Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Burn to disc" - Strain on the machine?
CAP241 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 22, 2015 15:51 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've seen comments that when "Create Disc" Burns the Final Output to disc instead of "Create a folder" it puts a strain on the machine.

I'm confused. PD does the shows the authoring progress first then the burning progressf how is that different from creating a folder then burning to disc as separate steps?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I'll be interested to see what replies you get to your question because, essentially I agree with what you are saying.

The only benefit of breaking the process that I can see is that, if there have been problems, then it allows you to troubleshoot things more easily.

p.s. by far the most demanding part of the whole process is rendering. Actually burning the DVD doesn't 'stress' the computer anywhere near as much.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 24. 2016 05:20

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I rarely have a problem burning a disc with PD. It is good to read the forums to gain knowledge. It is not good if it confuses you to read other users posts. If you don’t have a problem then don’t worry about it. You might have a slightly better computer than someone that have a particular problem. Don't you think so ... laughing
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Yes,
you CAN go directly from the timeline to the DVD.
However, for many years and several rebuilds of PD, this has been "conventional wisdom". Go ahead and burn from the timeline, but if you get a fail try rendering your file first, and THEN go to Create DVD with that new file. This seems to be a better route to go for marginal computers, I'm not smart enough to know why it's so. I think the user has to find what works, find that sweet-spot for their setup, and work with that. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you Burn to Folder only, you save disks. In case of a failure.

You can play the folder with a software player such as PowerDVD. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That's true, Carl, and is the reason my DVD workflow is to render the final product file to check for mistakes in editing, then use that "perfect" media file in my DVD project. Then after all is complete, export both packages as PPM's, combined in the same folder for archiving. Duplicate media will be overwritten at the last step of that. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
CAP241 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 22, 2015 15:51 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
When you render to an mpg and then create menus and burn disc from the mpg there is a loss in picture quality from original footage isn't there?

Is that just the cost of getting it to burn?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I personally do not see a visual degradation, and keep in mind a vob is an mpeg2 with a different extension so any rerendering would be minimal, but Id love others with a deep knowledge of this exact issue to add to this thread. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
VOB's are MPEG-2 files but with additional control information embedded in them. I don't think there is any way that the burning process would reduce the picture quality. I always think the most important thing is to maintain the resolution of the original footage or at least make sure that resolution is never increased and bit rate is kept as high as practicable/possible.

As I said previously, I think that burning to a folder is a good option for troubleshooting DVD creation problems, and DVD creation is only something I do now if I'm passing stuff on to someone who can't handle an mp4.