Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Will PowerDVD 16 Ultra in Region 1 play "Region Free" blu-rays?
DaveF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2016 17:15 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Will PowerDVD 16 Ultra in Region 1 play "Region Free" blu-rays?

I know the answer should be self-evident. But I've never used Region Free discs, much less in PowerDVD. I want to make sure there's not problem before I start spending money on discs.

Thanks.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Yes.
DaveF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks!
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
You can always run the trial first, but it will play region free Blu-rays when set to region one _ or any region.
[Post New]
Quote: Will PowerDVD 16 Ultra in Region 1 play "Region Free" blu-rays?

Hi DaveF,

If it helps make it clear, there's technically no such thing as "region-free" coding in Blu-ray -- Blu-ray divides the world into three regions, A to C, and what we think of as "region-free" means the region coding in that disc is flagged as "yes" for each one of the three regions. So whatever region your player is set to, that disc will play.

DVDs had a different scheme -- 6 regions, 1 to 6, plus a region 0 that was supposed to be like a master key that unlocked all six regions. Some players' firmware had problems with region 0, on occasion.

Anyway, I hope the info might be useful.
DaveF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks.

Turns out to be a moot issue for now. The "region free" blu-rays I was concerned about turned out to be (high quality) pirated copies. (Which I returned when I discovered that.)
[Post New]
Ouch.

I know a few people who've been stung like that, especially buying releases from Spain. Turns out a lot of apparently commercial releases in Spain -- even from reputable online sellers like Amazon -- are pirated and burnt to BD-R discs.