This is completely repeatable and was reported to Support in early January.

Support came back with a request for more information, perhaps because I pointed out an error in their instructions for locating the SR in the Windows 10 registry. I porvided the following on 1/04/2017 as requested:

PDVD_HKEYLM.JPG, Instruction.txt, DxDiag.txt, ChannelSel.JPG, PDVD_HKEYCU.JPG

To date I have had no additional contact from Support. This does not make for great confidence in CyberLink techincal support.

Has or have anybody heard of or seen any response on this subject other than a very loud Silence from CyberLink support?