Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD actually works - also with Kodi
MLUM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2015 02:57 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
As a forum this is only about problems and issues with powerdvd, I thought it would be nice with a thread about positive experiences. With the latest update and running my HTPC with Windows 10 latest updates, I'm actually very happy to report that I believe its a great setup using PowerDVD as a player for Bluray files in HD and 3D. I do not use it for 4K.

My fairly simple fanless HTPC setup uses Kodi as a front-end and calls PowerDVD to play all my bluray movies which are stored on my NAS and it actually works really well. I do not use any other features of PowerDVD, but as a straight-up movie player it works.

I would be happy to elaborate on how my setup works if anyone is interested. Starting one or more user based threads with positive stories and help with actual setups would be nice. As PowerDVD is pretty much the only alternative left for playing Bluray movies (incl. 3D) on a HTPC, I would like to keep it alive.

For me, this software works - and I would like it to continue developing. I would however propose that a 'lite/core' version is made that disbands all the extra 'enhancements' like TrueTheater etc. It's all switched off on my setup.

Anyone with comments or more positive feedback with computer setups that works well with PowerDVD?

PS. I'm not associated with Cyberlink whatsoever!
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MLUM,
That's great to read this.
Greetings
Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
Faiq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2014 10:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MLUM,

Interesting to note that PowerDvD works with Kodi. I also like to play my media files with PowerDvD as its video enhancement option give excellent results in my media room on Projector and at the same time Kodi interface and options are great too. Can you please share how they works togather.

Thanks.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2010 23:43 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I would be intrested in the command line calls that you used. I have some software that catalogs all of my DVD's that have been ripped as ISO files and stored on a Synology NAS.

I woud like to know which exe files to call PowerDVD 16 Ultra in PC and TV mode to play a specific ISO.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2016 01:32

MLUM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2015 02:57 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

To make this work smoothly, and for your Bluray 3D movies as well, I highly recommend an AMD APU setup for your HTPC. I have tried an Intel build but for some reason, Intel is abysmally bad in writing proper drivers for their integrated GPU in their CPUs. They update their drivers twice a year (if you are lucky) and they have for a long time ignored user complaints about non-functioning 3D playback using their chips. Look at the Intel user forums if you want proof.
So. 1st tip - stay away from Intel if you plan to use the integrated Graphics in their CPUs. It's bad for 3D.

Other than that it's not complex. You need a simple script to make Kodi fire up PowerDVD when selecting an ISO file, and in PowerDVD 16 there is only one .exe file to use. Power DVD will start up in the state you last left it in (TV mode or PC mode).

There're tons of scripts and help available on the Kodi website.

Kodi Scripts I use:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="ISO_BDMV_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"><filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayISO.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args><hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<warpcursor>topright</warpcursor>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</player>

<player name="Disc_Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"><filename>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PlayDisc.bat</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>

</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filename=".*\BluRay\.*|.*3D.*" player="ISO_BDMV_Player" />
<rule filename=".*DVD.*" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule filetypes="bd|ifo" player="Disc_Player"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

and....

The PlayISO.bat file:

"@echo off
Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:iso=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO playiso) ELSE (goto next)

:next
Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:mpls=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO plaympls) ELSE (goto playbdmv)

:playiso
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:~1,-25%
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
timeout /t 3
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe" E:\
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
GOTO end

:plaympls
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:~1,-25%
timeout /t 3
GOTO end

:playbdmv
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv=%
set pth=%pth:BDMV\index.bdmv=%
timeout /t 3
GOTO end

:end
exit
"

Hope this helps. :

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 13. 2016 12:02

Mindor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2016 19:37 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MLUM

I can also report that I'm very happy with PowerDVD 16 Ultra ... since the first update ...

I use it in the same way as you, as an external Player for Kodi. I have all my Blu-ray discs as full disc copy on my NAS in ISO format. I use ISO because it is the only way to come not in trouble by playing movies from the FOX Studios. If you play FOX movies as BD Folder structure, you will get a red screen with the warning ...your player is not up to date...

However, my Playercorefactory is a little bit different to your file. Becuause, with PowerDVD16 you can play ISO files direct, without using an extra program to mount it before. So you can forward the ISO file dircet to PowerDVD.

<playercorefactory>

<players> <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">

<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe</filename>

<args>"{1}"</args>

</player>

...etc...

