Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 8 Help with loading
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I have over 2000 large JPG in the library, this causes PD8 to load very slowly on startup, any tips to improve speed? Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
Hello djmorgan,

Welcome to the Photodirector forum laughing

I'm afraid I don't yet have PhD 8 installed on the only PC available here, so I'm unable to make any comparison.

Do you mean by comparison with previous versions? other software? Was the project in question created in an earlier version of PhD?

This is not necessarily a valid comparison, but I just opened a PhD 7 project containing 2217 high res JPGs (no RAW files) and it loaded in a few seconds. All the photos were imported, and are stored, on the same C Drive as the PhD installation.

When my other PC with PhD 8 installed is returned from repairs, I'll do some further testing.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I have only just started to use PhotoDirector to handle my portfolio which consists of RAW images up to the 4Gb each range and JPG around 13Mb each, so you can see a bit of a work load.

PD8 is okay with a small portfolio but when it hits the 2k plus with keywords it will take well over a minute just to load, let alone do any work.

I have ran all the versions of PowerDirector and presently use 14 so it is not a issue related to hardware.

I have requested a refund, and upgrade Lightroom to the latest version which handles my workload without complaint.

Thanks for the assist

David.

Quote: Hello djmorgan,

Welcome to the Photodirector forum laughing

I'm afraid I don't yet have PhD 8 installed on the only PC available here, so I'm unable to make any comparison.

Do you mean by comparison with previous versions? other software? Was the project in question created in an earlier version of PhD?

This is not necessarily a valid comparison, but I just opened a PhD 7 project containing 2217 high res JPGs (no RAW files) and it loaded in a few seconds. All the photos were imported, and are stored, on the same C Drive as the PhD installation.

When my other PC with PhD 8 installed is returned from repairs, I'll do some further testing.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 18:38

Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
Hello again djmorgan,

I've just tested opening the same PhD project containing 2217 JPG files using PhD8. Initially, there was a 25-30 second set-up period where PhD8 was somehow modifying it for use in PhD8. Now, re-opening the project takes only a few seconds.

Obviously that wasn't your experience. I was interested to determine whether it might have been an issue more generally.

I also use LightroomCC, which takes a similar time to import & render photos initially - then re-opens just as instantly.

Thank you for posting your issue & prompting further investigation.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
djmorgan
[Post New]
Hi.

I actually created 2 projects for PD8 one I called basic the other Getty, the Getty project holds 1450 studio quality images and keywords.

Now I don't know if the keywords have something to do with it but every opening even when just opened and closed it takes around 1:20 to load, the folder containing the images is 10+Gb

At any rate I don't want to wast that much time when LR does just as good a job but much quicker.

Thanks

David

Quote: Hello again djmorgan,

I've just tested opening the same PhD project containing 2217 JPG files using PhD8. Initially, there was a 25-30 second set-up period where PhD8 was somehow modifying it for use in PhD8. Now, re-opening the project takes only a few seconds.

Obviously that wasn't your experience. I was interested to determine whether it might have been an issue more generally.

I also use LightroomCC, which takes a similar time to import & render photos initially - then re-opens just as instantly.

Thank you for posting your issue & prompting further investigation.

PIX
Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb