Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
jerky bluray woes
[Post New]
Hi All

I have moved over to PD14 from Sony Vegas as I loved the way PD made it easier to do key frames and effects etc....but am begining to think it was a wrong move.

I have just finished a project and after viewing lots of tutorials finally got my head around the Create Disk menu preferences etc and created a nice looking Root and Chapter screen etc.

HOWEVER the problem comes when burning to bluray ...I have tried the H.264 and MPEG-2 options and the available 24p/60i/60i (24 Mbps)/60p options.....I havnt tried Smart Fit yet

When I create the bluray with the 24p setting you get a random stuttering making it annoying to watch.

When I create it using 60i etc the normal movement is fluid with no jerkiness BUT high speed movement (like my grandkids dancing) is extremely flickery like a strobe effect and again unwatchable.

The project consists of mainly gopro footage shot at 30fps (29.97) and some from my lumix at 25fps and pics subtitles fades etc.

I did a holiday disc 2 years ago with similar footage in sony Vegas and did the bluray with DVD architect and it played as smooth as silk.

I have a good desktop PC ...i7 3770K/R9 290 GPU/32GB RAM/ SSD etc

I have tried burning direct from PD and also creating a folder and ISO and then using Ashmpoo 14 and 15 to burn the bluray ...but all with the same results (thank god for re recordable blurays!)

I am currently trying doing a burn of the ISO with DVD architect to see if that works.

Hope someone can help me as am close to smashing PD with a big hammer.

I can just about live with it's occasional crashes/My not being able to use NewBlue titler because it thinks my GPU isnt good enough/the way it wont play more than 15 secs of music on the 2nd menu screen (even when set to 99 secs) and the lack of properly explained instructions BUT all this is useless if I cant get a smooth running Bluray...HELP

Tom

P.S. I realise this has been asked many times on this forum as I have read through lots of posts before posting this but most say to burn to a folder or ISO and use 60i etc all of which I have tried.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2016 07:53

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The GoPro cameras can record in pal frame rates of 25 and 50 same as your panny lumix at 25 fps. See this page : https://gopro.com/support/articles/recording-standard-pal-25-50fps-rates . You probably should be recording video at the pal frame rates in order not to have judder seen with mixed frame rate videos. You need to match the frame rates on the videos and BD.

Smart Fit would work as it gives you either 50 or 60 fps video depending on your PD14 settings and length of content on the timeline.

Your other problems can be solved by searching the forums for answers.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
When you go to produce, try turning OFF any settings you have for hardware. It will use software to produce which in the past gave a better looking video product.

I would recommend against "Smart Fit" because it may reduce the quality too much. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Thanks for that Steve ...I wasnt actually 'producing' I was just going from the project straight to 'create disc'

I have 'produced' the project at various stages usually after each days progress to check it looks ok and these have all looked great and smooth.

There are alot more availble choices about various profiles/qualities when in 'Produce' includeing 30p and since it is 30fps footage this is what the renders I have done have been in.

However a '30p' option isnt available when burning a bluray...just 60i 60p and 24p.

I suspect this conflict between 30 fps (or 29.97) and then the bluray burn being in 24p may be part of the problem?

I dont know why though as 29.97 fps footage is pretty standard as is 24p for blurays.

I am currently 'producing' the project at 24p and then will start a new project and use this render on the timeline and try and burn that to see what happens but I may have to add all the chapters again...it's daft if i cant burn straight from the project without 'producing' it first.

re the harware accel....the renders I have done I have used it on and off and they all look fine....with it selected 'on' the R9 290 (if i am able to select it) speeds things up by about 25%.

Yes I agree re Smart Fit...not sure what it is but assume its a way of getting an oversize file onto the disc....No need to use it though as my project is only 9gb and you can get 25gb on a bluray
[Post New]
Update:

So as stated above I tried 'producing' the whole project at Mpeg 2 1920x1080/24p (25mps) THEN from this render burning an image also at 24p then burning a bluray from this image in Ashampoo

The results: EVEN WORSE!...just as jerky and this time poor non HD picture quality as well!

Am getting pretty cheesed off with thios software now!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I tried 'producing' the whole project at Mpeg 2 1920x1080/24p (25mps)

Just as a matter of interest, what was the quality of the MPEG-2 like when you played that before burning it to disc? I take it thast 25mps is a typo for 25Mbps?

I read an interesting article the other day where the author claimed that in the UK 25p is less likely to cause problems with output videos as it is more suited to our 50Hz power supply. Don't know if there is any truth in it, I've always chosen to produce to 1920x1080/25p anyway. Have you tried that?
[Post New]
Hi Tomasc

Thanks for that that's good advice...will make sure my gopro is set like that from now on ...too late for this project but hopefully will make things better in the future

Have emailed cyberlink re problem and will keep searching.

Tom
[Post New]
Hi Longedge

Yes think I will use PAL 25p in future seems a good idea

yes it was a typo

Re the MPEG 2 quality...I didnt actually check the quality on my big screen ..just burned it straight away to try on a bluray.

I will have a look what it looks like soon as the PC its on has finished another trial bluray burn.

Will update any progress here

Tom
[Post New]
There is no more PAL, this is a myth that keeps coming back. PAL is strictly analog, most of the countries switched to digital already. The relation with the mains frequency was valid on first generation of tube TV's, but that issue ended in like 1970's.

Try burning it at 30p or 60i - any modern bluray player and HDTV can play that, even in UK. Native 24p is supported only by a minimal number of HDTV's and usually is converted internally in real time to 50 or 60 fps by cheap circuits, hence the jerkiness.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 23. 2016 08:50

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
@SoNic67 - I'm sure that what you say is true. My main point here is that it's worth at least trying other standard options. For my part I never have any problem with 1920x1080/25p whether mp4 or wmv and for many people (me included) file size matters. I can only say what works for me.

@Pubquiz56 - It was going through my mind that you might not have tried playing the file before going on to burn it to disc. You confirmed what I was thinking. If the file plays OK then to my mind you've eliminated PD as the culprit in your problem.
[Post New]
Hi Soniq67

That is just the problem...in 'create disc' there is no option to burn a bluray at 30p. The only options PD14 gives is 24p 60i or 60p, and like I mentioned I have already tried 60i and although movement is smooth (with no stuttering) the fast motion (my grandson waving his arms around while dancing) was like a strobe flickering effect and unwatchable)....am going to give 60p another try though as am beginning to lose track of what I have tried.

In 'produce' far more options are available of course inc 30p and if I render it in 30p (as I did after each days work so I could view the progress) it plays as smooth as silk when viewed from a USB stick/HDD via the USB socket on my bluray player.

However after creating the menu with all the chapter buttons etc in'create disc' there is no option available to burn at 30p.....is there something I haven't set right and am missing this option?....I realise I could burn the 30p render to bluray and it would play smoothly but it wouldn't have the chapter menu on it.

Longedge...yes I have since played the mpeg 2 24p render I did before burning to disk and it too plays jerky.

So it seems that if somewhere there is the missing option to burn to bluray/ISO at 30p INCLUDING all the menu/chapter buttons created in 'create disc' then all will be fine but like I say I cant find that 30p option

Tom

P.S. I really appreciate the replies and help from you guys.....I have had 2 replies from Cyberlink 'customer support' re the problem and they are just generic replies asking me to do dxdiag's and screen grabs of error messages (which I have told them don't apply in this case) etc etc and provide proof of purchase ..which I have already done by sending a pic of the receipt! but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Proper help seems far more likely in the forum

Tom

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 23. 2016 10:55