Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 15 Ultra bloats file size 4 times
AndrewN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2013 19:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Clipping the ends of MP3 sound files is fast and easy task. I tried to do the same clipping with a short video. The original video was 144 seconds long. File size: 69 MB. Resolution: 1920x1090 | Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC | 30 frames per second

I used PowerDirector 15 Ultra to clip the ends of the video. The new video was 117 seconds long. All the specs were the same. I tried to "Produce" the clipped video using the "Intelligent SVRT." It failed, so I selected the specs manually, including "Fast video rendering technology - Intel Quick Sync Video." To my surprise, the "Fast video rendering technology" struggled for half a minute with this simple task. The file size of the clipped video was stunning - 223 MB. The bit rate of the clipped file was 4 times bigger than the bit rate of the original file despite the same specs.

Am I doing something wrong, or is PowerDirector 15 Ultra a very bad program?

By the way, the "Intelligent SVRT" also failed on "beach 360.mp4" demo included in the PowerDirector 15 Ultra.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Clipping the ends of MP3 sound files is fast and easy task. I tried to do the same clipping with a short video. The original video was 144 seconds long. File size: 69 MB. Resolution: 1920x1090 | Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC | 30 frames per second

I used PowerDirector 15 Ultra to clip the ends of the video. The new video was 117 seconds long. All the specs were the same. I tried to "Produce" the clipped video using the "Intelligent SVRT." It failed, so I selected the specs manually, including "Fast video rendering technology - Intel Quick Sync Video." To my surprise, the "Fast video rendering technology" struggled for half a minute with this simple task. The file size of the clipped video was stunning - 223 MB. The bit rate of the clipped file was 4 times bigger than the bit rate of the original file despite the same specs.

Am I doing something wrong, or is PowerDirector 15 Ultra a very bad program?

By the way, the "Intelligent SVRT" also failed on "beach 360.mp4" demo included in the PowerDirector 15 Ultra.

Bloating umm. Ok, if you run through the page here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49533.page and fill in the "blanks", members will then be able to assist you.

We'll need to know what the MediaInfo is on the video you're editing, your PC set up, a visual/screenshot and what you're actually selecting as a template/profile to output the video as? Creating a customised template is relatively easy. Members will be able to assist you better, if you provide the extra data.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2016 03:27

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew -

If it's bloating the file size, it's probably the video bitrate causing it... even if all the other properties are the same/similar.

As Dafydd said, it'd be good to know the detailed properties of the original clip & the produced file... including the bitrate.

I just took an MP4 of the same duration as yours, trimmed it to 1:53 & produced to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080 @ the same bitrate as the original (I used the + button to customise) and the file size is about what could be expected. See attached screenshot showing original & produced file properties.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR15 Production.png]
 Filename
PDR15 Production.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
174 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AndrewN [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have attached two files to this message.
[Thumb - PowerDirector bloating bug 1.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector bloating bug 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
 Filename
AndrewN64DxDiag.rar
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
303 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew -

What a staggering coincidence! Grandson #1 was watching some YouTube videos the other day. When I saw your screenshot and saw motorcyclist+flood, I realised that may have been one of the videos he was watching. I checked & it was - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOoy7_l2EbI

Downloaded and the properties matched your screenshot. Yes - the bloating is because of the video bitrate. The original clip is 3.93Mbps & your produced file is 15.5Mbps.

If you click on the + button in Produce, you can adjust the parameters to match your original (see attached screenshot).

The other screenshot shows that - with bitrate matched - file sizes are similar.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MP4 Properties.png]
 Filename
MP4 Properties.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
43 time(s)
[Thumb - MP4 Profile Match.png]
 Filename
MP4 Profile Match.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
92 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
46 time(s)

AndrewN [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just took an MP4 of the same duration as yours, trimmed it to 1:53 & produced to AVC H.264 MP4 1920x1080 @ the same bitrate as the original (I used the + button to customise) and the file size is about what could be expected. See attached screenshot showing original & produced file properties.

Thanks. I used your method to reduce the bitrate to 4.2 Mbps. (It is very difficult to set the bit rate to exactly the same bit rate as the original.) Next, I used VLC media player to take snapshots of video frames of three videos: original, clipped and bloated, clipped and unbloated. The frames are shown below. The quality of the frames is similar.

The PowerDirector is unable to simply clip the ends of the video. It decompresses the original video into pixels and compresses them in the "Produce" stage even if there is no need for all this time-consuming decompression and compression.

P.S. It seems impossible to rename videos made by the PowerDirector. If I rename the videos using the operating system, the PowerDirector later complains that the videos are missing.
[Thumb - VLC snapshot - clipped, bloated.png]
 Filename
VLC snapshot - clipped, bloated.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2025 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
23 time(s)
[Thumb - VLC snapshot - original video.png]
 Filename
VLC snapshot - original video.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1979 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
21 time(s)
[Thumb - VLC snapshot - clipped, unbloated.png]
 Filename
VLC snapshot - clipped, unbloated.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1947 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
28 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2016 15:49

ynotfish
[Post New]
What you've found about renaming media is correct. PDR recognises media by its name & file path - so changing either will upset the applecart. Best to avoid, but use "Browse" to locate media if an alert pops up.

A more realistic test would be to use an original file from your video camera. In this case, you're comparing a video that has already been heavily processed by YouTube.

Anyway, you've been able to resolve your bloated file size problem.

Cheers - Tony