Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director Crashes on Burn
Scott [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 11:02 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director crashes when ever I try to burn a DVD. I've sent an email to support with NO RESPONSE and have tried to call the company, but NO ONE EVER PICKS UP THE PHONE...EVER!!! I've seen online that dozens of people are having similar problems with no positive results! I'm calling the better business bureau, and I'm canceling, or holding payment to them on my credit card until they contact me and fix the problem. No other DVD burning software has a problem on this system except Cyberlinks DVD Suite.
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does anyone out there have a fix for these crashes??? I need to be able to add chapters at specific points on the video and burn it, but, so far on burn, it just crashes!!.........PLEASE HELP!!!.... My client needs this by yesterday..................

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2008 13:02

[Post New]
Hi Scott,

The typical answers that I have received from customer support is to uninstall and reinstall the product. There have been other suggestions as well, but the bug related to burning a DVD with menus doesn't seem to have a fix.

Many users have reported this same problem, but the issue remains.

I have sent my concerns to Cyberlink Headquarters in Taiwan to inform them of all the problems users are having with this bug.

There is a work around...an easy way and a "hard" way.

The Easy way:

You can still burn your DVD project by selecting not to burn menus with it. If your DVD is separated into chapters, you won't be able to use this feature in the DVD menus since they are broken. What you can do, however, and this isn't a perfect solution, is to just add a freeze frame at the beginning of each chapter segment in your time line to "announce" each new chapter.

Your customer will be able to fast forward to each new segment that way and see where each chapter begins. Not a great solution, but at the moment, its better than nothing.

The "Hard Way"

This will take a little PC expertise. When you go to burn page after hitting the "burn" icon, do not check the burn CD box. Instead, check the "save to folder" or what ever that option says. Then, note where the save will be located in the box right of the checkbox. Or if you wish, you can select a location for the save where you want.

Next, go ahead and burn your project. Your entire project will be saved as a video and audio file at the location you or the program selected.

Next, you've got to burn the video file you just made to a DVD. At this point, everything you did for the chapters and dvd menus will be in this video file. (You'll have to make sure that your DVD menus are just the way you want them by doing a preview before you burn it.)

The next step is to get a burning program called DVD Shrink. It is free and can be located on the Internet. Download this program. Run the program and select "Open Files" at the top of the menu. From here, navigate to the saved folder where your video and audio folders were made previously.

Select the whole disc in the menu of DVD Shrink, put a blank disk in your burner, and hit "backup" at the top of the menu screen. This will bring you to another menu where you select the proper options as which DVD drive you want to burn, and a location to store the temporary files. You may have to make a new location for this. You *don't* want to save these temporary files in the same VS (video folder) that has your saved PowerDirector burn folders.

Make a copy and you should have all of your menus and DVD in tact. I know this is a crazy way to do things, but since there is no admittance that there is a bug with PD7 by Cyberlink, this is the only solution/ workaround. And yes, it's ridiculous.

Sorry to hear you're having the same problems as others on here. Hope these "solutions" help.
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for this info!! I'll try this and see if it works.

It's sad that Cyberlink is so willing to take my money for their product, but totally unwilling to comunicate with me when the product I paid for doesn't do what it was intended to....
Scott [Avatar]
[Post New]

Frank,
I tried your suggestions, ( the hard way to a folder) but, unfortunately it still crashes when I hit burn!!..Have you successfully done it this way?

Thanks again for the reply...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2008 15:29

[Post New]
Quote:
Frank,
I tried your suggestions, ( the hard way to a folder) but, unfortunately it still crashes when I hit burn!!..Have you successfully done it this way? Thanks again for the reply...
Yes, the "hard way," is the only way which I can get a burn with the DVD menu in place. The idea of the "hard way" system is to burn your DVD outside of the PowerDirector 7 program. The files that you saved in PD7 when you unchecked the burn to DVD should have been saved to the directory location of your choice when you started the burn function.

Then, the idea is to use DVD Shrink, or a Nero burn program to access this raw data in order to burn to your DVD. Maybe you could list the steps you did to show me what you did so I can debug your steps? This is the only method that I know of at the present that will burn menu DVD info to a DVD.

I was combing the forums and saw some posts way back around June 2008! from users who said that the problem of burning showed up around that time when an update to PD7 was made. Since then, sounds like the bug has never been fixed. The thread just ended abruptly with no more support from Cyberlink.

They suggested that a user switch DVD burners to see if that would work but that was met with a resounding "no."
marek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 04:08 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
hi Scott
try this:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4909.page;jsessionid=51E356B33DE97698D72F63D3A1AD050F