Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Altering DVD background image/video = crash!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Yes. Both monitors can be connected to the GTX 960. There should be sufficient output connectors for two monitors.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes. Both monitors can be connected to the GTX 960. There should be sufficient output connectors for two monitors.
Of course when I shut off the big monitor PD would not show on the little one maybe because of my settings. Its extended not duped. Also I have installed the proper Intel driver as instructed, but my OPENCL.DLL is dated 1/20/17. I think, gentlemen, it is long overdue to admit defeat. Anything that takes 3 pages with no fix is unfixable. I wish to thank all involved, Cyberlink should wet their knickers with delight at the amazing membership here, and at the risk of hurting anyone's feelings, Jeff, you are at the top of the heap. This is a work day and you still took much time to assist me. Really thankful.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2017 14:56

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Don’t give up. I have a home theatre pc set up with 2 displays. Both are on the amd card, Did not connect the intel integrated graphics at all. All I had to do in the driver control center is to redetect displays and set the computer monitor as primary which had a 1920 x 1200 resolution and a 1920 x 1080 tv as an extended monitor. I can drag anything I want to the second monitor.

I am almost sure that nvidia card users will tell you the same thing. Jeff or another user who uses nvidia cards can help you set it up maybe if you ask him.

If I can do it then millions of others can do it too I hope.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The DxDiag.txt supplied here is the key to seeing Barry’s setup.

I've not been able to glean detailed setup info from the DxDiag, your skills are just better than mine. Yes it tells me what hardware he has but nothing how it's configured. I don't know what display is prime. I don't know how he has set his "Initialize Display First" in BIOS. I simply know he has a monitor plugged into both GPU's so far. Not enough info other than guess for what PD is using as PD's active GPU appears keyed off the prime display.

When I had such a box I used a HDMI switch to change between PD using the iGPU and PD using the Nvidia GPU, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49546.page#post_box_260582 . Others did the same, like here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46535.page#post_box_242575 . The DxDiag will look the same with such setup but one can easily use either GPU in PD so having the DxDiag does not tell me what PD is using. Other users here disable iGPU after boot in device manager so PD uses discrete GPU. Many possible solutions, all of which are difficult to glean from just a DxDiag hence my wrong guess that Nvidia GPU was or had been used for PD.

Barry, I don't know what type of video formats you work with or what formats you produce to or if you like using QS or not so difficult to suggest much for solution, it's really user centric. The easiest way for PD to to take advantage of the GTX960 would be to turn off the HD4600 in BIOS and simply run both monitors off the GTX960. However, doing so will disable QS. Some HP's allowed control in BIOS to disable, some don't, some auto detect if a monitor is plugged in to where, many options, difficult to guess. Check some manuals or simply boot into BIOS and check. The last paragraph here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47907.page#post_box_250514 and the pic is the easiest way to verify what GPU PD is using.

Good luck, sounds like a little cash to the neighborhood geek might be well spent.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've not been able to glean detailed setup info from the DxDiag, your skills are just better than mine.

Barry said in his post at 13:49 that the large monitor is the primary one.

That last link on your above post cause IE to hang on my pc: http…250514 every time. Have to start a new tab each time because placing my mouse cursor on that link freezes that web page. No scrolling available. Maybe it was a bad link.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That last link worked. It did not cause the web page to freeze this time. Maybe a fluke.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Booting in safe mode (admin) I can alter a background. sfc/scannow found no errors. I have never tried to do anything in the bios, except after I put a new added drive in my boot drive/order went haywire and I had to wait for the machine to find the OS every time I fired it up.. I found it difficult to even get into the bios. My friends and workmates think I am the neighborhood WIZARD, but I know better!

EDIT: Every time the menu background works, it works just once or twice (in Normal startup). I had my small monitor on an DVI to HDMI, and I switched that out to both ends HDMI, and disabled the igpu, and now I have no OPENCL, rather I now have CUDA, which I have not seen for ages. Still get the menu crash. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRgh.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2017 09:33

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Booting in safe mode (admin) I can alter a background. sfc/scannow found no errors. I have never tried to do anything in the bios, except after I put a new added drive in my boot drive/order went haywire and I had to wait for the machine to find the OS every time I fired it up.. I found it difficult to even get into the bios. My friends and workmates think I am the neighborhood wiz, but I know better!

Wiz has several meanings... Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote Booting in safe mode (admin) I can alter a background. sfc/scannow found no errors. I have never tried to do anything in the bios, except after I put a new added drive in my boot drive/order went haywire and I had to wait for the machine to find the OS every time I fired it up.. I found it difficult to even get into the bios. My friends and workmates think I am the neighborhood wiz, but I know better!
Wiz has several meanings...
That has been altered for clarity! Anyway, at least my preview, even with many fixes and adjustments, is sorta smooth at HIGH resolution. In the Startup msconfig, is that where I would boot into selective and add drivers 1 by 1 until I get the crash? Sounds rather time-consuming and tedious, but that's what this has already been so... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote and now I have no OPENCL, rather I now have CUDA, which I have not seen for ages. Still get the menu crash. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRgh.

