Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED: Video Speed Unchecks Itself
GollyRojer
Newbie Location: Dallas TX Joined: May 05, 2016 14:10 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Here's the problem: I select Power Tools; the settings window appears. I check "Video Speed" in the left pane, and the Speed Adjustment button appears in the right pane. I click it. There is a momentary pause, and then "Video Speed" unchecks. The Speed Adjustment window does not appear.

This computer an Asus G20AJ, about six months old. It is dedicated to video creation; PowerDirector is its reason for existing. It has a pristine new installation of Windows 10 Home. I installed only necessary applications and utilities; no superflous junk. PowerDirector 14 is on my D: drive with 754 gigabytes of free space to play with. I installed PowerDirector and two patches in this order:

PowerDirector_2019_GM2_Deluxe_VDE150717-01.exe
PowerDirector_2302a_GM3_Patch_Patch_VDE151023-03.exe
PowerDirector_2820_GM5_Patch_Patch_VDE160411-01.exe

I then loaded an in-progress video project, selected a segment of video, and attempted to speed it up. What happened is described above.

This problem has happened before this; in fact, it was one of a few reasons I decided to do a fresh OS install and PD install.

The only thing I can think is that maybe that second patch causes it. As you can imagine, I'm extremely frustrated with this. I've already lost two days to this computer remake, only to find this problem still here after a fresh install.

Any help is appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 02. 2016 01:24

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just so you know, there is no need to install multiple patch updates, only ever apply the latest.

Appears to me you have a corrupted installation. The issue appears to be unique to your set up.

Have you tested the issue by using the Sample video*, Kite Surfing.wmv?
*rather than using any other video or media content.

Dafydd
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Okay, I have tested it now, and to my surprise the program worked as it should. That's a wmv; I work with mp4s and haven't used any other video filetype in PD. I'm about to begin experimenting, but if you have any more thoughts I'd sure like to hear (read) them. Thanks!

Regarding the patches, I assumed only the latest is necessary, but at this stage, having uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can remember, I'm trying anything I can think of.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
3 to do's
1. Using the sample video in PDR14 produce a H264 mp4 1080p frame size,and then return that video to PDR14 Edit workspace and to the Track (remove the sample wmv video from the track.). Using the mp4 go to PowerTools/Video Speed and alter etc.
2. Please attach the MediaInfo* of the mp4's, the one you had problems with initially and the most recent one you produce. Specifically look at the data and compare.
3. With the original mp4, the one you "work" with, Place the video in the track and unattach the audio. Next, click on the video track and see if Video Speed can be applied. Ignore the audio track for the moment in the test.
*Guide Part J, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page#234744
Just a few ideas.
Dafydd
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Dafydd B, thanks for your response and help. For the benefit of others who may run into this, here is what I have found.

I have had two problems using PD14: this speed issue, and the seemingly random loss of the sound track, as described in a previous post here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48662.page#254882

Now I am blaming my camera rather than PD14. I use the camera built into my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone. By all reviews I've read it is a surprisingly good quality camera. However, I first encountered the sound issue right after an update to the phone's Android software. I posted about it on an Android forum but got no responses.

PD has regularly warned me, "Timeline Frame Rate Conflict: The frame rate of the clip you just added to the workspace (29.86 FPS) does not match the project's timeline frame rate set in General preferences (29.97 FPS)." The FPS of the videos coming from my camera are all over the place in those fractions after 29. When I check PD's Preferences Timeline frame rate, it says, "30 FPS (NTSC)". At first I ignored this, because it didn't seem to have any bad effect on the finished product. But when I researched why the setting would say 30 FPS when the program is expecting 29.97, I found a lot of detail that a noob couldn't know without being told. It's more than I can recount here, but if you don't know about it, it's worth researching. A search string like "30 FPS vs 29.97" should get you going.

So my S6 camera is producing videos with a frame rate that varies all over the milliseconds between 29 and 30, and PD14 objects to them. I wondered if this could be the source of my issues. After learning that 29.97 is a standard industry value, I found a program called Handbrake (free open source) which is a video converter. I set it up so that it converts the mp4 videos from my camera to the same thing, mp4's, but sets the FPS to 29.97. Given the choice of Constant Framerate or Peak Framerate, I have always chosen Constant.

I don't know how Handbrake works. I assume it is by duplicating frames to fill the missing slots. Whatever, when I process the mp4's this way and then load the result into PD14 I don't have either of the problems that were plaguing me before.

Is it possible that I'm the only person using an S6 with PD14? That seems so unlikely, but as Dafydd B pointed out, the problems seem to be unique to me. I don't know what to think. I'm just happy that the videos are working in PD14 now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2016 14:39

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
"... but sets the FPS to 99.97"

I assume you meant 29.97? Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Of course I did. Thanks for pointing it out. Correction made.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to edit the title of your thread to put "Solved" at the beginning. This will alert others with a similar problem to a possible solution... Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6