Best regards

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2016 14:26

HTPC: ASRock Beebox-S 7200U ; LG Blu-ray BH16NS55 ; Win10 ; Kodi ; PowerDVD 16 Ultra ; Heimkino: Sony VLP-VW520ES ; Leinwand Stewart Firehawk ; Marantz AV8802a/MM8077/MM8077 ; Piega Coax Serie 5.1.4
MrJoshua [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 21:26 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
How do you call powerdvd from kodi have used kodi "xbmc" for 10 years never knew PD 16 worked with kodi and since kodi can only show a simplified menu for my Blu Rays i backed up to my HD i would really like to use pd 16 so i can watch the special features without having to stand on my head for 30 sec and then select a title from the simple menu and hope i got the right one has not happend yet
You should write a guide on the Kodi Forum or here just remember no links to pirated stuff has to be "legal" well legal as kodi decides.
I DO not support pirated stuff ofc but i do use stuff from the "bad" list but no illegal stuff only to get the most out of kodi like tweaking and stuff and being lazy its easier to use a program then to edit the xml even though i know how to do it so a guide would be very welcome to lazy to look up how to do it myself and since your setup works well
MrJoshua [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 21:26 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
MLUM i can't use that script since my movies are !:1 not backed up to ISO and i see that you call PD 16 so it fires up pd 16 how is that working out for u with surround because my kodi "hocks" my 5.1 Surround when it runs even if i alt tab i can't hear audio if kodi runs in the back ground annoying since i have not ticked the exclusive mode but still kodi will "mute" every other player so if you could make a guide and also make it so kodi closes and "say a small prayer" it does not crash which mine does 7 out of 10 times then call pd when pd exit it calls kodi again i know i am lazy i used a simple bat file when i played World of Warcraft that this something like that i would execute my bat it called a program first then exited launced wow64.exe and when i quit it called the my program again at i did that using dos commands and then saving it as a bat file works even under win 10 so must be possible
I would properly make something like this
taskkill /F /IM Kodi.exe
START "title" [/Dpath] [options] "command" [parameters]\par
because like i said kodi crashes a lot and have to use task manager to kill it when it does so easier to kill it from the start
Mindor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2016 19:37 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi KIM

Forwarding of a backup video file or disc from KODI to PowerDVD is not illegal or difficult. You need not a bat file or special programming. I use it a long time ago with different versions of KODI/XBMC and PowerDVD or VLC. You have only to write a playercorefactory.xml file for KODI. Sometimes it is also good to have an advancedsettings.xml in your Kodi\userdata\ folder. In the playercorefactory file you can write all ruls what you like, e.g. which file types (ISO, avi, mkv, ...) should be forwarded to PowerDVD or another external player or which disc type...

As example I forward all my backup video files from my original DVDs and Blu ray discs and also the discs itself to PowerDVD. Streams I play with KODIs internal video player.

Kodi is always running in the background and you will not have problems with the sound. Also after closing the external player you will come back to KODI.However, this is a link to the official kodi.wiki page where you can find all instructions about playercorefactory.xml and also for the advancedsettings.xml

http://kodi.wiki/view/external_players

http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.xml

Furthermore, you will find a lot of induction videos on YouTube or written instruction in other forums. It is not really complicated, also not for a lazy guy HTPC: ASRock Beebox-S 7200U ; LG Blu-ray BH16NS55 ; Win10 ; Kodi ; PowerDVD 16 Ultra ; Heimkino: Sony VLP-VW520ES ; Leinwand Stewart Firehawk ; Marantz AV8802a/MM8077/MM8077 ; Piega Coax Serie 5.1.4
Henry Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2017 10:12 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have this working MOSTLY but when I quit POWERDVD , Kodi pops up for like 0.2 seconds and then PowerDVD relaunches. It's an infinite loop that's hard to get out of.

<playercorefactory>

<players> <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">

<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe</filename>

<args>"{1}"</args>

</player>

<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"><filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe</filename>

<args>"{1}"</args>

</player>

</players>

<rules action="prepend">

<rule filename=".*\BluRay\.*|.*3D.*" player="PowerDVD" />

<rule filename=".*DVD.*" player="PowerDVD" />

<rule filename="*.iso*" player="PowerDVD" />

<rule filetypes="bd|ifo" player="PowerDVD"/>

</rules>

</playercorefactory>