Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disc plays in computer, not in DVD player
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I have just made a standard quality DVD Which plays in Windows Media Player on the computer, but does not play in my DVD player.

I used the Christmas No. 1 template and modified it by inserting a different background image and changing the button colours and positions. Also changed the text colours etc. I have no first play video, just the first page with "play" and "chapters" and the chapter page with the four buttons and associated text items.

I burned it again using the Christmas No. 1 template unchanged and it works!
However I don't this menu for a DVD about birdwatching.

Does anyone have an idea of where I have gone wrong?

P.S. When modifying the template it opens up with three "items" on the first page, but when you play it, even in preview, there are only two items, "Play" and "Chapters". I find this very confusing but then there are several confusing aspects of PD7, an otherwise excellent program.

Thanks
Roger
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Roger,

The third item is the placeholder for subtitles, it won't appear in the finished product unless you have created subtitles for a DVD.

Jeff
Walker [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 19, 2008 18:57 Messages: 97 Offline
[Post New]

A lot of DVD players don't like burned DVD's or certain blank media types (mostly units older than 3 years). Have you ever burned a video DVD that your home DVD player would play?

By default (every time) Power Director will try to burn at the max speed of your burner. You might try dropping the burning speed down and see what happens. Mine always defaults to 16x but I've always read you really shouldn't burn video disks any faster than 8x.
[Post New]
I had a similar problem recently, and these forums solved it. Check out this thread and see if the advice helps you..

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4926.page
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice guys. I will try the things you suggested when back to normal after Christmas. What has me perplexed though is that it is OK with the unaltered menu but no good when I modify it. I could try repeating the one that did not work but thought I would ask on this forum before making another drink coaster.

Discs are Memorex printable DVD-R 4.7GB I have burnt several projects without menu to these with no problems.

Thanks Jeff for clearing up the items question.

Roger.