Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Download Speed is Incredibly Slow
injineer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2016 22:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone had recent issues with download speed? I bought PowerDirector 14 Ultimate tonight and it has been downloading for over 3 hours and has at least 6 hours left (speeds of 5-30kb/s).

I saw a thread from a few years ago with a similar issue, but nothing recent.

For reference, I'm on a gigabit connections with download speeds over 900mb/s, I've cleared all extensions/themes/plugins from chrome, I've reset/updated chrome, and I've reset my DNS server to the google public server, still no luck. I atteched screenshots of my download speed and speedtest.net run, and I've submitted an IT ticket, but this seems pretty ridiculous to have to wait 10 hours for a download when I'm on this strong of a connection.

Any ideas or help would be welcome.
 Filename
download speed 09102016.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
download speed proof
 Filesize
262 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
375 time(s)
 Filename
speedtest 09102016.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
speedtest.net verification
 Filesize
277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
358 time(s)
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2016 02:26

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...but this seems pretty ridiculous to have to wait 10 hours for a download when I'm on this strong of a connection. Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Hello injineer,

Jn addition to Longedge's advice, I've experienced positive results in drastically reducing download times, by using the Free Download Manager program. I've used it to downloaded every new PowerDirector since version 9 (?).

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

If I remember correctly, employing The Free Download Manager program to manage my PD14 download resulted in a dowload of less than an hour, to complete downloading all of the PD14 folders, files, and assets over a high speed cable internet connection.

I'm not a techie but was made aware of this download assistance program from a true techie some years ago. So I can't give you any operational instruction or tech details, other than to point out that it apprears to initiate a simultaneous download of several separate streams of a download at the same time. I've never noticed any ill side-effects as a result, nor did I need to disable my Norton Securities.

Just sharing my experience. Perhaps more members will chime in with their diagnosis and further possible solutions.

___________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Quote: ...but this seems pretty ridiculous to have to wait 10 hours for a download when I'm on this strong of a connection. Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Hello injineer,

Jn addition to Longedge's advice, I've experienced positive results in drastically reducing download times, by using the Free Download Manager program. I've used it to downloaded every new PowerDirector since version 9 (?).

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

If I remember correctly, employing The Free Download Manager program to manage my PD14 download resulted in a dowload of less than an hour, to complete downloading all of the PD14 folders, files, and assets over a high speed cable internet connection.

I'm not a techie but was made aware of this download assistance program from a true techie some years ago. So I can't give you any operational instruction or tech details, other than to point out that it apprears to initiate a simultaneous download of several separate streams of a download at the same time. I've never noticed any ill side-effects as a result, nor did I need to disable my Norton Securities.

Just sharing my experience. Perhaps more members will chime in with their diagnosis and further possible solutions.

Just to add to this, Cranston is correct. I have a gigabit connection and was getting speeds of 30k to 85k max. I used the download manager and it downloaded in 35 mins. I was wary of it as usually free stuff has all kinds of stuff that comes with it but it was just the program and nothing more. My will....is not my own!