A transient effect from not having the Nvidia drivers installed in the right sequence with a iGPU. Simply reinstall the Nvidia drivers with the clean install option and that msg will be corrected. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49597.page#post_box_260964

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote and now I have no OPENCL, rather I now have CUDA, which I have not seen for ages. Still get the menu crash. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRgh.

A transient effect from not having the Nvidia drivers installed in the right sequence with a iGPU. Simply reinstall the Nvidia drivers with the clean install option and that msg will be corrected. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49597.page#post_box_260964Jeff
I had to get the latest driver, re-enable the igpu and reboot to get the OCL back, mind you both monitors are now on the GTX. Still get the crash. A long time ago CL couldn't figure this out and told me a re-install of Windows would be a good bet, but as previously stated that has pitfalls, particularly the mangled New Blue installs from several versions of PD, loss of my OEM Media Suite. On top of that I might go through all the trouble and still get a crash. 4 pages, 4 freakin' pages here. So you want to be a videographer, sounds fun!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2017 10:11

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That last link on your above post cause IE to hang on my pc: http…250514 every time. Have to start a new tab each time because placing my mouse cursor on that link freezes that web page. No scrolling available. Maybe it was a bad link.

Quote: That last link worked. It did not cause the web page to freeze this time. Maybe a fluke.

tomasc, I think that’s simply CL forum servers, so yes a fluke. As you know and have reported, many long running scripts on some pages and overall a very sluggish forum. This appears worse when some contributors (seasoned and rookies) think they need to fully quote every post in the thread every time they respond. Formatting is all messed up for that anyway which was reported months ago too. I think we just have to get by as is for now, my last response to some forum updates was “Currently CyberLink's web development team is stretched because of many new tasks and features coming in the near future.“

Quote: I had to get the latest driver, re-enable the igpu and reboot to get the OCL back, mind you both monitors are now on the GTX. Still get the crash.

BarryTheCrab, the reenable of the iGPU again is usually a transient effect from not properly uninstalling the current GPU prior to new GPU. Usually one would perform like the following. HP may have something specific though for your particular model.
1) Uninstall current iGPU and remove drivers, this will revert to Windows VGA drivers
2) Shutdown, unplug and open case and add new GPU
3) On reboot disable iGPU in BIOS, save new BIOS and continue boot
4) New GPU will be on Windows VGA drivers so load proper GPU drivers for current GPU

As a last resort on your issue, have you tried moving all your menus out of \Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0\ and see if new menus are okay. You had implied the menu functions okay under different user account. It’s maybe possible you have a bad menu folder in the list. If one would luck out and that’s stable, you can always add them back in groups until unstable again and narrow it down that way.

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote: I had to get the latest driver, re-enable the igpu and reboot to get the OCL back, mind you both monitors are now on the GTX. Still get the crash.
BarryTheCrab, the reenable of the iGPU again is usually a transient effect from not properly uninstalling the current GPU prior to new GPU. Usually one would perform like the following. HP may have something specific though for your particular model.1) Uninstall current iGPU and remove drivers, this will revert to Windows VGA drivers2) Shutdown, unplug and open case and add new GPU3) On reboot disable iGPU in BIOS, save new BIOS and continue boot4) New GPU will be on Windows VGA drivers so load proper GPU drivers for current GPU.

My Order of Installation, as you might guess, did not quite go that way. I was more, Plug'nPlay. What could go wrong? Prior to JL_JL last response, I have the 4600 disabled in the Device Manager, and I did a clean install of the Nvidia driver, and the system does have a bit more POP while doing edits using both monitors, and various impositions (FX, color, etc). What I have now is PD13 has CUDA icon and OCL Hardware Acceleration, PD14 and 15 have only CUDA icons and CUDA HA.
Quote As a last resort on your issue, have you tried moving all your menus out of \Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0\ and see if new menus are okay. You had implied the menu functions okay under different user account. It’s maybe possible you have a bad menu folder in the list. If one would luck out and that’s stable, you can always add them back in groups until unstable again and narrow it down that way.

Jeff

Final word for the moment.... Both user accounts, in spite of my best attempts I can never seem to find a common thread here to pin this down. It works maybe once, then it doesn't, try something else, it works, then it doesn't. BUT, and it's a nice but, I just deleted those custom menus in 3.0, as JL_JL suggested, emptied my temp folder out (no opencl folders seen anywhere) and actually modified 3 downloaded menus in a row without a crash, in PD15LIVE. However I still get the crash in 13 and 14 (non-live). I couldn't care less, as long as 15 works. Now I go back into 15LIVE, and it still works, amazing! Just got 14 to work, but 13 keeps crashing. The common thread appears maybe to be OPENCL, and the custom menu folder. I'm tired, my brain hurts.

NOTE: I have just removed PD13, too bad, she was a good ol gal, thanks for the memories 13.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2017 19:32

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ............................

Barry, your trials and tribulations have left poor ol' Longedge utterly speechless!

Had to re-post this - again! Sluggish internet! And this had only 14 words in it.... Sheesh!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I can't even see Longedge's comment, the post is missing.
So, to sum this up, this is where I am...

• The iGPU is disabled in Device Manager

• The GTX960 is running both monitors using 378.66

• I have only 3 FX items with the Nvidia icon, all GPU labeled effects.

• I have CUDA in HA, though unsure if that is a false flag, or if am losing performance in some way.

• Things SEEM to be running smoothly, and I can alter menu backgrounds many times with no crashes.

• I am unsure of what is best, OCL or CUDA, so for the time I am just going to finish my projects.

• At some point, I will PROBABLY follow JL_JL's instructions and re-install my hardware and drivers.

I have attached a new dxdiag, and Nvidia report for those who find it of interest.
Thank you one and all for your assistance. I will field questions if they appear.

This Forum thread is totally messed up visually, formatting is bungled bigly.
 Filename
DxDiag2-21-17.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDIAG
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
608 time(s)
 Filename
NVIDIA System Information 02-21-2017 09-27-28.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Nvidia system
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
622 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2017 10:50

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can't even see Longedge's comment, the post is missing.
So, to sum this up, this is where I am...

• The iGPU is disabled in Device Manager

• The GTX960 is running both monitors using 378.66

• I have only 3 FX items with the Nvidia icon, all GPU labeled effects.

• I have CUDA in HA, though unsure if that is a false flag, or if am losing performance in some way.

• Things SEEM to be running smoothly, and I can alter menu backgrounds many times with no crashes.

• I am unsure of what is best, OCL or CUDA, so for the time I am just going to finish my projects.

• At some point, I will PROBABLY follow JL_JL's instructions and re-install my hardware and drivers.

I have attached a new dxdiag, and Nvidia report for those who find it of interest.
Thank you one and all for your assistance. I will field questions if they appear.

This Forum thread is totally messed up visually, formatting is bungled bigly.

Keep plugging away at it, Barry, you'll eventually sort it out. As for Longedge's post, it was just a series of dots.

The thread posts are getting out of alignment on this thread - formatting problems, perhaps.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
This post is specifically aimed at JL_JL.

Part 1. Thank you

Part 2. PhotoDirector Live>Preferences> HA=allows for Speed up photo export using OpenCL.
=enable HA for video decoding

Part 3. Colordirector>Preferences>HA=enable hardware acceleration for video decoding

Part 4. Audiodirector>preferences>HA=enable hardware acceleration for video export

Not any of the above applications have an Nvidia nor OpenCL icon anywhere.

Part 5. Powerdirector>Preferences>HA=enable Nvidia CUDA to speed up video effect preview/render
=enable hardware decoding
There does exist an Nvidia icon upon clicking "POWERDIRECTOR".

This information means nothing to me, but Jeff, and skilled others,
may find some tidbit of interesting information to glean from this and file away.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2017 18:56

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Part 4. Audiodirector>preferences>HA=enable hardware acceleration for video export

Part 4 looks funny, are you sure AudioDirector does not say video decoding?

Quote: Part 5. Powerdirector>Preferences>HA=enable Nvidia CUDA to speed up video effect preview/render
=enable hardware decoding

This really is not correct, that message in PD > pref > HA should read OpenCL, not CUDA for a GTX960 GPU. PD simply picking up some legacy stuff in GPU detection. Following the basic steps in the attached pic should rectify.

PS, thanks to admin on request for fixing the post format error

Jeff
[Thumb - Nvidia_378_66.png]
 Filename
Nvidia_378_66.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
713 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2017 21:43

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Yes, Jeff, it said DECODING, as if there could be any doubt.

I did a clean install of the Nvidia driver, installing ONLY the driver, as seen in your image. CUDA is still identified for HA.

Rather shocked actually, that I've mucked up something so completely that even Jeff is scratching his head. But if it were not for Jeff I would not even be this far, as the objective was originally to edit menu backgrounds and that has been obtained. I will complete my projects and then in the "near" future (find the time) go back a few posts to Jeff's initial instructions on the hardware installation and see if I can get the system as it's meant to be. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you don't mind, post your current dxdiag so one can see if all the Nvidia driver names are correct and not coming from the archive FileRepository.

Additionally, did you really disable the iGPU in BIOS or simply disable in Control Panel or some such option like that?

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote If you don't mind, post your current dxdiag so one can see if all the Nvidia driver names are correct and not coming from the archive FileRepository.
Done

Quote Additionally, did you really disable the iGPU in BIOS or simply disable in Control Panel or some such option like that?Jeff
I only disabled the iGPU in Device Manager, as stated earlier, I'm not surprised you missed that considering the length of this topic and the crazy formatting issue that plagued it. I'll have to research a little to get into the BIOS and see exactly how to disable the 4600.
 Filename
DXDIAG2-22-17.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDIAG-2-22-17
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
845 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2017 08:21