Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
poor resolution/blurry edges in Chroma Key green screen
taewa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2016 23:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Are there any tricks to having a cleaner outline of your profile when using chroma key? i have a nice camera (Canon G7x MarkII) that shoots in hi-def. The video looks great, but when I put myself in front of green screen and use chroma key feature in PD 14, the outline of my body is blurry/pixelated. I have "edge sharpness" up all the way. I thought my preview window would just look funny, but that when I rendered into final video, it would be fine. Could it be my output settings in video production? Let me know if you need me to send YouTube link of video to see what I mean. Any other tricks to clean up the lines?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2016 00:19

Powerdirector Noob
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe your edges ARE blurry...have you checked? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 10:56

taewa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I've checked my edges before adding chroma key, and they look fine. And yes, I have monkeyed around with hue/saturation/luminance, but maybe could always do a better job with lighting. Any other thoughts? Powerdirector Noob
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 10:56

Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Why don't you provide a sample or screenshot? Generelly speaking, your footage is likely to be the cause, as Longedge suggests. You can find plenty of tips how to shoot green screen footage properly on the web. In PowerDirector, I would recommend using NewBlue Chroma Key effect if you have it rather than PowerDirector's native Chroma Key in PiP Designer. One way or another, it may take patient tweaking before you get enough experience and satisfactory results…
taewa [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not familiar with NewBlue Chroma key. Where do I find that in PD14?

Here is a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/TCR0P7KCio8

Powerdirector Noob
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That video link show problems. The 16:9 aspect ratio video is displayed as 4:3 on YT. The video is fairly low resolution at 360p. It’s okay as a sales video. I understand what you are selling.

The NewBlue Chroma key is located in the fx room/All Content/NewBlue Chroma Key. The Pro is included in some versions and is located to the right of it. The green screen is sufficient since the actors are not wearing green and the equipment are not green in color.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
I think the lighting setup causes some reflection of the backdrop color on the foreground objects' edges. Relatively low image resolution probably amplifies the jaggies. It might be useful to see the image before applying chroma key.

NewBlue Chroma Key is one of NewBlue effects in the Essential Effect 2 package accessible in the Effect Room (F4). I believe I have mine from some previous versions of PowerDirector but don't know how exactly CyberLink provides those within each version's installation…

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2017 03:46

David_F [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2017 15:59 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've been using PD14 successfully for 3 or 4 months now, and finally decided to do some green screen work.

I've creaded a 'virtual' studio using outdoor footage, and a digital image of window frames, so it looks like I have a nice studio.

I chroma key out the 'glass' from the digitally created studio to reveal the live outdoor shot.

The window frame image is 1920x1080 - same as the footage behind it.

There is no anti-aliasing on the window frames - just clear, clean lines.

HOWEVER, when it's overlaid & the glass chroma'd out, I get all kinds of fuzzy artifacts & pixellation as the PD14 tries to do some anti-aliasing between forground & background. The net result is atrocious & not broadcastable.

What is the solution to this (I've tried adjusting all the chroma key setting such as saturateion, sharpness etc ) but nothing works.

Its clearly NOT lighting - since the chroma image is a purely digital creation.

Attached is the forground image, and a screenshot of the result when placed over the foortage.

How can the blurring & pixellation be stopped ? If not, this is really poor. Not sure why I should pay for New Blue VI when chroma is supposed to be included with PD14.

Any help appreciated...
 Filename
Result.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot of result after footage placed behind foreground
 Filesize
1175 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
90 time(s)
 Filename
VirtualStudioLge1.png
[Disk]
 Description
Digital foreground window frames with chroma
 Filesize
2179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
77 time(s)
Longedge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at your greenscreen picture I'd suggest that you try to even out the green tones. In one small section of your image there are RGB values ranging between 0,255,0 and 92,238,93. Also, the edges aren't 'clean' presumably because they've been anti-aliased.
[Thumb - large.jpg]
 Filename
large.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
80 time(s)
David_F [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2017 15:59 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Looking at your greenscreen picture I'd suggest that you try to even out the green tones. In one small section of your image there are RGB values ranging between 0,255,0 and 92,238,93. Also, the edges aren't 'clean' presumably because they've been anti-aliased.

Yes, looks like you're correct - I did turn off the anti-aliasing in Fireworks - but perhaps forgot to save it.

I found a cleaner solution...

I saved is as PNG with a transparent background. Then when overlaid it looked much better (and the 'reflection' of the ceiling in the glass at the top was much better - didn't depend on chroma settings)

Thank you for your response !