Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help! Trying to edit .mp4
csivyer2081 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 05, 2016 12:50 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
The quality is crystal clear when I import a video clip from my samsung galaxy S6 and play it through the preview window. However, as soon as I add it to the timeline it says:

"Time frame conflict: The video you added is 30fps the timeline frame rate is 29.97 fps."

However if i go into settings it's already set to 30fps NTSC.

The quality is now massivley reduced with the edges of an object becoming pixilated/blobby.

Customer support suggested I "Now, import the video and produce the video in H.264 by following the steps to create custom settings :You can click on "+" symbol on Produce tab, after selecting H.264 format, to create a custom profile and adjust settings. You can set Resolution, Frame rate here and leave the other settings for the software to select the optimum profile."

This makes no idfference to the quality it is still very pixilated and "blobby". I changed the settings in h.264 to 12800x720 (the orginal size) and to 30fps... still blury!

I've attached a video to show you what I mean.

Is this just a problem with powerdirector, if so it seems fiarly fundamental. Thanks in advance for any help.
 Filename
Issues with PD14.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45787 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 06. 2016 05:31

jamesd1981 [Avatar]
Member Location: kilmarnock Joined: May 19, 2014 04:38 Messages: 78 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The quality is crystal clear when I import a video clip from my samsung galaxy S6 and play it through the preview window. However, as soon as I add it to the timeline it says:

"Time frame conflict: The video you added is 30fps the timeline frame rate is 29.97 fps."

The quality is now massivley reduced with the edges of an object becoming pixilated/blobby.

Customer support suggested I "Now, import the video and produce the video in H.264 by following the steps to create custom settings :You can click on "+" symbol on Produce tab, after selecting H.264 format, to create a custom profile and adjust settings. You can set Resolution, Frame rate here and leave the other settings for the software to select the optimum profile."

This makes no idfference to the quality it is still very pixilated and "blobby". I changed the settings in h.264 to 12800x720 (the orginal size) and to 30fps... still blury!

Is this just a problem with powerdirector, if so it seems fiarly fundamental. Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you setting a reasonable bit rate, such as 15000kbps for 1080p

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2016 06:27

csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello and thank you for your reply. I tried dropping the size to 720 x 480 and a bit rate of 10,000k bps.... but the quality actually comes out worse?! Very strange.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Are both your graphics drivers and pd patches up to date ?

Also what cpu, gpu and ram are you using ?
csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure what graphics driver I have.

PD, I've only just installed (about 3 weeks ago), so assume it has all the latest pacthes.

I have an I3 procesor and 4GB of RAM.

Not sure why this would help though as the video plays fine until I drop it in the timeline. My feeling is that it has something to do with the conflict about the frame rate.... but obviously I'm fairly clueless.
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would check your are up to date, pd might not have been up to date out the box or download

Here is the updates page

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_GB.html
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The quality is crystal clear when I import a video clip from my samsung galaxy S6 and play it through the preview window. However, as soon as I add it to the timeline it says:

First, you can turn off the warning in Preferences > Confirmation.

Secondly you chose the wrong AVC profile, If you click the drop down arrow under AVC, you can choose MP4. also the resolution selection you did not do, click the arrow beside the resoulation, gives many more choices. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Firstly, thank you both for your help.

Jamesd - Very good point, I've installed the latest patches.. it was an older version. Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference.

Carl - Thank you, I've tried that and it's still grainy.

Any other ideas?
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Might be quicker if you did a quick screen record of whats actually happening
csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No problem. I've attached the orginal video that I'm having issues - do you have the same issues - at least this would narrow the issue?

I've also added a screenvideo of what I've been doing.

Interestingly it only happens with videos from my phone (resolution: 1280x720, codecs: AAC, H.264, 29 fps, bitrate: 12698kbps, 29 frames per second. I have no problems with videos from my gopro: 1920 x 1080, 14,874kbps, 29 fps.

Thank you so much for your help.
 Filename
20160721_091544.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7921 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
183 time(s)
 Filename
Capture_10.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27587 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not sure how much affect it would have, but your original video is in 16:9 ratio, but in your screen video at the top your project ratio is set to 4:3

Also the blurry windows on the right is the preview window and it does tend to look more blurry, depending at what level you have the preview quality set at

I will process your original video using your settings and see what happens
csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can't believe how much effort you are going to, I'm so grateful!

Just regarding the preview.... the interesting point is that it isn't blury until I drop the video into the timeline, which is wuite strange.

Interesting to see whether you encounter the same issues!
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I get similar results, when i upscale to 1080p it does clear up quite a bit, but not quite as sharp as the original

If the problem is with your phone and not any other device, would suggest the root cause is the phone setting not in pd itself

First i would advise always should with the phone sideways in landscape mode, not with the phone straight in portrait mode

Second being an android phone are you using the stock camera ?

If so download, Open Camera
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_GB

it is the best android camera and is free with no ads, just check you photo and video resolutions, as far as i recall when your first install they are set to the lowest setting

Try using open camera, shoot in landscape and then try a render
 Filename
1080.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
1080 upscale
 Filesize
6650 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2016 17:25

jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes I think it is something to do with the camera app and or portrait mode

Your original file opens sideways if played in power dvd, i also ran it through freemake file converter and after conversion it also put the video out sideways
csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
James, you're a legend! Tried my phone in landscape and I don't have any problem! I'd suggest that this is a flaw with with PD, I'll see what they say... rather miffed as I have around 3 hours of footage that I now can't use!!

Once again, thank you so much for your time and help!
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No problem
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: James, you're a legend! Tried my phone in landscape and I don't have any problem! I'd suggest that this is a flaw with with PD, I'll see what they say... rather miffed as I have around 3 hours of footage that I now can't use!!

Once again, thank you so much for your time and help!
It is not a flaw in Powerdirector, PD is only using what is imported. The cause is your phone and shooting in Portrait (vertical) mode.

Change your project Aspect Radio to 16:9 so that Landscape is rendered correctly. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. I just downloaded filmora and it handles it fine, so yes i do think it's an issue with PD. I'll email them and see what sort of response I get, but I may be asking for my money back!

More than happy to be proved wrong and for someone to show me how to sort this issue though. Chnaging it to 16:9 just makes thefilm even more landscape and less portrait, which makes the video even worse!
jamesd1981 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm sorry, but I don't agree. I just downloaded filmora and it handles it fine, so yes i do think it's an issue with PD. I'll email them and see what sort of response I get, but I may be asking for my money back!

More than happy to be proved wrong and for someone to show me how to sort this issue though. Chnaging it to 16:9 just makes thefilm even more landscape and less portrait, which makes the video even worse!

Yes after all the testing i did with the file, i would agree it is something in the way pd is handling the file, i tried countless variations of ratio, resolution, format, codec and all were the same

Although this is certainly not pd specific issue, many other softwares did not handle the portrait mode very well

I think because the vast majority of devices and users do not film in portrait, most software is not optimized to process it

Personally i hate portrait mode anyway, i will never use it, it simply makes the video pointlessly narrow, for me portrait mode is for stills only

Although with so many phone apps like snapchat, the amount of portrait mode videos is only going to grow

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2016 10:54

csivyer2081 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does anyone know of a work around. I obviously won't film using landscape again, but need to sort someting for the videos I already have.

Filmora just has a lot of black space either side of the video. Is there a way of doing somethign similar in PowerDirector, ie keeping the size of the video the same to prevent the blurrying and just having black spaces either side?